Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DIY Electric starter rollers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: DIY Electric starter rollers Reply with quote

Hi all, I know one or two people on here have made their own rolling road style starters and I was wondering how they went about making them. Did you use a car starter motor or just any high torque motor/low torque with gearing?

For those who dont know they look like this...

https://89.206.185.119/resources/ebay/dtmotorcycle/eur90022.jpg

Many thanks and karma cookies given as always.

Thanks,
Damon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger made his own and recently posted some pics and info on this site. I can't find the thread but it may be worthwhile PMing him.

Mikey CB500
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:43 - 29 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=218557&highlight=starter

Thats ariel badgers one Smile looks pretty smart

PM him for advice sure he will be happy to help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:23 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: DIY Electric starter rollers Reply with quote

Seen them made using an old minimoto too.

However, these days would go with some sort of electric - plenty of options available.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: DIY Electric starter rollers Reply with quote

G wrote:
Seen them made using an old minimoto too.

However, these days would go with some sort of electric - plenty of options available.

That's the plan, do you a 12v setup would be strong enough?

I've been sourcing parts all evening and have been given a fiesta starter motor for free. Not too sure It will be strong enough but for free it's worth a punt... if not, I'll buy something from a large diesel

Have emailed Ariel badger for some advice but have pretty much got everything together... My eBay "basket" is looking quite full. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:44 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: DIY Electric starter rollers Reply with quote

Reckon the Fiesta one should be ok.

12v setup is fine if you're going for a car starter - can get plenty strong enough.
Various other motors, such as those used in electric vehicles and you'd be better going for 36/48v ones as they tend to be higher power.

Remember a car starter will generally have a solenoid which engages it.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Re: DIY Electric starter rollers Reply with quote

G wrote:
Reckon the Fiesta one should be ok.

12v setup is fine if you're going for a car starter - can get plenty strong enough.
Various other motors, such as those used in electric vehicles and you'd be better going for 36/48v ones as they tend to be higher power.

Remember a car starter will generally have a solenoid which engages it.

Fair play, this fiesta starter has the solenoid bolted to the side so it's all good. I will keep you guys updated on any progress. The RS500 is pretty close to being started now... Thumbs Up

Johnser
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:00 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, car starters tend to only have a bearing at one end (the other sits in the gearbox) this'll mean you have to make a bracket up (fairly accurately) with a bearing to hold the shaft steady. I'm pretty sure old fiesta ones are like this too but could be wrong.

edit: just read the Ariel's thread - exactly like he has done!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:19 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it done where people just make a pair of long rollers then put one of the driven van wheels on one side of them and the bike wheel on the other side.

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've seen it done where people just make a pair of long rollers then put one of the driven van wheels on one side of them and the bike wheel on the other side.

See the aforementioned link re: Ariel's starting rollers Wink

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnser wrote:
Also, car starters tend to only have a bearing at one end (the other sits in the gearbox) this'll mean you have to make a bracket up (fairly accurately) with a bearing to hold the shaft steady. I'm pretty sure old fiesta ones are like this too but could be wrong.

No they don't. Most starters are completely self-contained units with no outboard support.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnser
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:15 - 30 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

No they don't. Most starters are completely self-contained units with no outboard support.

Well, all the ones I have knocking around are but they're all older vw ones. A quick ebay search suggests that fiesta starters should be self contained though so fair enough!

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a look in the garage tomorrow, pretty sure i've got a starter from a BMW 325I kicking about if anyone wants it for one of these starter roller projects...

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Johnser wrote:

The 'outboard' support is in the cone/housing that surrounds the Bendix gear. Sometimes a needle roller sometimes cheap brass bush. But there is a bearing....

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:14 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
I will have a look in the garage tomorrow, pretty sure i've got a starter from a BMW 325I kicking about if anyone wants it for one of these starter roller projects...

Let me know if you find it. Might be a bit better than the fiesta starter.
Thanks Damon

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 31 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
The 'outboard' support is in the cone/housing that surrounds the Bendix gear. Sometimes a needle roller sometimes cheap brass bush. But there is a bearing....

By 'outboard' I mean other than is contained within the unit, as opposed to relying on a gearbox bearing.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 01 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Walloper wrote:

By 'outboard' I mean other than is contained within the unit, as opposed to relying on a gearbox bearing.

I guessed that but we demand 'clarity' @bcf Sir.... Wink

I think the home-made jobbies have that OEM outer bearing support removed and something else fabricated to carry the std. bearing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1