Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which bike right for me?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cuchulain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:43 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Which bike right for me? Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing a cbt and getting a 125cc to commute to work. Getting near to 100mpg is just too tempting with petrol prices being where they are.

My commute is around a 30miles round trip, almost entirely consisting of winding, potholed, country lanes. Therefore I think I want a bike with at least some off road potential, to make me feel secure enough on haggard roads. Unfortunately I really don't like the the look of your typical trail/enduro bikes so it needs to look more like a full sized bike. I wouldn't like to spend any more than £1500 but could stretch a bit further.

I found a few of bikes that fit the bill but they all seem to be quite sparse, and I'm having trouble finding any near me (Herts).

The bikes I have in mind are:

Hyosung RT125 (My favourite of the the lot but there doesn't seem to be any used ones about, and I think i'd lose a fair bit on depreciation buying new.)

Yamaha TW (Like the looks, like the fact that it's a decent make but the reviews aren't great)

Suzuki RV Vanvan (Looks a bit small, and not keen on it aesthetically, but seems to be along the right lines)

Sinnis Trackstar (Good review from MCN, looks really nice, dirt cheap to but new and with 2 year warranty, but not sure if it'll be any use on dodgy roads)

I really love the look of the Derbi Terra/Adventure but at £3500 it's way too expensive for me.

So has any body got any other suggestions of similar (or maybe not?) bikes I could look into? Any help would be much appreciated.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:13 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What is it you don't like about enduro/trail bikes?

You say you want something more full sized but I think most of the bikes you have listed are all smaller/lower than most enduro style bikes.

I've got a Honda XR 125 which has got a relatively low seat height for an enduro style bike but fits me fine and I'm about 6ft.

Cheers

Jon

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:22 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a DR350, or a Honda CB200 Benley, or a Honda SLR650? Offer as good ecconomy, and are more substancial, cheaper bikes?

I am leading you to admit you to say, 'becouse I dont have a licence... yet...

Beouse that's the answer.

CBT is not a driving test, its do you know bikes onl;y have two wheels and can fall over if you dont prop them up or balence them? Do you know where the gears are? Do you know you have to have a helmet? And can you ride accross a playground without seriousely hurting yourself....

You are 30 times more likely to have an accident on a motorbike than in a car, and L-Plate newbies are probably 30 times more likely than that to have an accident, YET only bludy form of transport any ones allowed out on the roads on, on thier own, unsupervised, without passing a test! Daft, isn't it?

125's aren't 'toy bikes', or any safer than 'propper' big bikes. Risks on a 30mph road or a 60mph road or 70mph road are exactly teh same whatever size bike you are riding, and 'little' bike, can just as easily do the same legal speeds.... so no added safety there.... and in many ways, lightweight and smaller diomensions making them more 'nimble' also makes them less stable, so in many circumstances you are facing more hazards on one than a big bike.

If you dont have the confidence you could handle a bigger bike, think TWICE whether you want to ride at all......

Are you thinking? Right, so making it safer for you, get trained get a licence, get out of that danger zone of being on L-Plates.

Bugger what the bike looks like, or whether it has off road suspension... you DO NOT need it for pot holed country roads, its not like a Range Rover.... and knobbly tyres that come with pogo suspension are as much of an impediment and certainly a confidence killer, for any benefit soft suspension offers.

You want a decent, simple, easy to live with, easy to ride LEARNER bike...... and some training.... get that, get a licence, and door is open to whole host of bikes that are likely to far better do what you want, and fit your sense of sensibilities.....

And having gone through the motions, you'll have a far better idea of the actual merits of such stuff, to better decide.

Meanwhile, bikes to check out are the Yamaha YBR125, possibly a Honda Veradaro.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cuchulain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:36 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon

Perhaps I shouldn't have said full sized. What I meant is that I prefer chunkier looking machines. A lowish seat height would probably be better for me seeing as I'm only 5'8ish.

Not sure what it is I specifically don't like about those kind of bikes, but they just don't appeal to me really. I do really like the bigger adventure type bikes though...

Cuchulain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:46 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
What about a DR350, or a Honda CB200 Benley, or a Honda SLR650? Offer as good ecconomy, and are more substancial, cheaper bikes?

