Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can someone help plz, Sym Jet basix 50cc Derestriction Prob

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

HellToTheYer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:13 - 26 Jan 2012    Post subject: Can someone help plz, Sym Jet basix 50cc Derestriction Prob Reply with quote

Hi can someone help plz, i have a problem, im trying to derestrict my Sym Jet Basix 50cc, and i carn't find what the restriction is, its not on the exhaust or a variator washer or in the air intake, plz help, im propper stuck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 26 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

50cc bikes are restricted by law rather than by a mechanical restriction. There may be a few "mods" you can do to add a little more power, but you can't remove the restriction.

Because the bikes are restricted by law the manufacturers make the engines adhere to that restriction. Hence having no restriction to remove.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 26 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: Can someone help plz, Sym Jet basix 50cc Derestriction P Reply with quote

HellToTheYer wrote:
Hi can someone help plz, i have a problem, im trying to derestrict my Sym Jet Basix 50cc, and i carn't find what the restriction is, its not on the exhaust or a variator washer or in the air intake, plz help, im propper stuck.

First lets correct your spelling and grammar:

Quote:
Hi can someone help me please? I have a problem, Im trying to derestrict my Sym Jet Basix 50cc, and I can't work out by what method it is restricted. Its not in the exhaust, there is no washer in the variator or plate in the air intake. I dont know what to do next.

Now its at least readable without cringing.

Before I even get into the other possible restriction methods, perhaps you should be made aware of the various legalities surrounding de-restriction.

As im sure your aware a 16 year old on L plates (with a provisional licence and a CBT) is only allowed to ride a moped with an engine capacity not in excess of 50cc and a top speed of 31 mph (or 28mph if its a more modern one). By derestricting the moped it becomes a motorcycle. This is not only illegal for a 16 year old to ride but is also illegal for anyone on a full motorcycle licence to ride because it is now a mis-registered vehicle. Because it has been derestricted it is now classed as a motorcycle and you should re-register it as such. This will probably involve an IVA test or at least a DVLA inspection.

And all this is before we even get onto undeclared modifications on insurance policies.

Now, there are a couple more ways in which the moped could be restricted, although what you stand to gain my removing them is negligible. The post likely restriction you will have is in the CDI, this limits the RPM and therefore the top speed. The only way to remove this restriction would be to purchase a derestricted CDI (or if your so inclined perhaps you could build something to fool the CDI into thinking that the RPM is lower then the max when its not, however this may well be out of your skill set).

The only other way I can think of that your bike is likely to be restricted by is with a plate in the inlet manifold. To get to this you will have to remove the carburettor and have a look.

Personally, If I was you, id not bother trying to make your chinese shitbox go faster and id concentrate on getting through your first year of motoring without any points and with 1 years motorcycle no claims. Then you can get a 125 and do your motocycle tests opening up a world of cheaper and much quicker motorcycles.

MikeyBrown
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:18 - 27 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: Can someone help plz, Sym Jet basix 50cc Derestriction P Reply with quote

HellToTheYer wrote:

Before I even get into the other possible restriction methods, perhaps you should be made aware of the various legalities surrounding de-restriction.

As im sure your aware a 16 year old on L plates (with a provisional licence and a CBT) is only allowed to ride a moped with an engine capacity not in excess of 50cc and a top speed of 31 mph (or 28mph if its a more modern one). By derestricting the moped it becomes a motorcycle. This is not only illegal for a 16 year old to ride but is also illegal for anyone on a full motorcycle licence to ride because it is now a mis-registered vehicle. Because it has been derestricted it is now classed as a motorcycle and you should re-register it as such. This will probably involve an IVA test or at least a DVLA inspection.

And all this is before we even get onto undeclared modifications on insurance policies.

Now, there are a couple more ways in which the moped could be restricted, although what you stand to gain my removing them is negligible. The post likely restriction you will have is in the CDI, this limits the RPM and therefore the top speed. The only way to remove this restriction would be to purchase a derestricted CDI (or if your so inclined perhaps you could build something to fool the CDI into thinking that the RPM is lower then the max when its not, however this may well be out of your skill set).

The only other way I can think of that your bike is likely to be restricted by is with a plate in the inlet manifold. To get to this you will have to remove the carburettor and have a look.

Personally, If I was you, id not bother trying to make your chinese shitbox go faster and id concentrate on getting through your first year of motoring without any points and with 1 years motorcycle no claims. Then you can get a 125 and do your motocycle tests opening up a world of cheaper and much quicker motorcycles.[/quote]

I totally agree! You need to remember the legalities of such modifications and the implications if you do not declare them to your insurance company.

Also, if you have no luck in finding the restrictor, then the chances are, it may have already been de-restricted and it is just that slow now. What sort of speed are you getting at the moment?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeyBrown
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:25 - 27 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: Can someone help plz, Sym Jet basix 50cc Derestriction P Reply with quote

HellToTheYer wrote:

Personally, If I was you, id not bother trying to make your chinese shitbox go faster and id concentrate on getting through your first year of motoring without any points and with 1 years motorcycle no claims. Then you can get a 125 and do your motocycle tests opening up a world of cheaper and much quicker motorcycles.

I totally agree! You need to remember the legalities of such modifications and the implications if you do not declare them to your insurance company.

Also, if you have no luck in finding the restrictor, then the chances are, it may have already been de-restricted and it is just that slow now. What sort of speed are you getting at the moment?

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 27 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic quote failure. "HellToTheYer" did not say that, I did Laughing

MikeyBrown
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:00 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

computid wrote:
Epic quote failure. "HellToTheYer" did not say that, I did Laughing

I know, the bloody college computers are shite at times Sad I do apologise Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1