Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Van (transity sized)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Bikes & Accessories
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:42 - 30 Sep 2004    Post subject: [WANTED] Van (transity sized) Reply with quote

I really want a hitop, I would consider a semi-hitop.
Not too ridicuously long (ie not a LWB Sprinter), a LWB transit or similar would be ok, but I would prefer a Shorter Wheel Base. However, looking at an actual SWB transit, it looks like I could only reasonably fit one bike in really and would get very cramped if I could get two in.
I really want it to have Tax and MOT, at least MOT, very least no problems getting an MOT.
Needs to be able to cruise on the (German of course) motorway at a decent speed. Preferably with suspension in a serviceable state so I'm not bouncing all over the place.
Preferably diseal, so I can get /some/ fuel economy.
Preferably panel-lined, so I can stick things to the walls Smile.
Somewhere fairly local to Reading for collection.
Priced under £1000.

So, to summarise, ideally I want a MWB transit sized or bigger van, Tax and Test, Good condition, Diseal, panel lined, fairly local to Reading for under £1000.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 14:52 - 01 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself down the auctions. Blackbushe is good. I would stay away from ebay when buying a van as well.

https://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/main.asp?page=61

There is also a very good commercials auction in Oxford that runs every Tuesday and Thursday, I haven't been there for about a year now but they sell ex police stuff so it has all been looked after and serviced properly. I don't remember the name of it unfortunatley, Sad do a Google search for police auctions or something and see what comes up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

katana
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:06 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey G

Look at LDV 400 vans cheap as chips and rather good even though they are a mash of BL parts they do go well and parts as cheap as chips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:08 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had my eye on a few. Dusty's dad had one that I seem to remember did ok on the motorway.

Would be interested to hear anyone's views on the speeds you can get out of different types of vans. (Or at least the speeds you can cruise at.)

nickm
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 03 Oct 2004    Post subject: van advice Reply with quote

i've had loads of vans over the last few years for picking up bikes etc---the price range you're fishing around in is gonna give you something around the 1993-1995 range if you're talking transits, head gaskets blow a bit easy on the ldv's and most transits in that price range have a whining axle which will mean u won't want to go over 70mph--if you keep to sensible speeds ie: 70-75, a decent transit will last you forever if u do regular oil changes

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 04 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever driven Trannies, but the ones I've driven can cruise all day at 80 without a grumble (except one old knacker who's steering was so iffy I didn't dare take it over 50 for fear of getting thrown into something hard and unyielding Smile )
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Bikes & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1