CBT is not a driving test, its do you know bikes onl;y have two wheels and can fall over if you dont prop them up or balence them? Do you know where the gears are? Do you know you have to have a helmet? And can you ride accross a playground without seriousely hurting yourself....

You are 30 times more likely to have an accident on a motorbike than in a car, and L-Plate newbies are probably 30 times more likely than that to have an accident, YET only bludy form of transport any ones allowed out on the roads on, on thier own, unsupervised, without passing a test! Daft, isn't it?

125's aren't 'toy bikes', or any safer than 'propper' big bikes. Risks on a 30mph road or a 60mph road or 70mph road are exactly teh same whatever size bike you are riding, and 'little' bike, can just as easily do the same legal speeds.... so no added safety there.... and in many ways, lightweight and smaller diomensions making them more 'nimble' also makes them less stable, so in many circumstances you are facing more hazards on one than a big bike.

If you dont have the confidence you could handle a bigger bike, think TWICE whether you want to ride at all......

Are you thinking? Right, so making it safer for you, get trained get a licence, get out of that danger zone of being on L-Plates.

Bugger what the bike looks like, or whether it has off road suspension... you DO NOT need it for pot holed country roads, its not like a Range Rover.... and knobbly tyres that come with pogo suspension are as much of an impediment and certainly a confidence killer, for any benefit soft suspension offers.

You want a decent, simple, easy to live with, easy to ride LEARNER bike...... and some training.... get that, get a licence, and door is open to whole host of bikes that are likely to far better do what you want, and fit your sense of sensibilities.....

And having gone through the motions, you'll have a far better idea of the actual merits of such stuff, to better decide.

I did say in the first post that I'm pre-cbt and looking for a 125cc.

Saying that I did do a cbt many years ago and had a Yamaha TDR until that ran out (didn't bother to take full test as I'd got my full car license by then.) So I do already feel comfortable on learner bikes.

And all the bikes listed are learner legal btw.

So you think a typical road bike will be better suited than one with off roading pretentions then?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:15 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rider skill is what keeps the rubber down, not bike style. If you're going to stick with a 125, then the YBR125 is our current top choice.

That said, Varadero 125 riders love their bikes, but then again, they won't sell them cheaply.

And what Mike said: invest £121.50 in passing your test and you'll get access to a much larger range of bikes.

f1fan111
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:00 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF has a 99 TW125 shes 5ft 7" so you will fit on a TW fine just remember TW has fat tyres whch i think costs close to £160 for a pair!! think VanVan maybe very simlair in tyre cost
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cuchulain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:24 - 14 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

f1fan111 wrote:
GF has a 99 TW125 shes 5ft 7" so you will fit on a TW fine just remember TW has fat tyres whch i think costs close to £160 for a pair!! think VanVan maybe very simlair in tyre cost

Wow, that does seem a bit steep. What's your opinion of the bike in general? Any good?

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:22 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree with whats been said about getting a cheap 125 and doing your test. Not only are bigger bikes cheaper to insure, but they will also be better on those potholed roads that you talk about as they are heavier and more stable. My 250 gives me 80 Mpg all day.

However it's your choice so here's a couple of RX's for sale.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-HYOSUNG-RX-125-not-kx-ktm-cr-rm-yamaha-/150603721505?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2310ae6b21
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-HYOSUNG-RX-125-YELLOW-/260782318916?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3cb7d66544

Hyosung also make their own version of the TW / VanVan called the Karion.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2007-Hyosung-KARION-RT-125-Blue-5K-1-Owner-VGC-/290555737672?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item43a678b648

Can't vouch for these models but mine has been faultless commuting all year.

Last edited by Livefast123 on 18:28 - 15 May 2011; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:34 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuchulain wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

I did say in the first post that I'm pre-cbt and looking for a 125cc.

Saying that I did do a cbt many years ago and had a Yamaha TDR until that ran out (didn't bother to take full test as I'd got my full car license by then.) So I do already feel comfortable on learner bikes.

And all the bikes listed are learner legal btw.

So you think a typical road bike will be better suited than one with off roading pretentions then?

