Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

best spark plug for aprilia rs125 2001

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

leepick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:31 - 27 Jun 2011    Post subject: best spark plug for aprilia rs125 2001 Reply with quote

ive tried a br10eg and that was no good - i have a car spark plug in there at the moment and it works fine :s

what do you all recommend?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:38 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the bike... you cant just put any spark plug in there... Shocked

Restricted RS - BR8ES, Try a BR9 if the 10 didnt work, the 10 is for derestricted bikes..

Maybe you should just get the engine rebuilt by someone who knows what goes where... then you cant blame the spark plug Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

leepick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:53 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Sell the bike... you cant just put any spark plug in there... Shocked

Restricted RS - BR8ES, Try a BR9 if the 10 didnt work, the 10 is for derestricted bikes..

Maybe you should just get the engine rebuilt by someone who knows what goes where... then you cant blame the spark plug Wink

its the derestricted bike. and mate i no whats going on im just asking questions INCASE im doing something wrong but im obviiously not cos the answers im getting i allready no!ive not long bought the bike so any problems were there when i got it. (not caused by me).

the BR10eg dont burn the fuel quick enough and causes the bike to bog down so im gonna order a BR9. im not asking because i dont no, im asking what people think is the best spark plug. i no what goes were and what everythings called. so take ya bad karma somewere else Mad

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i no what goes were and what everythings called.

You obviously don't know where car spark plugs go.

Just use the standard plug for the bike, any spares shop will have all the details on micro-fiche. Don't waste 15 quid on iridium nonsense, its not going to make any difference.

Id take the car plug out soon as though, you cant just put anything in there, Your lucky the plug hasn't smashed a hole in your piston. Also as you know, using the wrong heat rated plugs opens up a whole world of possible seizures.
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

leepick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:39 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazza wrote:
Quote:
i no what goes were and what everythings called.

You obviously don't know where car spark plugs go.

Just use the standard plug for the bike, any spares shop will have all the details on micro-fiche. Don't waste 15 quid on iridium nonsense, its not going to make any difference.

Id take the car plug out soon as though, you cant just put anything in there, Your lucky the plug hasn't smashed a hole in your piston. Also as you know, using the wrong heat rated plugs opens up a whole world of possible seizures.

i no but it was what worked at the time. its probly why my bike seized in the first place. im gonna get the br10eg and br9eg and see which one it takes best. br8 is to hot for the derestricted i understand and br10 maybe too cold so in the middle should be ok... the teflon coated mitaka piston an rings came today just waiting for the gasket kit. got a full kit to do the whole engine it needed it... i probly dont no as much as you lot but im not dumb i just wanna double check stuff so i dont make the same mistake twice.
thanks for your help

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
probly dont no as much as you lot but im not dumb i just wanna double check stuff so i dont make the same mistake twice.
thanks for your help

This may not be true in my case, I can think quite logically when diagnosing other peoples problems, but i often get stumped and come to the forums for advice with my own machine!
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

leepick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:19 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazza wrote:
Quote:
probly dont no as much as you lot but im not dumb i just wanna double check stuff so i dont make the same mistake twice.
thanks for your help

This may not be true in my case, I can think quite logically when diagnosing other peoples problems, but i often get stumped and come to the forums for advice with my own machine!

i only found this forum a few days ago. pretty good. you get good advice here but you get a load of funny pr**ks who just want to belittle you aswell

thanks for your help

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:21 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, im trying to be as helpful as possible, my RS ran absolutely spot on.

Mitaka pistons use cheap rings, so if you have the standard rings, you'll need to rebuild the top end again very soon.
Upgraded rings are made by Rikken, if you bought the kit from PJME they upgrade the rings for free as standard.

BR8 is for the 14hp 11kW RS125.

BR10 is for the derestricted FP RS125.

That is it...i wouldnt put 8 in a FP bike, and I wouldnt put a 10 in the 11kW bike.

How do you know its not burning it quick enough?

Its not belittling you, I've only owned 1 RS, so I cant be 100% correct, but I would trust most people on here to be helpful, especially as probably 50% have owned RS125's.

