Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gee's thoughts on the Karma system

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:15 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Gee's thoughts on the Karma system Reply with quote

Ok, I've always preferred the original system, so my views are going to be biased.

But it's annoyed me the way people now automatically associate post ratings with karma ie 'he's been karma bashing', 'everyone's ganged up and killed her karma'.
The way I see it the post ratings are there to rate posts if I rate a post good or bad it's because I genuinely think that of the post, not because I wish to see the posters karma level raised or lowered.

I was thinking of a few possibilities to keep in mind, though as Korn's just played with it I'm guessing he's not going to suddenly revamp everything Smile.

- A maximum effect of karma that one person can have on another in a set time. So one person can not solely massively effect another person's level, good or bad.

- A maximum effect of karma that both one post and one thread can have on some one's karma; obviously with a thread being able to have a greater effect. So if there's only one thread where someone has offended people, but in the rest of the forum they are posting generally agreeable posts, they do not lose all their karma.

- A Delay on the effects of Karma, for instance it could effect people's rating after a set amount of time. This could also have a cumulative effect based on posts around the same time, up to a maximum time limit again.
For instance if the time period chosen was a week, the karma would only be added to the person's totals a week after it was initially received. The cumulative effect could mean that if someone gets bad karma for a few days, but good for the weeks before that, then it's effects are lessened, and visa-versa. However if someone constantly gets good or bad karma, the effects are increased slightly.

- A 'I find this generally offensive, though it is not aimed at an individual' rating. Abusive and Flame both refer to personal attacks, while some people will reasonably find something offensive that is not intended personally. Like disagree, but slightly stronger.

- I would like a system where you can choose to give karma per post ratings. So you could choose how much effect your rating has on their karma. You could say be given a 'pot' of karma for a specified time period, or maybe have it augmented when good karma is received.
You could say have 100 karma 'points' to use in a month. When you rate posts you would by default say use 5 points of karma. However you would have the option to up it to a maximum of 10 or 15 if it was a matter you feel strongly about either way.

- I would also quite like a system to just give people karma for something they have done outside the forum, when there might not be a post to rate.
Preferably with a short explanation, ie 'helped fix my bike' etc. Obviously it would have to be subject to the above rules relating to maximum karma received from one person, so two people can not endlessly boost each other's karma. This could also be taken from the pot described above.

The idea is stop people not only seeing individual post ratings (good or bad) as a way to change someone's karma level, but to also stop some of the 'vendettas' that some people do seem to be perpetrating. Hopefully then people might be happier to view post ratings as just that; what people think about posts.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: Gee's thoughts on the Karma system Reply with quote

Some good points. I disagree with this however,
G wrote:
- I would also quite like a system to just give people karma for something they have done outside the forum, when there might not be a post to rate.
Preferably with a short explanation, ie 'helped fix my bike' etc.

I think that is very open to abuse. What good is awarding karma if it is for something not everyone can see/read etc? If you apply that rule then you may as well have karma in chat...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:04 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Re: Gee's thoughts on the Karma system Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

I think that is very open to abuse. What good is awarding karma if it is for something not everyone can see/read etc? If you apply that rule then you may as well have karma in chat...

I always thought one of the original ideas of karma was to reward people when they helped you; ie by reply to one of your questions etc, this would just take it a bit further. This is how I always used the first karma system; when someone helped me out, on the forum or in the rest of life, or made a post that I enjoyed I would give karma for it.

By having a 'commennt' bit for this, the idea was that it would be displayed along with the rest of the post ratings etc in the user profile. It would also be fairly obvious if someone was abusing this sort of thing.
If you combine this with only being able to give each user a specific amount of karma, then doing this would just mean that less post ratings between the two users would actually effect their karma if their 'allownace' had already been used up. Plenty of people rate a lot of the same people's posts as it is, so if there's a limit in the first place, the worst case is that it will make any 'abuse' more obvious.
If you were having a system whereby you only had a limited amount of karma to 'spend' each week or whatever then it would merely mean that you don't have to attach the karma to a post rating.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:59 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all seems a lot of hassle just to post on a forum.. before long going to need a fecking manual to keep track of all the do's and don'ts of karma Rolling Eyes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:04 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
This all seems a lot of hassle just to post on a forum.. before long going to need a fecking manual to keep track of all the do's and don'ts of karma Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes
One of the points of ideas like these is that they are not only in the background, but divert people from thinking about the effects of their post ratings. Ie rating post to get at people or 'big up' your friends, rather than because of what you actually think of the post.

By fuzzying exactly how it works people would hopefully not bother to make so concerted 'attacks' as such.

<shrugs> just thoughts while board at work, don't actually expect them to be implemented.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 19:33 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

and u should get karma for falling off
people woulnt be in a rush doing that on purpose
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 19:41 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should lose karma for crashing, that way people will calm down a bit and gradually improve their riding skills and yes this will work because of how many people seem to worship karma.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 00:49 - 08 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Could just imagine a world of karma bikers!
Hmm, "a ped boi next to me at the lights... No I wont race him because i might damage my Karma rating" LOL!
Could become world famous and we could all get little stickers for our helmets or our bikes with out Karma rating on them!

Ben...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:28 - 08 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The changes to fights and flame wars does seem a bit extreme, within a few posts in there changed from just under two solid yellows to being green. Confused Why does it matter posting in there so much, and the way it is now it would be better to delete the forum or just ban posting in there rather than the way it is now, and it would be better to enable posting topics otherwise general shit will just get posted in general chat instead. Confused

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 09:25 - 08 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
it would be better to enable posting topics otherwise general shit will just get posted in general chat instead. Confused

Nobody (should) start out with the intention to start a fight/flame war. You start a *debate* and people who are incapable of debating a point without insulting people or who can't accept that people have other views to them and thus reach for the post rating button are the ones that turn it into a fight. If it stays civil, it stays in chat. If people decide to turn it into a slanging match / witch hunt, it gets moved.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1