Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you deal with full time work?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: How do you deal with full time work? Reply with quote

Hi guys

How do you deal with working day in day out?
I know you'll probably lol as there will be those of you who have worked fulltime for the last 20+ years but fuck

I've been on the grind only 2 years and I still don't get how people can bare it, we spend more time working than enjoying life, we get one day a week where we can get a decent night sleep and stay up as late as we want without having to worry about waking up early (saturdays)

How do you people not go insane?
I by no means live to work and only really work to live, I need the money, would anyone really work if they didn't have to? I'd much rather focus on things I enjoy doing, however time-wasting they may seem

Dunno, maybe there are people out there doing what they love and are super happy in what they're doing
My job is by no means bad, it's the best i've had thus far as it's dealing with people so everyday is slightly different

But shiiiiiiiiit, we're expected to go on like this forever until we die?!

The average day seems to split into 3 parts, 8 hours sleep, 8 hours work, 8 hours free time... It's just not enough
I want to be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:14 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with full time work? Reply with quote

Work pays for the stuff I want.

If I want stuff, I have to work.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple: get a job that you like doing (most of the time).

Mark
Barnaby This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with full time work? Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
I know you'll probably lol as there will be those of you who have worked fulltime for the last 20+ years but fuck

Having worked in the same job for 24 years, I did lol.

Alpha-9 wrote:

This happened years ago.

Alpha-9 wrote:
But shiiiiiiiiit, we're expected to go on like this forever until we die?!

If we're lucky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make LOADSA money, then you don't have to work. Laughing

It aint called the daily grind for nothing.

I do agree with you though, it's thoroughly depressing when you work out how much time you waste working. Let's face it, any sane person wouldn't do it without pay. Laughing

Look at it this way, your employer wants to pay you the minimum amount, it thinks it can get away with, and extract from you the maximum amount of graft.
Ergo it's your responsibility to ensure that karma is restored and you do as little work as you think you can get away with, for the maximum amount of money.

Top tip, don't take your work home with you!
As soon as the clock hits 4:00pm, i'm off and out, couldn't give a flying fcuk if the building burnt down while I'm not in it.
I don't think about work until the next time I see my desk.

Don't do overtime, your time is far more precious than money.

Work is a none entity, AFAIC, it pays for the things I need and want, other than that I have very little interest in it.

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:30 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with full time work? Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

Dunno about others but as far as I'm concerned sanity is overrated. Go insane, and save your sanity for when you might actually need it.

(karma to the first person who can tell me what that's paraphrased from)

As for standing the grind; I have a notepad sat in front of me, with the progress of my savings. When it hits 2500 I'll be the proud owner of a mint condition CBF600 in shiney shiney black. Then I'm buggering off up country for a bit.

Helps to have some goals Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like your job and you get paid well for it then it isn't too difficult. Remove either of them and it's harder. Remove both and it's hell.

Disposable income helps. I'd hate to be grinding away at something I didn't like just to cover the bills. There has to be reward greater than just getting to do it all again tomorrow. As you say, work to live, not the other way round. It isn't a choice everyone gets though.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with full time work? Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
we get one day a week where we can get a decent night sleep and stay up as late as we want without having to worry about waking up early (saturdays)

Those of us with children don't even get that. Wink

Man up.

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think of the day the enormous interest bearing burden round my neck is removed. As soon as that happens I will be working part time as will the Mrs. Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday at work and an extended weekend of Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday will do for me.

scorps
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: , Reply with quote

Well we have a carrot called a bi annual bonus to keep us going, however for some reason the guy in charge of these is off today (payday) so not here to explain why none of us have received it. No doubt we will have a letter attached to our pay statment later today explaining why.

Aperf
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:15 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget,

https://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa5XcGMRsEGGz9GwuyaDPop0-cV2zwc14TtvNKdPjENLsQysSynSFFKm-7

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self employment plus as much of the work as possible for cashola.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider an 8 hour a day job luxury. When I was catering I was lucky to get a 10 hour day. Very lucky. 40 hour weeks? WTF are 40 hour weeks? Thats part time for a chef. Double the hours and you're touching what I used to do regularly. Funnily enough its what I had to do to be any good at my job.

Weekends off? If your lucky you'd get one day of the weekend off. But whole weekends off are a rareity as while the 9-5'ers are out partying its the chefs that supply the food.

Strange thing is though, I'd always have time to go out on my days off to get shopping, even go out on the bike.

Stop complaining and get on with it. Welcome to life. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Welcome to the machine. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

qb78 wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:
Welcome to the machine. Thumbs Up

Indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:41 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: How do you deal with full time work? Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

I want to be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What would you do with all the freeeeeee time?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite depressing when you sit and think about it.

