Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Front brake sticking.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

NinaMarie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:50 - 07 Nov 2011    Post subject: Front brake sticking. Reply with quote

Ok so took my bike to shop for new tyre and he tells me front brake is sticking, which i sort of knew because it keeps squeaking at me.

He told me what to do but it went in one ear and out the other.. and i've forgot.. Embarassed I just remember him saying grease... Laughing

Its getting worse in the cold, dont wanna end up on my face!!
Where do i start guys??

Any help would be much appreciated Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 07 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be best to start with a manual for the bike as it will be useful for lots of other procedures.It is usually something that I buy for any bike as soon after purchase that is possible.The manual will explain how to remove the caliper,where to clean andhow to lubricate with what grease for starters.Then it will go through how to remove the piston/pistons from the calipers,how to clean behind the seals that hold the pistons in place and how to bleed the system after you have reassembled it all.

If you already have a half decent tool kit then you are on the next step to mechanicing on your own bike.We have all started somewhere - well done for contemplating doing this yourself.

Always have a 'Plan B'

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:36 - 07 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its the CBR125, welcome to the wonderful world of brakes Laughing

The calipers on these seem to love sticking, I've had about4 CBRs, all have had sticky front brakes.

Basically, unbolt the caliper from the fork, slide it off the disk and remove the pads.

You'll more than likely see a lovely bunh of crud sitting around the piston at the front. It collects here quite a lot. If you have some brake cleaner, give it a massive blast and use a toothbrush to really hack at the dirt. On my CBR I pushed the pistons back in with a small vice...but if you have a piece of wood handy, you can just slot it between the caliper and pistons and wiggle them back down. Give it a good clean though.

You'll also notice that there are some rubber bits on the caliper, behind these are pins that need greasing. They just unbolt and slide out. Clean the holes and grease the pins.

Reassemble them and hope they are better Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NinaMarie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:59 - 07 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a manual, i have the original and the haynes... forgot about them!

I dont have any toold i dont think, apart from screw drivers.

I could probably borrow some though!

Thanks guys, will be the first job (apart from changing forks on my ped) that i've done myself.

Could end horrificly!! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NinaMarie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 03:56 - 11 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempted to do my brakes myself.
(My friend ended up taking over, i wasn't going to object Laughing)

Could poss need new seals, see how it goes over the next few days.

Pistons weren't moving together like they apparently should, and the wheel wasnt spinning smoothly, was hard to turn in certain points which we thought could be a bent disc?

Its all copper greased and the wheel is spinning okay for the time being, check it again in a few days, order some new seals as a precaution Thumbs Up

I'm learning guys!!! Laughing
I need some pink overalls for when im mechanicing!

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 11 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for trying.

I did some R1 calipers recently.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Picture383.jpg

Once they had been stripped down

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Picture384.jpg

I then cleaned everything and reassembled them with no problems,even though the bike had done 48,000 miles.Do not use copaslip on the piston seals - use only fresh brake fluid.Use copaslip on items like the ends of the pads where they slide in the caliper as well as the pins that hold the pads in place.A small turn of PTFE tape on the thread of the bleed nipple stops any air from getting back into the caliper when bleeding them.

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1