Which 500?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 15 Aug 2004    Post subject: Which 500? Reply with quote

Which 500 Twin?

Well it seems to be asked quite alot. Which 500 is the best for me? or Which one should I go for? Which one is the fastest?

Many people consider the 500 Twins as a first "proper" bike, which they are very good for! They are also damned good winter and commuter bikes too being light and easily maintained.

Well they all have there advantages and disadvantages. If your not too familiar with the 500's, they comprise of the Suzuki GS500, the Kawasaki ER-5, EN500 and GPZ500S and the Honda CB(F)500. (There are a few other 500's, like the Moto Guzzi V50 and Honda VT500 and CX500, due to these being quite rare and old I decided not to include them.)

And having owned or atleast ridden all of them here is my opinion and some history behind them.

Suzuki GS500 1989 - Onwards

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/gs500_142.jpg

The GS500 has been in production since 1989 and the engine is probably one of the most proven units in a motorcycle, as it started out as a 400cc Twin in the GS400E in the early 70's .
Since its birth in 1989 its hardly changed apart from the usual colour changes and a cosmetic update in 2001 to the tank and seat cowl.
Its the most basic of the 500's and the cheapest to buy new, Its also the cheapest to run with it being air cooled meaning servicing costs are lower and its only group 7 insurance so its very cheap to insure too!
Having been in production all this time spares are easy to come by.

The GS500 is a reliable bike too and very easy to ride, so easy that you will get bored of it in a short period of time, it also has a light flickable feel and its so easy to chuck into bends at speed, but with the GS being 15 years since it was introduced it can loose it composure at higher speed bends. It can begin to shake its head through some bends at 70MPH+, as I'm used to this now it doesn't really bother me and you can deal with it.
Handling is good and so is the engine, just keep it between 6k-9k RPM and it really flies.

Corrosion is a problem in this bike, be aware and look for corrosion on the swing arm, frame, and pitting on the fork stanctions. Also has thin paint so look out for crazing etc.
Other problems reported are fuel starvation due to a design fault of the fuel tap and starter motor brushes wear alot making the bike impossible to start, though this is fixed quite easily.

Prices Range from £400 for a 1989 GS500EK to £3349 for a new GS500K4

My Opinion: Good little bikes, engine power seems to be soaked up by the balancer alot though this makes it a smooth bike, handling betrays the last 10 years of development, go for the better GPZ or CB

Engine Size 487cc
Claimed Dry Weight 170KG
Claimed Top Speed 115MPH
Claimed Power 52BHP
Insurance Group 7
Average Servicing Cost £110

Suzuki GS500F 2004 - Onwards

https://www.sulas.se/bilder/suz_04/gs500f.jpg

New for 2004 the GS500F is a faired version of the standard GS500.
The engine does differ somewhat to the unfaired version with the inclusion of an oil cooler to stop the engine overheating in all that plastic!
There are no other differences between the bikes and it has the same vices and advantages at the unfaired version, but it may hold its value better.

With it being virtually a new bike there doesn't seem to be any used ones at this time, price new is £3649.

My Opinion: Good little bikes, engine power seems to be soaked up by the balancer alot though this makes it a smooth bike, handling betrays the last 10 years of development, fairing adds alot of comfort, go for the better GPZ or CB500S

Engine Size 487cc
Claimed Dry Weight 176KG
Claimed Top Speed 120MPH
Claimed Power 52BHP
Insurance Group 8
Average Servicing Cost £120

Kawasaki GPZ500S 1987 - 2003

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/gpz_146.jpg

The GPZ has been with us since 1987, it uses the same engine as the ER-5 which is basically half a Ninja engine (the original Ninja 900R).
Its hardly changed since its inception in 1987 apart from a few colour and graphics changes, fairing differences, the transition from 16" wheels to 17" wheels and the adding of a rear disc in 1994 on the D1 and the adding of a 2nd front brake disc in 1998 on the D4 UK Model.
The GPZ is also cheap to run but not as cheap as the GS, its water-cooled so servicing is slightly harder, an Achilles heel of the EX500 engine is that the water pipes run across the top of the engine meaning the coolant has to be dropped out for the valves and top end to be checked, Also there are alternator problems on earlier A Models (A1-A6) though the later D and E Models are not affected.
Also don't neglect the the oil changes on this bike because its widely known if they are missed the engine could be in trouble as early as 20,000 Miles.
The GPZ is very reliable though it servicing is kept up, and its also very easy to ride and can spin up to quite a respectable speed. Insurance is cheap too with it being group 9 though it does cost more to insure than the GS or ER.
The GPZ is also bloody good fun to ride, it can easily be ridden round town at sedate pace but get it above 7000RPM and it takes off and you can be a total loon.