Also, stating you know what you are doing, yet putting a piston in the wrong way? Neutral

Either way, i've given you as much info as I can... check other things rather than blaming a spark plug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

leepick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:57 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Well, im trying to be as helpful as possible, my RS ran absolutely spot on.

Mitaka pistons use cheap rings, so if you have the standard rings, you'll need to rebuild the top end again very soon.
Upgraded rings are made by Rikken, if you bought the kit from PJME they upgrade the rings for free as standard.

BR8 is for the 14hp 11kW RS125.

BR10 is for the derestricted FP RS125.

That is it...i wouldnt put 8 in a FP bike, and I wouldnt put a 10 in the 11kW bike.

How do you know its not burning it quick enough?

Its not belittling you, I've only owned 1 RS, so I cant be 100% correct, but I would trust most people on here to be helpful, especially as probably 50% have owned RS125's.

Also, stating you know what you are doing, yet putting a piston in the wrong way? Neutral

Either way, i've given you as much info as I can... check other things rather than blaming a spark plug.

it wasnt personally aimed at you mate, i appreciate the help/advice but not the sarcasm and the belittlement some people (not just you) give out. they wouldnt talk like it to most peoples faces so theres no need on the internet really. and i no the br8 is no good what about br9? inbetween . and i said i ent dumb i didnt say i no everything thats probly why i put it on the wrong way lol... but im not completly thick when it comes to them.there was a br10eg in the bike when i bought it and the bike would start and idle for about 15 seconds then bog down and cut out so i put a diffrent spark plug in and it started and stayed running (that was the standard spark plug not sure if it was car plug or not just banged it in there) yeh thats probly why it blew but at the same time it proves it was the plug because i also cleaned the carb jets. im gonna get another br10eg because the bike is 100% derestricted it does 110+ and gets a major boost around 8k. but if br9eg works maybe one of them would be worth getting as a spare just incase the br10 bogs again

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:02 - 28 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find the reason why its bogging down.

It wont be the plug, if it does those speeds it will not be the plug.

Also, if you haven't rebuilt it fully yet (im assuming you are waiting for piston kit) then wait till that arrives rather than risk killing the barrel.

leepick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:57 - 29 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
You need to find the reason why its bogging down.

It wont be the plug, if it does those speeds it will not be the plug.

Also, if you haven't rebuilt it fully yet (im assuming you are waiting for piston kit) then wait till that arrives rather than risk killing the barrel.

hi, thanks for the reply.
ive got the mitaka piston an rings im just waiting for the full gasket kit which should be here this morning/afternoon
ive bought new coil, new piston kit,gasket kit, new con rod and bearings. so not sure what else it could be. the bike was running ok with the spark plug i put in (but it was just a normal spark plug) but that more than likely caused it to blow so im thinking after the rebuild if i put a brand new br10eg in it should be running back to normal again ( i hope )... most the problems do sound spark plug related tho i.e (not idling proply at low revs, bogging down, etc)... unless it could be an underlying problem

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 29 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend BR10ES Thumbs Up

BR10EG is excellent if you trash your derestricted bike, ES is a bit better if you ride like a fanny, as it's a bit more oil resistant even though it's not a hotter plug.

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 29 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApriliaNutter wrote:

BR10EG is excellent if you trash your derestricted bike, ES is a bit better if you ride like a fanny, as it's a bit more oil resistant even though it's not a hotter plug.

How is a larger center electrode more oil resistant? Surely it would be the other way round (as in iridium plugs, thin centre electrode)

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 29 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:
ApriliaNutter wrote:

How is a larger center electrode more oil resistant? Surely it would be the other way round (as in iridium plugs, thin centre electrode)

Saying from experience. ES has much larger electrode which doesnt get covered by oil as easily as EG plug. I experimented with both plugs (had a few EG and ES plugs) and was adjusting oil pump and increasing the oil flow. ES takes more oil and runs where EG dies.

You clearly don't have practical experience with both.. but everybody has the right to share his theory I guess. I prefer a practical approach Smile

leepick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:33 - 29 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

lool i dont ride like a fanny. im not a nutter but id probly be better off getting the BR10EG. thanks for the advice tho.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1