Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

honda cg no compression

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: honda cg no compression Reply with quote

well i bought an old cg to play with. it was only 10 miles from me and got it with tax and mot for £70 including delivery to the door!
pretty good i think Cool
it does however have an issue.
take a look at pics!

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha sweet! I'm jealous! I love CG's and might be holy... but make sure you remove the rest of the debris and they are pretty basic engines anyway. Thumbs Up

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 19 Jul 2011    Post subject: cg Reply with quote

so now you have seen the piston and i am still looking for the head from the valve that went through it Laughing
barrel is fooked too.
amazingly the bottom end turns and im wondering do i really need to split the bottom end to get all the bits out, is there another way to get any bits out that may be in there? i am assuming splitting the bottom end would be normal procedure??
one other part i am after is an inlet rubber from the carb to the engine the style usually found on chinese engines, specifically a hongdou chituma ctm 125, but im quite sure others such as kymco, ajs, yamasaki, skyjet, jialing and other chinese single cylinder cg type motors would be the same as i have a cylinder head but it takes a different inlet rubber. (need one with the mounting holes to the engine facing the ground and the sky not the left and the right if that makes any sense Confused )

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no other way of getting all the bits out, they are alloy so you can't even fish them out with a magnet.

They are such easy engines to work on though, and parts are cheap.

Ade75
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:28 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats broken Thumbs Up Laughing Bargain though, well found Thumbs Up

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:20 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of it, I would look into how small the oil ways are first and if the oil goes through the strainer before being picked up.

To be perfectly honest with you though, I would split it and clean it out. Its easer with a bike so small like a CG, I wanted to sort my VTR out but no space. Crying or Very sad

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happens I have the piston and barrel from the 150 engine in the shed (standard, used 125 fare) some marks on the piston but should help to get yours up and running, no spare head though...

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info everyone Thumbs Up
looks like im going to be stripping the engine further then...

Quote:
There is no other way of getting all the bits out, they are alloy so you can't even fish them out with a magnet.

this thought did cross my mind but as you say it wont fish the alloy out, checked with the local motorcycle shop that agree with the engine being stripped completely but they thought the bike wasnt worth it Shocked and that a cheap complete engine is the best way.

Quote:
I think thats broken Bargain though, well found

thanks i thought so! full tank of petrol too Very Happy

Quote:
Posted: 12:08 - 20 Jul 2011 Post subject:

As it happens I have the piston and barrel from the 150 engine in the shed (standard, used 125 fare) some marks on the piston but should help to get yours up and running, no spare head though...

sounds interesting, if i can successfully rebuild the bottom end i will look into it Thumbs Up

Samber
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:57 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this any use to you? Might be a quick way to get the bike running again.
Seller is nothing to do with me by the way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mccluskeyd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with another engine is that the wiring may not be exactly as per the CG's.

Especially if it is a Chinese copy, which mainly use pattern bits from the electric start engines which are slightly different internally than what looks to me as being a pre-Brazil model....?

I would try and put your own engine back together, as if you want to do it the correct way (!!??) you would have to inform DVLA of an engine swap which is often more troublesome than the bike itself. (i.e. they sometimes want proof that a garage did it for you, or a RAC check etc).

As for a head ; breakers are full of them, same with the Carb inlet rubber. You are better sticking to CG stuff, as if you go the Chinese route it may not fit exactly.

Splitting the engines :
You quite often need an impact driver to undo the casing bolts as it may never have been opened. Having someone with you that has done it before is a good idea.
As for the internals ; they are very simple inside, and make sure and have plenty of clean workspace to work on, and label everything as you go.

As for the bike ; it's a cracker at that price ; I love CG's and have had a few, they are brilliant little machines.

All the best,
DMcC.
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

mccluskeyd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaah !!!

Thought you would bring that one up Rob ! Very Happy

And very grateful I was as well....!

All the best,

David.

Xenocide
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:59 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a paperweight on my desk which is the battered remains of a cg piston. I quite like it. No hole in the top though.

You win.

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 20 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted: 13:57 - 20 Jul 2011 Post subject:

Is this any use to you? Might be a quick way to get the bike running again.
Seller is nothing to do with me by the way.

thanks for the link but i want to keep it all honda, Very Happy

i thought about making it into a 'cafe racer' style when i noticed it on ebay but as soon as i saw it with all the original bits including the mirrors i decided against it, might go as far as a custom exhaust but not at the expense of the one on it as that doesnt look a week old!
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 21 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cos its a points model it looks like the timings been wrong and as people abuse em and dont change the oil they can overheat

im glad you mention this, how do i check/adjust the points?
thanks
also ive been to another bike shop today and they recommend i just get another engine, if i go down this route i will be looking for the later cdi honda cg engine and loom. having said that i do have a cb100 engine, its ohc but should bolt straight in, anyone know if the cg loom would work with it? only as an alternative to buying another honda engine, i have two chinese engines that would go in but i hate those things!
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

humanbeing
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 22 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozza59 wrote:

im glad you mention this, how do i check/adjust the points?
thanks
also ive been to another bike shop today and they recommend i just get another engine

the chinese way to do it cheaply https://www.motoyes.net/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=193561
AB glue the CD70 pickup / some welding / DC CDI (ie. bigger size & a extra red wire) / GY6 rectifier Razz

Last edited by humanbeing on 11:44 - 28 Mar 2012; edited 1 time in total

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 23 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the chinese way to do it cheaply https://www.motoyes.net/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=193561
AB glue the CD70 pickup / some welding / DC CDI (ie. bigger size & a extra red wire) / GY6 rectifier

thats amazing! Thumbs Up

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 24 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info everyone but its all done and back together now with original engine, runs sweet enough and ive done 100 miles on it today starts first kick too.
i planned to get another cg engine so for the sake of it i turned the original motor upside down and shook it, flushed with petrol and shook again, i think most/all of the bits are out of it now and the lot works very well. how lucky is that!

humanbeing
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:00 - 24 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also another way to CDI that don't need new pickup & welding https://www.chegongshe.com/News/20074/car_N_412.html BUT Embarassed the "points" need to be in working order
That config is LESSER problem than "pure" form due to no "amp" passing on it BUT the "gap" ...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 251 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1