The GPZ is one of the better handling 500's, it can be chucked into bends and doesn't loose any of it composure at all, its light and precise and can be ridden hard without much thought.
The fairing also adds comfort and you can go long distances without fatigue.

Corrosion is also a problem on the GPZ, look out for it in the usual places and importantly on the steel frame under the top fairing.

Prices start from £300 for a rather bad condition 1987 GPZ500S A1 to £3595 for one of the last unregistered ones still remaining in dealerships.

My Opinion: The best 500, handles great, well put together, engine is abit of an animal at higher revs too, fairing makes cruising at higher speed attainable and means you can go further.

Engine Size 498cc
Claimed Dry Weight 169KG
Claimed Top Speed 125MPH
Claimed Power 60BHP
Insurance Group 9
Average Servicing Cost £130

(The GPZ500S is no longer imported or for sale new in the UK)

Kawasaki ER-5 1996 - Onwards

https://www.motorradwelt-auer.de/Motorraeder/KawasakiNeu/Modelle%202002/Sportler/er5blkg.jpg

The ER-5 is basically a GPZ500 with the fairing removed and a retuned EX500 engine for more torque lower down but this takes away the power kick at 7000RPM that the GPZ has.

The ER-5 has some what of a top heavy feel, you can feel it at slow speeds and when setting off, it also doesn't go threw bends aswell as the GS or GPZ, but it does feel more composed maybe down to the weight. The gearbox is also spot on too though it does clunk alot at slower speeds and the engine has a wide spread of power.

Corrosion affects this bike too, more so than the GS and GPZ. Look out for it on the swing arm and frame.
Look out for electrical problems on the ER-5, as it suffers with dodgy rectifiers (most go between 10,000 and 20,000 Miles) and can take out batteries often (problem has been reported on all current models), also speedo cables snap often, also check for sagging rear shocks as they can be worn out in as little as 10,000 Miles and cause the bike to fail its MoT.

Prices start from £800 for an early 1996 model in reasonable condition with higher miles to £3499 for a brand new one.

My Opinion: GPZ500 with the fairing removed, good for the newbie but not as good or aswell put together than the GPZ, go for the GPZ instead or the GS500

Engine Size 498cc
Claimed Dry Weight 174KG
Claimed Top Speed 110MPH
Claimed Power 49BHP
Insurance Group 8
Average Servicing Cost £125

Honda CB500 1994 - 2003

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/cb500.jpg

The Honda CB500 introduced in 1994 is probably the best 500, with the usual honda build quality.
As far as I know there are no major problems with the CB, though there are a few reports of dodgy rectifiers (a usual honda problem).
The CB is very reliable though, its been tested upto 200,000 miles by honda and was used in 24 hour endurance races at Le Mans and ALL of the CB's raced finished without problems!
They also race CB500's in the CB500 Cup!

Having only ridden a CB500 once, I found the handling to be very very good, It would just go where I pointed it like it was on rails, its also very light and easily flicked into bends and is spot on and doesn't loose its way even going at speed!
The engine is also really nice and smooth and get it above 7500RPM and it comes alive, and lunges forward right up to the red line!

Corrosion normally isn't a problem on the CB500 with it being a Honda but do check out for signs of pitting on the forks and the usual areas on the frame/swing arm.

There is also a S version which is basically a CB500 with a top fairing.

Prices start from £600 for an early 1994 high miler to £2900 for one of the last 2002/2003 models with low mileage.

My Opinion: The best handling 500, well put together too, costs more than the other bikes and I cannot really justify this extra expense over the GPZ which is equally as good.

Engine Size 499cc
Claimed Dry Weight 170KG
Claimed Top Speed 120MPH
Claimed Power 57BHP
Insurance Group 9

Honda CBF500 2004 - Onwards

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/cbf500.jpg

The CB500 has now been replaced by the CBF500 which is a whole new bike and frame but using the old CB500 Motor with catalytic converter to conform to Euro-2 Standard and the CBF has some cosmetic changes to make it more modern looking and appealing.

Price is £3799 OTR, no used ones seem to be for sale yet, there is also an ABS Option called the CBF500 ABS, its £3999 OTR.

Engine Size 499cc
Claimed Top Speed 118MPH
Claimed Power 56BHP
Insurance Group 9

Tyres
Also a point to make is that all the 500's listed above are great using Bridgestone BT45's, they cost about £130 a pair fitted.
They offer decent wet and dry grip and if you ask anyone which is the better tyre for a 500 they will recommend the BT45.

