Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Children as pillion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ace-card
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Children as pillion Reply with quote

Been toying with this idea......at what age do I feel it is reasonable to let my daughter ride pillion with me?? Just passed three weeks ago, and haven't actually carried anyone pillion yet (I need a bike capable of carrying two people first!.....the CG isn't quite up to it Laughing) so a lot of experience is required before I think about allowing my princess on. She's only 5 at the mo and a bit of a wuss at times so she's not quite ready yet!! However, she is getting more daring, as I found out today at the park!! I'm just doing a bit of forward thinking:

She lives 100 miles away, and the M5 ALWAYS has some kind of congestion, either on my way there, or back, or BOTH! Twisted Evil Drives me mad in the car, especially when it's hot and I'm moving over in my lane to let fellow bikers through!! Right now I'm collecting her and dropping her off twice a month.....800 miles of potential gridlock every month!! Would be awesome to just shoot up and down the motorway without worrying about getting held up too much! Just not sure at what point this would become a sensible option.

Any thoughts?? I've only ever seen a child riding pillion twice, so wondering if it's frowned upon......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the law states they have to be able to put their feet firmly on the pegs whilst being properly sat down.

ace-card
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read this earlier today. That being said, she's quite tall and could definitely touch the pegs now......seems like on this occasion, the bureaucrats haven't given us much to go on!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kestrel
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:07 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Re: Children as pillion Reply with quote

ace-card wrote:
Been toying with this idea......at what age do I feel it is reasonable to let my daughter ride pillion with me?? Just passed three weeks ago, and haven't actually carried anyone pillion yet (I need a bike capable of carrying two people first!.....the CG isn't quite up to it Laughing) so a lot of experience is required before I think about allowing my princess on. She's only 5 at the mo and a bit of a wuss at times so she's not quite ready yet!! However, she is getting more daring, as I found out today at the park!! I'm just doing a bit of forward thinking:

Any thoughts?? I've only ever seen a child riding pillion twice, so wondering if it's frowned upon......

I first took my daughter on the back when she was 5. Started with a few short runs up and down the street and then progressed to round the block and down to the local shops. Within a couple of days she'd done a lap of the TT course. The law says that the passenger must be able to reach the footpegs, and that really is a must, a pair of 'love handles' will give her something solid to hold on to and are fairly cheap to buy. Also get your daughter some good protection. I bought mine an Arai helmet and two piece leathers, boots and gloves. A big outlay and they won't last long before she outgrows them but you can always sell them on. As for people frowning on taking your child as a pillion? FUCK THEM, there is NOTHING that will make you a smoother, better rider than knowing you have your own child sat behind you!

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembering back to when my daughter was 5, I'm not sure she had a healthy enough appreciation of her own mortality to trust her as a pillion.

Perhaps you could bungee her on!

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age at which you can take her on without her mother screaming loud enough to make your eardrums bleed Wink

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust my 5 year old girl yet, but I'm definitely up for giving my 7 year old boy a spin.

Definitely get all the gear. Only fair that your passenger has equal or better gear than you, especially if they are the fruit of your loins.

Get some experience with other pillions. The worse they are the better. Learning how to correct the mess that a fidgety passenger can make of the handling is a very valuable lesson.

100 miles away? Does this mean you’re separated from her mum? If so you need to factor in how much grief you going to get from the ex. My missus is quite supportive of taking the kids out on the back because she knows I’m a cautious chap. After all, she was my pillion for the best part of ten years on our daily commute.

BeBob
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:34 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

In India it's not uncommon to see a whole family on the back of a bike - 6 people and the shopping is the most I've seen. However never seen that in the UK!

As long as you're ticking all the legal boxes and the little nibblets up for it I see no problem!

TheManWithThe...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:50 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she isn't very strong, one thing you could do to help her out is to get a top box fitted so she can lean on and feel a bit more secure, or as a safety feature...just in case she isn't holding on properly...it would definitely be frowned upon to leave your 5 year old sitting on the tarmac whilst her oblivious dad speeds away from the lights Laughing

Or try a pair of these

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/1820

They just allow young'uns * to get a proper grip where grabbing onto tight leathers might be tricky

*Or thoes who are too cool to hug the rider, but haven't got a grab rail to hold onto

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:29 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 miles = ~2 hours = a long time for a young child to hang on.

kernow24
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:13 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question should be would your ex allow you to take her on the back of a bike?