Your point was you wanted a 125 to do all you want a bike to do.
My point was, thy rarely can. Much better value in bigger bikes, that need full licence. Get that and whole spectum of better bikes, in better condition that are far more likely to do all you want are available to you over and above 125's.... hence worry about a 125 thats most suitable to get you through test and bollox to the rest... you get that in stage 2, licence in your pocket when you go looking what you can chop the 125 in for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:48 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livefast123 wrote:
Not only are bigger bikes cheaper to insure

True

Livefast123 wrote:
tax

https://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5263/yunoshutupe.jpg

Livefast123
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:29 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess everyone has a f*ucked up style Warped moment Evil or Very Mad

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want super cheap commuting then do what I did, get a Yamaha Vity scooter, 1700 quid otr including insurance, handles great and genuinely gives me 98mpg in the London rush hour commute. I guess you'll get way better mpg. As for pot holes, just ride around them!

Cuchulain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:21 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I hear what everyone is saying. But I still see a couple of problems with that.

With bigger bikes there is a big drop in mpg. And seeing as I can get 40mpg in my car anyway, it makes it a little less tempting to commute on two wheels.

Even if my objective is going to be to take my test as soon as possible, i'll probably be stuck with whatever 125 I buy for a couple of years, seeing as I'll be restricted to 33bhp anyway (and there doesn't seem to be much around in that bracket, apart from derestricted 125's).

How much do you think I should be spending on a bike? I can't seem to find much for less than £1500. And for that money you either get a brand new chinese machine or a high mileage japanese one.

bigboy85
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:30 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuchulain wrote:

How much do you think I should be spending on a bike? I can't seem to find much for less than £1500. And for that money you either get a brand new chinese machine or a high mileage japanese one.

and everything thats inbetween

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:35 - 25 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuchulain wrote:
Okay I hear what everyone is saying. But I still see a couple of problems with that.

You THINK there is a couple of problems... but carry on lets here your ideas.....

Cuchulain wrote:
With bigger bikes there is a big drop in mpg. And seeing as I can get 40mpg in my car anyway, it makes it a little less tempting to commute on two wheels.

Absolutely, and factor in maintenece, winter weather, and the atraction of a heater and Terry wogans morning show..... it can seriousely 'dent' the presumed 100mpg ecconomy, pro-rata savings you might assume, and seriousely tip the balence.

BUT! to get down to 40mpg, you are talking about leaping all the way up to full power in line fours, in the 600 bracket. And they CAN be more expensive to run than your car.

BUT, used sensibly I can push 70mpg from my 750. Others with more sophisticated water cooled IL4's, using them gently, can better than a bit. 500 Twin, which will be far more comfortable for you commute, should be able to return a good 60mpg without having to apply too much restraint, and applying a bit, nudge the 80 mark. WHICH is possibly BETTER that you'd get from a 125 ragging the arse out of it trying to keep up with traffic on NSL roads. 125's will ONLY do the sort of 100+mpg suggested if they are kept under about 50mph, which many learners achieve doing most of thier miles practicing test routes round housing estates, or tootling to and from college accross town...

Cuchulain wrote:
Even if my objective is going to be to take my test as soon as possible, i'll probably be stuck with whatever 125 I buy for a couple of years, seeing as I'll be restricted to 33bhp anyway (and there doesn't seem to be much around in that bracket, apart from derestricted 125's).

SO wrong. There are LOADs of bikes that fall into the 33bhp restriction bracket, and even MORE if you restrict a bike specifically for the 33bhp limit, as many do.

Naturally 33bhp complient, Brand New, is the Kawasaki 250 Ninja, or Honda's CBR250, which both chuck out about 26 bhp, the same as a de-restricted 'sports' 125, but with ecconomical four stroke engines that dont need expensive synthetic two stroke oil to stop them siezing. Claims for both suggest around 90mpg, and low running costs, and are marketed EXPRESELY for the job you suggest. A 'larger' slightly ore substantial, 33bhp licence complient 'commuter'.

More commonly, in the second hand arena, are the 500 commuter twins, which are all over the 33bhp limit as standard, but with only two cylinders and not THAT much over the limit, easily restrict. Bikes like the Kawasaki GPz500S, ER5, Suzuki GS500, or SV650, Honda NTV650, CB500, Transalp, Africa Twin, SL650 (Single).

ALL return good mpg, in the 70's, with reasonably low running costs, and are easy to restrict to 33bhp.

Looking further afield, and lower down the capacity range, you tend to have to look older, or at dirt bikes. But, the old Honda CB250N 'Super Dream', at 27bhp was designed for this kind of work. The CB250RS single, is a lot lighter and just as powerful, and more ecconomical. Kawasaki's GPz250 or GPz305, likewise, or Suzukis GSX250. Also CB400 Super Dream, and GSX400.

