Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Replace HS1 bulbs with H4? - CBF125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Beez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:41 - 14 Feb 2012    Post subject: Replace HS1 bulbs with H4? - CBF125 Reply with quote

Is it possible to replace the crappy HS1 bulbs in my CBF125 with some nice Philips H4's? Apparently the connector is the same but the power required is different? Don't want to end up melting some wires Smile

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 14 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:KDS4444/HS1_bulb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Beez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:42 - 14 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught2BCautious wrote:

So it will fit yes, but it was the different wattage issue I was getting at. The CBF's HS1's use 35/35w while the set of H4's I'm looking at use 60/55w.

I guess it's less a question of "can I?" and more a question of "will these explode my battery?".

Dracon
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:56 - 14 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't explode your battery, possibly melt your wiring (although I doubt it), but possibly melt your lens, especially as the Honda is an always-on.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 14 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't do it, you'll cause damage to the plastics in the lens, might drain your battery much quicker also, I've found my clr125 doesn't really like anything additional hooked up to take power ie heated grips etc

Beez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:47 - 14 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah thought as much, cheers for the replies.

Seems a bit daft Honda would limit a bikes primary method of being seen to such a low wattage bulb, maybe because it's always on?

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the headlight is powered from the alternator on the CBF125 - so you may be overloading that rather than the battery. As in, there may not be enough juice left to charge the battery.

I guess it depends on what you're used to - I find the 35W bulb perfectly adequate even on unlit country roads at night. Just keep that lens clean, as the build-up of dirt really has an affect. As far as 125s go, I think the CBF has one of the better headlamp designs - decent reflectors scatter the light evenly across the road, much more so than bikes with the round shells, like the YBRs which project a useless spot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:11 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick look on ebay shows you can get HS1 HID kits.
The one I looked at wasn't clear if it was 35w, but most are - you use a 35W to replace a 55W and it's still brighter than the standard by a good chunk.

Are other legal issues and a bit more hassle to fit, however.

Beez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:34 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:
I guess it depends on what you're used to - I find the 35W bulb perfectly adequate even on unlit country roads at night. Just keep that lens clean, as the build-up of dirt really has an affect. As far as 125s go, I think the CBF has one of the better headlamp designs - decent reflectors scatter the light evenly across the road, much more so than bikes with the round shells, like the YBRs which project a useless spot.

True, and I guess this is my first proper bike so I probably just need to adjust to it.

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arceon wrote:
Bah thought as much, cheers for the replies.

Seems a bit daft Honda would limit a bikes primary method of being seen to such a low wattage bulb, maybe because it's always on?

I had the same problem with my 2008 Honda Varadero! I used to cuss the 'stoopid cagers' for pulling out of side-roads on me all the time, until I nearly did the same thing myself when I was out in the car one evening.

I was waiting to turn right out of a side road and almost failed to notice a bike similar to mine with it's dirty-yellow headlights, against a background of much brighter headlights on the following traffic.

Now some people will tell you it can't be done, or shouldn't be done, but I fitted 2 x 35W H4 HID Xenons in place of the 2 x 35W BA20D's (which are only good for map reading) and have had no trouble since.

They draw the same current as before, but run cooler - so no risk of damaging the wiring or plastics.

It took a bit of fettling to get the same beam pattern as the originals, but a mate of mine who is an ex biker-cop couldn't find anything wrong with them, and the bike recently passed it's first MOT.

PM me if you are interested in more info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the CBF, you will need to convert the headlight wiring to DC, having it run off the battery, if you want to run HID.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bulb is a ba20d, the original in the bike when i got it was useless, couldn't see a thing, probably burning out though as no idea how long it had been in.

Replaced with a xenon ba20d bulb, same wattage (35w) and it's made a big ole difference and the white light is better, doesn't shine blue at all which is good to avoid the chavvy look

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:44 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:
On the CBF, you will need to convert the headlight wiring to DC, having it run off the battery, if you want to run HID.

Ah and that being the case, you could then cause more problems as the reg/rec may not be able to keep.

Seems like best bet might just be to learn to live with it until you get a bigger bike!

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:

Easy enough - just need to fit a 6Amp Bridge Rectifier to each ballast.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 179 days between these two posts...

bigdyl69
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:00 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you fit one of these bridge rectifiers?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1