This concludes my review on 500 Twin's, if you have any questions PM me or reply to this thread or you can email me at 500ccbiker@gmail.com and I will gladly help if i can.

Last edited by iCraig on 01:51 - 23 Dec 2004; edited 23 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:21 - 15 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be you who asks it all the time though. Razz

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:45 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 16 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Copycat! Razz
Shifty Whistle

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: bikes Reply with quote

edit , should have read that last bit,

Note All these bikes are often used as training bikes so buying 2nd hand look out for this.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 30 Aug 2004    Post subject: Re: bikes Reply with quote

Smoto Bob wrote:
edit , should have read that last bit,

Note All these bikes are often used as training bikes so buying 2nd hand look out for this.

I edited it to include that ABS bit after you posted Wink.

Also buying an Ex-training school bike is not a bad thing, as there more often than not well maintained and looked after and never thrashed due to how there being used.

Do look out for damage though.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 00:46 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Craig, I am so determined to get the GS500F, it just looks so good and will be a good first bike I reckon. Thumbs Up
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:04 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: Which 500? Reply with quote

Hi

CraigZZR wrote:
The GS500 has been in production since 1989, and has hardly changed in that time,

And the engine for a long time before that. Think it started as the GS425 engine.

CraigZZR wrote:
The GPZ has been with us since 1987, it uses the same engine as the ER-5 which is basically half a ZX-10 engine (the original ZX10 that is).

The engine started as the EN450 that was accused of being half a GPZ900, except if you look they are very different designs. The big engine had the cam chain at the end of the crank (instead of in the middle between the cylinders), had gear primary drive and the crank turned the other way for a start.

CraigZZR wrote:
and the adding of a 2nd front brake disc in 1998 on the D4.

The 2nd disk was fitted a lot earlier than that, depending on the market the bike was sold in. They were shown back in at least 1990 with twin disks.

CraigZZR wrote:
Again the same EX500 engine as used in the GPZ and ER-5, but in cruiser guise, better for those of a shorter stature. Has the same problems as the ER/GPZ, and it corrodes badly.

There are differences. Think the ER5 engine and the EN500 engines are probably the same detuned GPZ500 engine that was stuck in the KLE500.

All the best

Keith

Susuki_Jah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:46 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

good post i just sent it to my friend looking for a 500cc bike.

I am very very happy with my 91 susuki gs500E. its been everything I ever could have asked out of it.

JOSH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: Which 500? Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

And the engine for a long time before that. Think it started as the GS425 engine.

I think it started life in the GS400 of the 70's, so probably one of the most proven motors in a motorcycle today Smile.

Kickstart wrote:
The 2nd disk was fitted a lot earlier than that, depending on the market the bike was sold in. They were shown back in at least 1990 with twin disks.

I was refering to the UK Market on that one, and thats the year and model number google sprung up to me.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:44 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other things worth noting are that earlier (pre D-model) GPZs can develop a fault where the magnets drop off the alternator and destroy the rotor. This is so expensive to fix as to mean you need a new engine. Fitting cheap tyres (or anything other than bridgestone BT45) to a GPZ500s is a recipe for disaster. They are a bloody good first big bike though. I should know, I have had two of them.

The CB500 is pretty corrosion resistant EXCEPT for the exhaust, a standard CB500 exhaust can have rotted to a pile of rust in one winter. This is a problem with most of the 500s, I would see an aftermarket replacement exhaust (such as Motad) as a plus point if buying second hand.

Andy99
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:22 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone i know has had a GS500 for about 10years it's a rusty mess but gets used daily for work of only a few miles and seems reliable.Someone else i know had a CB500 for about 6 years it was his only transport and lived outside all year and was very reliable.When he traded it in it was still in really good condition, except for accident damage that is Wink

Just call me General Crazypaws.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1991 GS500, which I have just traded in was in suprisingly good cosmetic condition and the motor had done 32,000 miles and sounded and went like it had only done 5,000 Miles.

The only things wrong with it, were it needed new brakes discs front and rear along with new pads and a new rear caliper (or the existing one being stripped down and rebuilt) and new fork stantions and fork seals/oil.

But if you look after them they are completely fine, the last owner of my GPZ500S molly coddled it and nurtered it. And its virtually mint!

https://homepage.mac.com/craiggiles2/GPZ500S.JPG

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkywheely wrote:
Fitting cheap tyres (or anything other than bridgestone BT45) to a GPZ500s is a recipe for disaster.