I have often thought life in gerenal is backwards, you spend the best years of your life breaking your back(often to make some other cunt richer) to keep a roof over your head,food on your plate and have your heating on when you need it.

if your luck you have enough left over for 2 holidays a year and bit left over to do what ever you enjoy.

then when your free to enjoy whats left of life your old and knackered, and the way things are going we'll be even older and more knackered when that time comes.

unfortunately theres no real alternative, unless you pump out kids and scrounge of the state.

but that said i would rather be working and be able to afford the things i have or want, then have the time and no money to enjoy it because thats just as if not more soul destroying.

besides i mostly enjoy what i do for a living.

tbourner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love going to work, I don't earn a lot and have loads of debts so we struggle, but I enjoy my job and often work from home in evenings and weekends (don't get paid overtime).

It's true that there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do, and I really don't understand people who retire and then 'get bored' and end up going back to work! But I see work as part of my life which I enjoy, I see my work friends every day, have a laugh etc. just mix it in with all the other stuff in your life.

It's sleep I wish I didn't have to bother with.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't love my job, but I do like it. I work because I don't have the means to make or forage the things I want and need. The work, people I work with and the pay I receive make it an acceptable trade for my time and effort.

It's all down to what YOU think is an acceptable trade.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:06 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite what three or four generations of British have been inculcated to believe, there's no law of nature that says that world owes us a living, ever.

Most of the population of the planet understand that, and always have. We are simply breathtakingly spoiled in modern Europe. "Why should I work?" is a first world problem.

In essence, the welfare state has allowed and indeed encouraged many people to remain dependent all their lives, and the rest of us look at them waddling around in their tracksuits and bling and say "Heyyyy, wait a minute, why am I busting my nuts?"

The answer is really just this: it's the difference between being an adult, and remaining a child.

So man up and put in rather than taking out. Take personal responsibility for making one thing better today, and I guarantee that your balls will grow two sizes.

Bomberman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I don't particularly like my job, but hey - I don't live at my Mum's or in a shitty bedsit. I go home to my nice house full of my nice things.

I've always thought a three off four on balance would be perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by Bomberman on 13:21 - 29 Jun 2012; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cope with it very well, but that's easy when you grew up poor. I work long hours but I do enjoy many aspects of my job and I get free reign to do it how I like. I get paid well too which is a bonus. Only thing I really hate about it is the driving.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Last edited by Pete. on 13:38 - 29 Jun 2012; edited 1 time in total

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like your job, find one you do like.

If you don't like anything, tough shit, get on with it.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 29 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Despite what three or four generations of British have been inculcated to believe, there's no law of nature that says that world owes us a living, ever.

Most of the population of the planet understand that, and always have. We are simply breathtakingly spoiled in modern Europe. "Why should I work?" is a first world problem.

In essence, the welfare state has allowed and indeed encouraged many people to remain dependent all their lives, and the rest of us look at them waddling around in their tracksuits and bling and say "Heyyyy, wait a minute, why am I busting my nuts?"

The answer is really just this: it's the difference between being an adult, and remaining a child.

So man up and put in rather than taking out. Take personal responsibility for making one thing better today, and I guarantee that your balls will grow two sizes.

I understand this and have always worked from leaving school at 16, more or less

It's not that I think anyone owes me anything, I just really really want to escape the grind, or at least do something I enjoy doing

My jobs not bad, I'm living with my parents again though, probably where all the stress comes from, I think i'd take a lot more satisfaction in coming back to my house, dumping my shit wherever I feel like it and chilling at my own expense

Even if it does leave me with hardly any play-dough

And what would I do with all my free time if I had it and didn't have to work? Enjoy it. Go out, stay in. Need money to have fun though, gotta work to make money, naturally.

I hated being on the dole when I was. Really, really hated it. That's the way it should be though, people should not want to go there.

I thought this thread would invoke interesting responses and it has!

I come from a generation where most of us are lazy scroungers, we've been brought up on it. first thing my parents said when I mentioned moving out was to apply for council housing and benefits to support me, fuck that

I have no debts or credit cards and don't intend to get any.
I avoid stupid contracts wherever possible, other than insurance. People will probably say that's retarded as you need to build up a good credit rating, but the whole thing seems like a con to me.

I'll stick with renting, albeit a money pit. I don't think there will ever be a time when I want a house to live in for the rest of my life and paid off the mortgage. I don't even want to be in England. But I think that's 'grass is greener' mentality

Now i'm back on basic rate tax (FUUU-) i'm being raped by the tax man again until I get it back and get my tax code updated and i'm relatively short cashed -_-"

I try and take a step back from seeing things from the inside out and look outward onto myself
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12