For super cheap ecconomy commuting the 16bhp Honda CB200 'Benley' is a very comfortable little bike, that is just a tad more powerful than a Learner Legal 125, brilliant ecconomy from single carbed twin cylinder engine, and usually cheaper to insure than even 'cheap' 125's.

On the Insuranec front, the GS500 is the lowest insurance grouped 500, and is group 7, the same as a 'sports' 125.... the 250's, the 305, and such are ALL lower insurance groups than the sportier 125's, and the more sensible bigger bikes are barely one or two groups higher.

TOTAL cost of ownership; long term, going for a larger bike, is likely to be little different in cost, but a heck of a lot less frustrating for the job at hand.

Cuchulain wrote:

£1500 should get you what is currently my 'ideal' 125 Learner Commuter, by way of a three and a bit, first MOT passed Yamaha YBR125. They represent just about the optimum compromise by way of as new and unworn or abused for least money spent, and most money returned when sold, with the least risk of things going wrong and it being easy to ride, and 'fit for purpose' by way of performance and everything else. Typically three four year old YBR's are going for between £900 & £1500, with only really optimistic trade sales going much over that.

THAT is what I think you ought to be looking for, and what you ought to budget spending.

TESTS done, you can sell a YBR for nie on what you pay for it, and go looking for a bigger bike with the money, and £1500 will get you a LOT more by way of bigger bike, and plenty by way of the 500 commuter twins. In fact almost every bike I have listed as a candidate, you could get an example of, in that budget.

BUT, try getting 'more' by way of a 125 that stretched to the max, tries to do everything you want.... and well, the 'premium' on 125's means you will be paying infinitely more for very little extra.

Hence suggestion, back up, get BASIC 125 that WONT do everything you want it to do, but WILL excel at helping you get your licence, then when you have done THAT flog it, and use money to get a bike that WILL do all you want it to, an AWFUL lot more easily, a lot more comfortably, and with a LOT better chance of finding a 'decent' bike within your budget...

It's merely looking that bit BEYOND this mental block of ideas and preconceptions, and having some 'faith' that we aren't stringing you a line or fobbing you off or spouting bullshit... for whatever reason..... we DO know what we are talking about for the most part, and ultimately, a 125 is NOT the best bike for the job you suiggest, ANY of them, and a 'bigger' bike, picked sensibly COULD BE.. and certainly stands a MUCH better chance of being a 'better' all round compromise.

You have to crunch the numbers though......

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 28 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuchulain wrote:
A lowish seat height would probably be better for me seeing as I'm only 5'8ish.

I've said it a thousand times before, but it isn't about height. It's all about the inside leg. I am 5ft 8", but have a loooong inside leg - so I can ride ANY bike.

Have a look at the XT125/DT125. Trail-like, narrow, light, upright - could be perfect for little lanes.

Cuchulain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:04 - 08 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Well perhaps I could just borrow a 125 to do my test on and skip buying one altogether. My brother actually has a YBR, though he's looking to do a DAS soon, so I'm not sure for how much longer.

So potentially looking ahead at bigger bikes. (I have taken note of the ones you already suggested TeflonMike, much appreciated)

I reckon something like a Royal Enfield might suit me. Rugged, economical, simple to work on, light, low seat height (swung my leg over a transalp the other day, and i'm definitely too short to realistically consider adventure bikes unfortunately), 30bhp as standard and designed to be used on battered Indian roads. They're bringing out a new Bullet as well apparently which is only £4000 otr.

What d'ya reckon? Is there anything else that might fit the bill?

Cuchulain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:02 - 09 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s What's the highest limit of bhp that would be easily restrict to 33hp?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:15 - 09 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuchulain wrote:

The spec power is pretty immeterial. what makes them easier or harder to restrict is the topogrophy and design.

An SV650 is pretty easy to restrict, fro 70bhpish, its a plug ion black box on the ECU, as far as I know... takes about two minutes.

GPZ500, twin carbs, bit harder, takes two washers in the inlet rubbers, you have to get at the carbs to remove and fit the kit, to get it down from about 60 ponies.

VFR 400, four carbs that are a pain to get at and set up, takes a lot more work to get them down from 50ish bhp.....

