Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scooter dies after approx 1 min (NOT SOLVED)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AmirasDaddy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:59 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Scooter dies after approx 1 min (NOT SOLVED) Reply with quote

Hi guys new here after visiting the forum for a while, here is my problem: https://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=2stroke&action=display&thread=38467&page=1 ( yes I know its a scoot, but i have my full licence (due to back problems because of a careless a-hole in a car) and my 2nd baby is on its way this was more about saving money.

Anyway thought I'd post it here to see what other people think it could be.

Last edited by AmirasDaddy on 13:41 - 08 May 2011; edited 2 times in total

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have something to do with all the black oily stuff all over your engine there Wink

AmirasDaddy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:14 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

spannermonkey91 wrote:
Might have something to do with all the black oily stuff all over your engine there Wink

durr.... I'm asking how do I fix the problem

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was joking I was joking Wink
Is your plug firing okay?

AmirasDaddy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:30 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that so was I lol, yes as i have stated in the link, it starts ok ive had to change it/file/sand it down a few time, any idea as to why there is oil over the block?
        View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SpannerMonkey
        World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible blown head gasket. Just think of all the ways that oil can get access that particular spot. It's hard to say without being there...
        Also my head isnt particularly with it =(

SpannerMonkey
        World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, maybe a crack in the cylinder head?
        EDIT: is that pic of the engine from above? I'm stuggling to gather the orientation of it for some reason haha! cause it looks like your filter is pretty knackered and gunked up. Check for split hoses....

AmirasDaddy
        Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:40 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt seem to be any cracks, I will purchase some gaskets tonight off fleabay and replace them. anything I should look for while removing?

I can't see it being the spark plug being too loose, It was slightly tighter than hand tight.

AmirasDaddy
        Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:41 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes from above, filter looked clear to me can see oil in it :S sorry im sort of new to the bike repair world I can clean carbs etc so bear with me please, I really do appreciate your help.

Brian

SpannerMonkey
        World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just basically keep an eye out for cracks and any obvious signs of leaks.
        Can I just ask the obvious... That IS fuel running through that filter... isnt it? and also, the fuel line either side of the filter is coated in something shiny... this to me says there's some sort of leak around there...

Pete.
        Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fuel starvation. Either a blocked fuel line/tap or blocked fuel tank breather. Take the fuel line off the carb and check that fuel flows freely for a good 30 seconds.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
        View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AmirasDaddy
        Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:47 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

spannermonkey91 wrote:
        Just basically keep an eye out for cracks and any obvious signs of leaks.
        Can I just ask the obvious... That IS fuel running through that filter... isnt it? and also, the fuel line either side of the filter is coated in something shiny... this to me says there's some sort of leak around there...

It's the oil filter, no petrol mate, yeah the previous owner had crashed the bike re sprayed bits of it silver, i've done the body work and front wheel as you can see still have bits to do but stupid things keep cropping up.

SpannerMonkey
        World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil filter? I've never heard of an oil filter on a 2 stroke... This may not be helping your issue.... =/

AmirasDaddy
        Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:53 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
        Sounds like fuel starvation. Either a blocked fuel line/tap or blocked fuel tank breather. Take the fuel line off the carb and check that fuel flows freely for a good 30 seconds.

I've took the hoses off the fuel tap and nothing... i.e no petrol coming out and there's a lot in there... Is it possible for it to be a suction system, i.e when the engine is on suction causes the petrol to come through.

tho the previous owner has re sprayed the tap for some reason,.

AmirasDaddy
        Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:54 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

spannermonkey91 wrote:
        Oil filter? I've never heard of an oil filter on a 2 stroke... This may not be helping your issue.... =/

its coming from the oil tank to the engine, just below the throttle cable.

MattWadz
        Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:54 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, firstly i would test your fueling, im not sure if that peugeot is a gravity fed or vacuum, if its a vacuum then keep the vacuum line on the carb and pull the fuel line off and then turn the engine over and see if it pumps fuel out. if it doesnt then theres your problem, if it does, then it might not be getting past the carb, so clean the carb, if it is clean and its still the same, then its not your carb or fueling, i had a problem like this on my Aerox a while back, it would start, then when i rev it would die/splutter rich and then just cut out and backfire, i changed the plug, and the air filter foam it ran fine. also check if theres a min max on your 2t tank, im not sure but it may be overflowing into the filter idk.

1. Check Fueling
        2. Clean Carb
        3. New Plug

Then give it a go and it should start, theres not many reasons it shouldnt run after doing that.

