Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2007 Suzuki GSF650SA - to buy or not to buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

drew86
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: 2007 Suzuki GSF650SA - to buy or not to buy? Reply with quote

Hi all, I posted a few days ago about a 2008 ER6F - after reading peoples views, I've broadened my search and am now considering a GSF650SA... its a 2007 model with 13000 miles on. its up for £3.5k and has a FSH. it has a kappa top box rack fitted and is really clean and tidy. It's obviously been very well cared for and is in good nick.

I'm new to all this biking lark however, and other than internet reviews etc (which all say the bandit or the er6f are good for a variety of reasons and bad for not many) I don't have much to go on. So I'd be grateful for your opinions and input.

It will be restricted if that has any bearing on the info.

thanks all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandits have got to be up there with some of the most popular bikes going. They have bullet proof engines, and the newer models don't look half bad if you ask me.

The price seems ok, FSH is always a good thing. Have you got a link to the bike in question? Or a picture... Would give us all a better idea of what you're looking at.

Maruchino
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:07 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiterate Troy's comments entirely.

Is that a dealer price as it seems a bit steep? With a bit of haggling you can get a brand new GSX650F for £6k with 0 miles and a 2 year warranty.

£3.5k for a 5 year old bike and 13k miles seems a bit steep to me. Presumably this is a dealer bike?

drew86
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bevanmc.co.uk/used-motorcycle.asp?q=010321EB5C873457DC46BE51BDD83AE67E0D5F8C1B337ADB20A4598C3060D2BC

Thats a good idea! Exclamation Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

drew86
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maruchino wrote:
Reiterate Troy's comments entirely.

Is that a dealer price as it seems a bit steep? With a bit of haggling you can get a brand new GSX650F for £6k with 0 miles and a 2 year warranty.

£3.5k for a 5 year old bike and 13k miles seems a bit steep to me. Presumably this is a dealer bike?

it is a dealer price. I'm getting £1700 part ex for my 2011 YBR. I'm aware I could get one cheaper privately, but that means advertising costs, potentially getting less for it than the part ex price, taking a lot longer till I can get my leg over. Also, I'm no good at selling things and can't be arsed with a tyre kicker wasting my saturday mornings and the like!

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it definitely looks in good condition. I think there is a tiny dent on the exhaust, but it doesn't look big enough to be the result of a drop.

Can you get a test ride on it, because that should help you decide if it's the right bike for you anyway.

Part exchanging your YBR definitely makes it appealing. The amount of hassle you'll save from selling that thing could be worth the extra money, it certainly was when I traded in mine.

Just seen they have an R1 for the same price! Sod being sensible, just get your leg over that sexy bitch Cool

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO NO NO! That's way too much money.

That's the oil cooled version. They changed to liquid cooled in 2007/8 and you shoiuld be easily able to get one of those for that money.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201210455389898/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/model/gsf/make/suzuki/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/mk64lp?logcode=p

drew86
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 21 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Polar,

I have seen them cheaper, but only privately. and that means not able to part ex my YBR. I really can't be bothered with the whole private selling thing. its too much hassle to save a few bob.

i'm more concerned about the actual bike, whats peoples opinions on the bandit in general? I like that its faired as I notice a big ammount of wind etc on my YBR doing only 60mph so I can imagine it gets a lot worse over 70 on a bigger unfaired bike!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 22 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with Bandits. There's nothing wrong with the oil cooled bandits. I just think it's over priced.

Take this, on sale in Appleyards -

https://www.colinappleyard.com/motorcycles/used/suzuki-gsf-2007-24460252

£300 cheaper, half the mileage and watercooled.

That said, if you are happy with the deal, that's what matters.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:01 - 22 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
There's nothing wrong with Bandits. There's nothing wrong with the oil cooled bandits. I just think it's over priced.

Just not much 'right' with them either Smile.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:19 - 22 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're having a laugh at that price. You know that's a starting point for haggling, right?

Be aware that it's a heavy lump of a bike, although the oil/air cooled ones appear to be a bit lighter than the tank of a 2009 model that I dropped. Embarassed

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 22 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offer £3400.

I would say go for it. You won't have the hassle of trying to flog your own bike and the Bandit is a great first big bike after a 125. It's a capable, if slightly underwhelming, all rounder. It's comfy, has a great tank range and to be fair - will feel like a fookin' rocketship affter a 125. Mr. Green

Do eet Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:10 - 22 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, you need to get on eBay, search for bikes - include ended listings - and see what they're going for.

There's a 14,000 miler 2007 that sold for £2K, and one with under 3K miles asking £2995.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 22 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogers right, play your cards right and you will get one on ebay for £2000+. and still have your 125 to sell.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 22 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than that, buy new on tick from Suzuki, its really cheap as chips at the moment.

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 22 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far too expensive.

I had a '10 plate one as a hire bike last month and it was very disappointing. Astonishingly heavy! The suspension was noticeably budget. The only good thing about it was it had ABS, essential due to the plastic oem tyres.

I would rather have the ER6 over a blandit. It's got less power but is about 30kg lighter.
If you want something a bit cheaper, go for the SV650. They have a good engine and restrict well.
If you want something a bit fun, go for a hornet.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 22 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
Far too expensive.

I would rather have the ER6 over a blandit..

God no, my missus has one and loves it cause its light. An underpowered heap IMHO.

The bandit is fun, you can screw it. Fazer is better, Street is best for naked 600cc bikes.

FerretFing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 22 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Offer £3400.

Do eet Thumbs Up

You monster haggler you! A dealer's dream Mr. Green Offer them £2500 & get them to throw in a free service, remind them how tough it is for dealers out there as well & you'd hate to see them go out of business Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1