Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

George white stores in administration

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: George white stores in administration Reply with quote

Is it just the Swindon branch or have they all bitten the dust?
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky

Last edited by Marmalade on 17:47 - 19 Jan 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno but i just rang all the stores listed on their website and no one answered.
Not a good sign if a 1# retailer is closing down.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:55 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whole lot, according to MCN.

They were just after talking about opening a showroom in Edinburgh last Autumn, so I assume things went south pretty quickly since then.

KDub
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:00 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame, I only just recently picked up some good deals there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? I ordered a jacket literally two days ago from them! It's waiting for me at the DHL depot fortunately, but that's a shocker.. Hope it's in good nick!
Shame Thumbs Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the £9000 I've spent there in the last year wasn't enough to keep them going then... Real shame actually, cos it was a nice ride out from Oxford to Swindon and I could literally spend hours browsing.

Edit: The website appears to be live still.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real shame. A sign of things to come for others?

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign of big switch to 2nd hand bikes and indeed gear. Idea

............................................................................................................................................................

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:46 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the slump in new licensees, €conomic meltdown, the pending licensing regime, nanny chips, and Euro 4 / 5, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see one (or more) of the big Japanese manufacturers just throw in the towel and walk away from the UK / EU. At some point the volume will just be too low cover their costs, no matter how high they crank the unit prices (while the Chinese push prices in the 125 sector down).

I certainly think we'll see more dealers and training schools go under, and single-marque dealers having a hard think about whether they can afford to tie themselves to the likes of Yamaha who've screwed them with high prices, or Suzuki who've just devalued their used stock overnight with a price cut. It must be tough for all of them at the moment.

It almost - almost - makes me feel sad for their salesmen.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 15:56 - 19 Jan 2012; edited 2 times in total

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn only just got kitted out from there two weeks ago. Confused

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Crying or Very sad they have only recently opened their store in Bolton and its fantastic for bargains. And much cheaper than ESB and Doug Hacking and was much easier than going to Hein Gericke in Salford and Rocket Centre at Blackburn.

Bad times.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:10 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading lots of good things about them, they seem(ed) like a decent outfit.

It reminds me of an old Russian proverb that I just made up, that in the coldest Winters, only the wolves survive.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were a good bunch and always very helpful to me

Wasn't that long ago that they closed there store in London

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their web site is gone now too.

Quote:
Sorry, George White is currently unavailable.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 17:41 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it shows that the 'pile 'em high & sell 'em cheap' method doesn't quite stack up anymore.

I'd be surprised if someone doesn't buy them up and carry on though.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my busa and the wifes bandit from them. They delivered the bikes when they said they would, despite snow. They were loads cheaper than my local Suzy dealer and they actually did what they said they did in the service department.

I bought a scorpion titanium twin exhaust system fro the busa for under £300 from them and all my helmets for ages are theirs.

I'm sorry to see them go Crying or Very sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:31 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
I think that it shows that the 'pile 'em high & sell 'em cheap' method doesn't quite stack up anymore.

It's beginning to look like they'd adopted a "We're making a loss on every bike, but look how many we're selling!" strategy. Doh!

McJamweasel wrote:
I'd be surprised if someone doesn't buy them up and carry on though.

I'd be more surprised if anyone does. Who's going to bankroll it, with sales in the toilet? If they couldn't shift stock even at knockdown prices, what would a new owner do differently? A free Albanian lap dancer on the pillion of every new bike?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
A free Albanian lap dancer on the pillion of every new bike?

Yes please Razz

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

no surprise to me, reliant on lots of customers flocking there as they had very little profit margin and sold volume for bonuses from the manufacturers for hitting sales targets

selling helmets for £20 and gloves for a tenner would be great if everyone in the country rode a motorcycle, but there's not enough profit in doing that with the current market, a huge wages bill, huge council tax, and the VAT man to keep happy

at least Carnell did the decent thing and shut the doors when they couldn't make things work, I hope White's haven't done the nasty like that dealer last year...........

feel sorry for the staff, good luck to you all

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 19 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of eye achingly cute... and helpful girls working in the swindon branch... and outlet for that matter! They undercut EVERYBODY else for the price of an arai RX7-GP lid and AGV GP Tech for that matter.

Unfortunately, the place gives me bad memories. My bike broke down there after my battery got fried - burnt out altenator and reg reg finally gave in and left me stranded there on a sunday afternoon in the middle of summer!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
junglejim This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 20 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN have many fingers in many pies .... Idea

Their just offer up the discounted space to

MnP ! ....................................................................................

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 20 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised by this, motorcycling in the UK is on one long, slow moribund decline.

JustGraham
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:37 - 20 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been in there myself, but there probably be a few more shops before the year's out Sad
we may not be in a recession (so they say) but things are just slow atm, and if shops slash prices they have to sell more stock to make the same profit to pay the bills, ect

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 20 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Given the slump in new licensees, €conomic meltdown, the pending licensing regime, nanny chips, and Euro 4 / 5, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see one (or more) of the big Japanese manufacturers just throw in the towel and walk away from the UK / EU. At some point the volume will just be too low cover their costs, no matter how high they crank the unit prices (while the Chinese push prices in the 125 sector down).

I doubt that (and hopefully i'm right). The EU is the richest trading block in the world. None have walked away from the USA despite then having to cripple bikes for California.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5