Get back to me with the results

Matt

Hope i helped

Thumbs Up
        Pitbike x2, Mini Moto x4, China Quad, 02' Suzuki AP50 > 03' MBK Nitro > 86' Suzuki GP100 > 02' Yamaha Jog R > 57' Honda Lead 100 > 95' Piaggio ZIP Rst 50 > 51' Suzuki TS50x > 83' Honda CB125TDE Twin > 51' Yamaha Aerox > 98' Kawasaki KX60 > 89' Yamaha DT50MX > 80's Honda QR50 > 05' CG clone > 125cc China Pitbike > 91' Honda MTX125 RW-L > 09' Peugeot Speedfight 2 LC LR > Lucky MX 140cc > Apache Tomahawk 50 Quad (current = 2010 Yamaha WR125R

Pete.
        Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmirasDaddy wrote:
        Pete. wrote:

I've took the hoses off the fuel tap and nothing... i.e no petrol coming out and there's a lot in there... Is it possible for it to be a suction system, i.e when the engine is on suction causes the petrol to come through.

tho the previous owner has re sprayed the tap for some reason,.

Yes it's possible. Follow the fuel line back to the fuel tap. If there is another smaller pipe on the tap, pull that off the other end and suck on it - fuel should now flow. If no fuel flows then you have found your fault.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
        View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AmirasDaddy
        Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:01 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattWadz wrote:
        Right, firstly i would test your fueling, im not sure if that peugeot is a gravity fed or vacuum, if its a vacuum then keep the vacuum line on the carb and pull the fuel line off and then turn the engine over and see if it pumps fuel out. if it doesnt then theres your problem, if it does, then it might not be getting past the carb, so clean the carb, if it is clean and its still the same, then its not your carb or fueling, i had a problem like this on my Aerox a while back, it would start, then when i rev it would die/splutter rich and then just cut out and backfire, i changed the plug, and the air filter foam it ran fine. also check if theres a min max on your 2t tank, im not sure but it may be overflowing into the filter idk.

1. Check Fueling
        2. Clean Carb
        3. New Plug

Then give it a go and it should start, theres not many reasons it shouldnt run after doing that.

Get back to me with the results

Matt

Hope i helped

Thumbs Up

Yip its suction based, carb is clean as it was checked firstly, could do with a new plug I guess but it starts fine the problem is it dies, and can hear it back firing sometimes when starting it after it dies, Also what about the oil over the top of the head? (started the engine and petrol came out)

Pete.
        Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
        ...it starts fine the problem is it dies, and can hear it back firing sometimes when starting it after it dies,.....

Sounds more and more like fuel starvation. Low fuel level is causing a lean condition hence the backfires.

The fact that it will tick over fine but stops under load says that a small amount of fuel is getting through. Post a photo of your fuel tap. Many have gauze filters inside them that can get blocked.

AmirasDaddy
        Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:33 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
        Quote:
        ...it starts fine the problem is it dies, and can hear it back firing sometimes when starting it after it dies,.....

Sounds more and more like fuel starvation. Low fuel level is causing a lean condition hence the backfires.

The fact that it will tick over fine but stops under load says that a small amount of fuel is getting through. Post a photo of your fuel tap. Many have gauze filters inside them that can get blocked.

there is a gauze filter inside it and it was clean when i checked earlier.

forgot to add it can sit and idle for ages, just after a min or two it completely dies, and have to turn they ignition key off and on, sometimes the ignition button does nothing i.e no noise from the starter motor or anything.

Last edited by AmirasDaddy on 20:45 - 05 May 2011; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
        Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remove it and check the other side?

It sounds like you've followed a good troubleshooting process TBH. You still need to confirm that you get fuel flowing freely from the tap to the carb.

AmirasDaddy
        Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:47 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
        Did you remove it and check the other side?

It sounds like you've followed a good troubleshooting process TBH. You still need to confirm that you get fuel flowing freely from the tap to the carb.

I meant a min or two of riding

The gauze side, yes I did, I blew through the petrol end to empty the little petrol that was in it.

really appreciate the help guys Smile

MattWadz
        Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:01 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check / Replace your fuel filter? could be blocked.
        Pitbike x2, Mini Moto x4, China Quad, 02' Suzuki AP50 > 03' MBK Nitro > 86' Suzuki GP100 > 02' Yamaha Jog R > 57' Honda Lead 100 > 95' Piaggio ZIP Rst 50 > 51' Suzuki TS50x > 83' Honda CB125TDE Twin > 51' Yamaha Aerox > 98' Kawasaki KX60 > 89' Yamaha DT50MX > 80's Honda QR50 > 05' CG clone > 125cc China Pitbike > 91' Honda MTX125 RW-L > 09' Peugeot Speedfight 2 LC LR > Lucky MX 140cc > Apache Tomahawk 50 Quad (current = 2010 Yamaha WR125R

Teflon-Mike
        tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:15 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thing a two stroke?
        If so, could the oil feed pipe from auto lube pump to carburettor have come off / split?
        Would explain oil all over engine.
        would also explain dying under load.
        If the pipe has come off, under load, possibly dragging air through oil port, weakening mixture, but lack of lube, likely to be nipping up.

MattWadz
        Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:29 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, good point, could be that, if not then id get a new plug, you said you could do with one, so its worth the fiver before doing anything else

Matt

Thumbs Up
        Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
        This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
        Goto page 1, 2  Next
        Page 1 of 2