I have to second that, the OE Dunlops I had on my bike were crap, no dry grip, no wet grip.
Now I have BT45's on the front and rear and they stick to the road like glue enabling me to get some decent lean angles Very Happy.

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig what other bikes have you ever ridden enough to be able to compare to 500's you reckon are all so good?

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
Craig what other bikes have you ever ridden enough to be able to compare to 500's you reckon are all so good?

Whats that gotta do with anything, I wrote this FAQ on my experiences the fact I haven't owned anything above 500cc isn't relevent in this thread.

Also 500's are good for what they are, there cheap, economical and can be ridden hard and are easy to ride, granted many 400's may eat them for dust by I like them so Razz.

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just how you always sing their praises so much and yet have not rode anything else enough to compare to. You always say that a 500 does everything you want it too and is so good but how do you know that something different couldn't do everything you want and more. Just seems silly that you do it, and how you go on about these BT45's. Never had any better tyres then?

Surely it would say something by how everyone who have other bikes tell you how the 500's really aren't that special and you could have something a lot better. (for similar prices too, before you say that again)

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I have ridden other bikes, I have ridden (in order) a Kawasaki ZZR600, and an Suzuki SV650, a Hyosung Comet GT650, and a Yamaha XJ600N.

Although they were all great bikes and had alot more power than the 500's I'm used to none of them excelled at anything.
On all of them the insurance was £300+ higher, no doubt would use more petrol, tyres on most of them were more expensive and would need to be replaced sooner.

Also I'd like to point out that my GPZ500's does everything I want it to and more, the old saying come in mind at this point "if it ain't broke don't fix it" Razz.

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them bikes you have rode aren't exactly the most exciting bikes in the world though are they. We all know that you are happy with your GPZ500s craig but we don't have to hear about it 24/7. There are better bikes around and I'm just saying that you haven't really tried any have you. Razz

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: Which 500? Reply with quote

CraigZZR wrote:
Which 500?

If your not too familiar with the 500's, they comprise of the Suzuki GS500, the Kawasaki ER-5 and GPZ500S and the Honda CB(F)500.

Wotcha.

And here's me never realizing that there were only four 500s Mr. Green

Looks like my poor old Bullet, and the Nuovo Falcone don't exist then. There again, some folks prefer more than 24 b.h.p. out of a 500cc machine . . . . . seriously, that was a decent write up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Re: Which 500? Reply with quote

Lone-Wolf wrote:
Wotcha.

And here's me never realizing that there were only four 500s Mr. Green

Looks like my poor old Bullet, and the Nuovo Falcone don't exist then. There again, some folks prefer more than 24 b.h.p. out of a 500cc machine . . . . . seriously, that was a decent write up.

I could go an add every 500cc bike ever made, but I kinda just left it to recent 500 Twins.

Although I do know about the Moto Guzzi 500's and the old 500 fours but not many own these now and there getting quite rare. Smile

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 18:50 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:

Surely it would say something by how everyone who have other bikes tell you how the 500's really aren't that special and you could have something a lot better. (for similar prices too, before you say that again)

I think that's kind of the point of the 500 commuters. They're not special. They're just good for doing what they do - commuting.

And I don't think for similar prices to the 500s you are going to get a similar age/condition bike that is "better".

I don't really follow the whole "have a go at Craig for talking about different bikes all the time" thing, but it seems like a decent review to me so... go easy eh? Smile

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I don't understand why people try and call me for suggesting the 500's.

When someone say "I have passed my test what bike should I go for", I'll be the first one to suggest a 500, other people suggest 400's. But Its what you prefer.

Oh and I don't go on about the GPZ 24/7 though I can if you want me to Razz.

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bad week this week, feeling stressed. I do think that craig does go on a lot about the 500's though. Fair enough this is a review of them but there are other bikes he could at least talk about. Sorry to seem like a moaning old bar-stuard but like I say he does go on a bit.

I'm just stressed, ignore me. Sad
[sob voice] I need a hug[/sob voice] Crying or Very sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:57 - 18 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
Sorry bad week this week, feeling stressed. I do think that craig does go on a lot about the 500's though. Fair enough this is a review of them but there are other bikes he could at least talk about. Sorry to seem like a moaning old bar-stuard but like I say he does go on a bit.

I'm just stressed, ignore me. Sad
[sob voice] I need a hug[/sob voice] Crying or Very sad

Well then, find an outlet for that stress. Get typing and tell us why these other bikes are better...or else I'll do one on eastern-block 2-strokes. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2