Old CB550 'four' with points ignition and slide carbs, a pain to try and restrict, you'd have to put throttle limiters on top of each carb slide, to try and limit air flow, and much about with the ignition to try and retard it a bit.... to get that down from its 45ish bhp.

There's no real rules or fixed formula.

Guide is, that the fewer cylnders the bike has, and the more generic its design, and the closer it is to limit to begin with, the easier it will be to restrict and feel the least strangled.....

Cuchulain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:42 - 10 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

The spec power is pretty immeterial. what makes them easier or harder to restrict is the topogrophy and design.

An SV650 is pretty easy to restrict, fro 70bhpish, its a plug ion black box on the ECU, as far as I know... takes about two minutes.

GPZ500, twin carbs, bit harder, takes two washers in the inlet rubbers, you have to get at the carbs to remove and fit the kit, to get it down from about 60 ponies.

VFR 400, four carbs that are a pain to get at and set up, takes a lot more work to get them down from 50ish bhp.....

Old CB550 'four' with points ignition and slide carbs, a pain to try and restrict, you'd have to put throttle limiters on top of each carb slide, to try and limit air flow, and much about with the ignition to try and retard it a bit.... to get that down from its 45ish bhp.

There's no real rules or fixed formula.

Guide is, that the fewer cylnders the bike has, and the more generic its design, and the closer it is to limit to begin with, the easier it will be to restrict and feel the least strangled.....

Ah, okay. Nice one, thanks for clearing that up.

What do reckon as far as a Royal Enfield for a first bike then?

Cuchulain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:10 - 13 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one got a view on Enfields? I really quite fancy the trials version.

Also looking into Jawa's. Anyone got any experience with them?

Still looking for similar suggestions too, if anyones got any? Key things i'm looking for are: Ruggedness, good mpg, easy to service/work on, reliability, good for country lanes.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 13 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can get a Derbi Terra for that money. I just part-exchanged a two year old one for just under that so they should be available. Anyway, what can I say? A capable liquid cooled motor right up at the legal power limit, good ground clearance, no vibrations at all and comfortable seating. I loved mine and apart from a crack in the HT cap it never let me down.

https://www.derbi.com/int/images/stories/motos/dual/terra_125/000_15.png

Oh, and in case Derbi isn't a familiar name to you, they won the MotoGP 125s last year and are doing well this.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:43 - 14 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuchulain wrote:
No-one got a view on Enfields? I really quite fancy the trials version.

Also looking into Jawa's. Anyone got any experience with them?

Still looking for similar suggestions too, if anyones got any? Key things i'm looking for are: Ruggedness, good mpg, easy to service/work on, reliability, good for country lanes.

Jawas... great if you are doing speedway or grass track racing, with thier evolution of the old J.A.Prestwick engine...... otherwise, they are (to my knowledge) ancient, piston ported, Adler copy twins, built in former soviet union, by disgruntled Czek's in a Communist Gulag.... bit like MZ's without the performance or reliability.

Enfield..... loverly bikes... for real, 'enthusiasts', that like the ancient... sorry 'Classic' styling, home maintenence, and the vibration of a badly loaded washing machine under thier bum!

They are a bit quixotic, sort of an anti-bimota... but as specialised in thier appeal and practicality.

Trials variant?!? for an Every Day ROAD bike.... to COMMUTE on?

Are you married? Do you already have kids?

If SO... possibly not a bad one to go for.... I mean post marriage, your sex life dies anyway, and after a couple of kids, you remember it fondly...... so, in those circumstances, trying to commute, 30 miles a day on an Enfield Trials rep..... well, you wont 'miss' the loss of sensation in your happy sack! Laughing

I do have a soft spot for the Enfield...... but it's unfortunately not in my head.... hence never having one!

Though, active in classic trials for numerouse years, I have been tempted a few times... either full 'Pre-65' Comp Trials 'Chop' or roadster... six week hike round Northern India, fifteen years ago also endeared them to me.... BUT.....

For an 'every day' bike..... sorry, I'd buy a Honda!

Blob
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:32 - 14 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonE wrote:

I've got a Honda XR 125 which has got a relatively low seat height for an enduro style bike

+1

XR is a great bike, off road potential and has does good MPG

Great bike for going through country lanes as you have said.

- Will
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2