Not to put a dampner on it but kids are known to be restless at the best of times when in a car, one wrong move on a
bike and they will be flying under the tyres of the car behind you Shocked

Take the safer option, even if it means getting stuck in traffic.

The little mite will have more of a chance of walking away should the worse happen.

Now a little jolly around town, or through some back lanes to give her a taste of 2 wheels is fair enough
but 100 miles with 3 lanes doing 70.. no chance

sagalout
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:14 - 26 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started taking mine out at about 7, but that was mostly short rides. I wouldn't be keen on 100 miles including motorways. Small kids fall asleep easily!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Wilson12345 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

itsdave
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:07 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 5 when my dad popped me on the back of his ZZR and said hold on. I soon found myself on long road trips from London to the new forest. I was fine however my sisters struggled to hold on as much. I don't know why but they caught up soon enough.

The cg would be a good thing to try it on. its not too powerful. It would allow you both to gage you comfort zones and confidence.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read a thread on this on MCN ninja's.

Some were totally against it, mainly because people felt that t was unsafe. Others felt that it was safe, if you're ok now then what is tue difference.

From my perspective, go pillion and see what your child has to go through. On a sports I would say no, there's just too much force and a kid will have to hold on tight. Then again it's your throttle.

I ride fast for people who will enjoy it, and once really slow for a religious guy, whom is very soft.

My boss took his 6 year old son a fair few times, back it did have a top box.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 07:56 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the top box

I saw a child riding pillion yesterday, his toes just touched the foot pegs and his arms couldnt reach around the rider, looked very dangerous indeed.
You need to be able to trust the child to hold on, no matter how tired or bored they get, and young children on long journeys get bored quick.

FBSF
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:08 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken my daughter on the back of the CM since she was about 7 - she is 9 now, but it's a small bike (so footpegs are easily reached), has a huge topbox on the back, and I only take her on short trips - her attention span is about 15-20mins, so any longer would be asking for trouble.

mivster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:13 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

my daughter is now 12 and has been going on the back of bikes since she could reach the pegs
all my family are bikers im still on L plates so not been on mine yet

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends if you're doing it for the right reasons.

If the kid is eager and really wants to jump on the back, with proper gear i'd do it.

If she isn't that keen and it's just for your benefit to save you a bit of time, then no.

FBSF
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:51 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ddball wrote:
with proper gear i'd do it. .

Goes completely without saying - stiff boots, decent well fitting lid and gloves, strong jacket and trousers.

If any of those aren't available, don't even consider it.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old man took me and my brother on his bike when we reached 5 years old, started with short rides and built it up to all day trips out. One thing he did was fit a top box which we could lean on when in slow traffic, in order to relieve the crouching position of holding on to him while moving at speed

We had all the gear, dad wore a strap for us to hold on to instead of using the grab handles

Thumbs Up

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I'd like to take a kid pillion until they are a good 12/13 y.o tbh, kids are just too unpredictable.

Last month though I did see a guy riding a trike with a trailer on it. In the trailer was a german shepherd wearing flying goggles - the dog looked like he was loving it.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although my son was sensible enough to go pillion from about 8-10yrs of age it was only when he was 10yr that he was tall enough for him to reach the pegs. My daughter on the other hand was tall enough at 8 yrs but onlt took her on the back at 12yrs.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Although my son was sensible enough to go pillion from about 8-10yrs of age it was only when he was 10yr that he was tall enough for him to reach the pegs. My daughter on the other hand was tall enough at 8 yrs but onlt took her on the back at 12yrs.

How tall are you, I need to know.

ace-card
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of interesting responses here, especially about the top box and the whole thing about my ex kicking up a fuss......we haven't been together for nearly 6 years and the relationship has, at best, been strained over that time. I can't really say either of us trust each other, let alone for her to be comfortable with the idea or the little'un riding pillion with me!! Mad My wife, on the other hand is well keen, but she's completely different.......very open minded and grew up riding pillion.

Also, very sensible comments about the sheer distance and amount of concentration she would need for that 100 mile journey......a lot to expect of a child tbh, especially there AND back. Also thinking that the whole feeling of the bike leaning may be a bit too alien for her at the mo! I am very keen though to get her involved with biking asap, so a few very short trips here and there may be an option with all the kit, starting out with a low speed ride around the car park I used to practice my Mod1 manoeuvers!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2