Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RD125 YPVS controller in TZR 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: RD125 YPVS controller in TZR 125 Reply with quote

I've spotted a power valve controller for an RD125, I already have a servo for the bike, I just need the controller.

Would this work in a TZR? The connections look a bit different but I imagine they could be butchered to connect to the loom, and they're both similar bikes, single cylinder.

I don't want to fork the money out and it not work... I'm really desperate to get the best of both worlds out of my bike, it pulls really nicely from 4k but just dies around 8k until you shift up.

Any help/advice appreciated on this one, cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:25 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try to fix the problem with the bike you have, rather than trying to bodge on a controller from a totally different bike with a totally different engine? I'd imagine that a powervalve controller from a DT125 of similar era to your TZR would be better than the RD one.

What is exactly wrong with your bike? Do you know?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with my bike anymore. Just needed a top end rebuild and a carb rebuild. Runs sweet as now.

Can't find a controller for my bike anywhere, they pop up rarely on eBay but there are none at the moment, so I'm trying to find alternatives.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:39 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

snorty wrote:
There's nothing wrong with my bike anymore. Just needed a top end rebuild and a carb rebuild. Runs sweet as now.

Can't find a controller for my bike anywhere, they pop up rarely on eBay but there are none at the moment, so I'm trying to find alternatives.

So there is nothing wrong with it, and yet it needs a controller? Are you saying it doesn't have a controller at all?

I'd suggest going to a motorcycle parts place and ordering one, as Yamaha tend to have reasonably priced parts for bikes up to 20 years old. I don't think it would cost you too much to get a new one, and at least you would know it was correct.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:41 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Only the very late RD125s had the power valve, and don't think any UK ones had the control units or servos (and the setup with pretty much the same as the TZR I thought). They were only sold in tiny numbers in the UK. As such I would expect an RD control unit to be far rarer in the UK than a TZR one, and would be suspicious that the one you are looking at is from something else.

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:43 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

So there is nothing wrong with it, and yet it needs a controller? Are you saying it doesn't have a controller at all?

TZR125 in the UK didn't have the servo or controller. They were sold as optional extras if you could prove you had a full license but were uncommon 20 years ago when they were current bikes, let alone now.

Not sure they are still available from Yamaha and the price if available would probably be 25% of the value of the bike.

All the best

Keith

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
MarJay wrote:

TZR125 in the UK didn't have the servo or controller. They were sold as optional extras if you could prove you had a full license but were uncommon 20 years ago when they were current bikes, let alone now.

Not sure they are still available from Yamaha and the price if available would probably be 25% of the value of the bike.

All the best

Keith

This is true... £225 + VAT Shocked

I guess I'll just have to save up for my full test.

cloric_tzr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:32 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

there seems to be a lot of tzr talk. keith is right the pree 1994 tzr's i.e 1987-1989 2rk's 1989-1990 3pc1 1990-1991 3pc2

and 1991-1994 3pc3 all have the ypvs system pegged into place.

they have the plugs avaliable to connect the servo, but a far cheaper option is to do what ive done and open the valve fully takes 20mins.

you get full top end power just like if you have the valve, but you sufer from a splutter at 4.5-5000rpm when not on the valve due to lack of back pressure and torque but once on the valve no problems as the revs dont drop below 7000rpm and scream right up to 11000 most noticable power increase is between 9000-10500 rpm where she really screams.

myself as a precation adjusted the oil pump to allow more oil through which seems to have been the right choice no extra smoke and no overheating ive done 6000 miles with the valve open and she was still going strong.

the only other increase other than power is fuel consumption
i get 80-90 miles to a full tank of fuel and 200-300 miles to a tank of 2 stroke oil (depending on how i ride)

if you do want to buy the servo from what ive seen its 70+ quid fora servo and 40+ for the pulley system.

rick

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:46 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloric_tzr wrote:

you get full top end power just like if you have the valve, but you sufer from a splutter at 4.5-5000rpm when not on the valve due to lack of back pressure and torque

Reason you get it isn't a lack of back pressure. A performance exhaust works by bouncing pressure waves around and they are timed to bounce back to the exhaust port and back away again as the port opens sucking the next lot of exhaust gas out (and mixture in). But the pressure waves move at a pretty constant speed irrespective of revs, so at the engine speeds it isn't optimised for the pressure wave arrives at the wrong moment and rams the exhaust gases back into the engine instead.

The power valve acts as, effectively, variable valve timing on the exhaust and helps to prevent the port timing and exhaust design set up to give you top end from destroying too much of the bottom end power.

But I agree, almost everyone just opens the valve manually.

All the best

Keith

Truzo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 11 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my rd.

I have the servo motor and pulley but no control box!

I have also been told i will need to change my cdi.

There is two kinds of servo. one with the control unit built in and one that isnt, I think it would be hard to mix n match from different bikes.

Your best bet would be to buy new or TRY and find someone thats braking a tzr that has a fully working ypvs system.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1