Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Job Centre - CRB check

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Fairies attack This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 15 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not. Why isn't your employer paying for it? They're only valid for one place of employment, so SOP is for the employer to pay

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 15 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. They will send you off to the police station and tell you to get it yourself.

multijoy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 15 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most employers will reimburse it.

However, the first question to ask is whether your employer is actually entitled to ask for one and whether you're at the correct stage in the process to do it - CRB guidance (which is statutory) does not recommend the use of a CRB disclosure as part of the shortlisting procedure.

Really, you should have been appointed to a post, conditional on the employer receiving a CRB disclosure that matches what you've already told them.

Finally, the employer is the one applying for the disclosure - they need to take it off you, get it countersigned and apply via their umbrella body, if they're not a registered body.

If they've told you to "go away and come back with a CRB check", they're wrong and almost certainly not entitled to see one.

Don't go to the police station, they'll just tap the notice on the window that says you need to read the instructions on the form! Don't let the job centre send you to the police station either, because they'll make you look like a tit.

If the job centre are allowing adverts for "CRB checked staff", ask them to ring the CRB in order to find out everything that is wrong with that request.

TL;DR They should really sort the payment out if they're doing things right, and if you're expected to approach the job centre to get it there's almost certainly an issue.
Fairies attack This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 15 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow rider wrote:
It's for working on a US airbase in Kuwait and it say's I need one (Obviously).

The job centre pays for travelling costs so why not CRB's?

I imagine you'll need significantly more than a crb check for that. AS above, get the job, then get the crb, not the otherway round/.

multijoy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 15 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been asked for a CRB (standard or enhanced) disclosure, your UK based employer applies for it. The matter of payment is between you and your employer. The CRB don't care who stumps up the cash.

If you're applying for a basic disclosure via Disclosure Scotland, you'll apply for it and perhaps the job centre will pay, who can tell.

I'm not sure working on an airbase entitles your employer to receive either a standard or enhanced CRB disclosure - if it's working for a UK contractor, I'd have expected you to fill out a security questionnaire for the Defence Vetting Agency, which will cost you nowt, which would also deal with the criminality aspect (although less so than an enhanced disclosure, would you believe!).

If you're working for a US contractor, I wonder if you're being asked to supply a copy of a subject access request to the police. Which isn't yet illegal, but only by dint of the offence not being enacted. Also well dodgy, in my view.

Ben_m
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 16 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not through kbr log cap jobs by any chance?

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 16 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

multijoy wrote:
Most employers will reimburse it.

However, the first question to ask is whether your employer is actually entitled to ask for one and whether you're at the correct stage in the process to do it - CRB guidance (which is statutory) does not recommend the use of a CRB disclosure as part of the shortlisting procedure.

Really, you should have been appointed to a post, conditional on the employer receiving a CRB disclosure that matches what you've already told them.

Finally, the employer is the one applying for the disclosure - they need to take it off you, get it countersigned and apply via their umbrella body, if they're not a registered body.

If they've told you to "go away and come back with a CRB check", they're wrong and almost certainly not entitled to see one.

Don't go to the police station, they'll just tap the notice on the window that says you need to read the instructions on the form! Don't let the job centre send you to the police station either, because they'll make you look like a tit.

If the job centre are allowing adverts for "CRB checked staff", ask them to ring the CRB in order to find out everything that is wrong with that request.

TL;DR They should really sort the payment out if they're doing things right, and if you're expected to approach the job centre to get it there's almost certainly an issue.

This....

You cannot apply for a CRB yourself. You need the application to be countersigned by an appropriate agency (either the one offering you the job or an associate of theirs) Mine have been countersigned by my HR manager on behalf of the NHS, in previous jobs its been by the CEO on behalf of the charity I was working for (who were accredited by the CRB dudes).

In the old days (10 years plus ago) you (or often the company) would apply to your local police force to ask them if you had a record. This doesn't happen anymore.

Oh and declare everything, including speeding fines etc. They wont care, but they may well show up on the return...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 16 Jun 2011    Post subject: Re: Job Centre - CRB check Reply with quote

Snow rider wrote:
Will the job centre pay for a CRB check if I take the forms in to show them?

Good luck with that, i had several job offers but needed the CRB check doing.

The job centre said "we will if you deffo get the job"
me - "they wont give me the job without a CRB check"
JC - "sorry, cant help"
me - "well fuck off then cunts"
walked into a much better, well paid job a couple of weeks later.

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 23:24 - 16 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRB check is likely of no use to a US employer, they'll probably want a police disclosure which you can get from a police station for £10, you just request everything they have on you, pay the price and it'll arrive in 28 days. That you can do yourself, a CRB check as already says is something a company does on you not something you do on yourself. No company will want either until you are at the end of the recruitment process or before they start incurring costs in interviewing you etc. should tell you all this if you've read the application (unlikely).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 16 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've witnessed unemployable scrotes purchasing suits paid for by the job centre (ie me and every other working taxpayer) as they apparantly then become more employable. I've also read anecdotes of mobile phones, manicures, driving lessons etc being paid for by the job centre, so why shouldn't they pay for CRB's as they appear willing to pay for pretty much everything else.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1