Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

why my honda cbr 125 respol only hitting 55-60mph

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bikersupermot...
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:10 - 29 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
symonh2000 wrote:
A derestricted Aprilia RS125 [...]

...can't be ridden on a provisional license, and there's no reason to limit yourself to a CBR125 other than that you've got a provisional license.

Honestly, I don't know why "Yehbut, unrestricted 2-smoker" always pops up in these L threads. If you can ride that legally, you can ride something that goes better and costs less to buy, own and run.

iv had a full license for a long time and been thru a string bikes, had the cbr600rr when they 1st came out, then the 1000rr.

now i ride a super-moto'd crm250ar

why? - coz its a lot more fun, its waaaayyyyy lighter, its a 2S, i LUUUUUUVVVV the smoke and the smell of it, and im not as likely to lose my licence with it only having a top speed of around 90 ish.

the cbr1000rr was boring for me - yes was so easy and forgiving to ride my grandma cud ride it.

the rs125 and crm250s have a character that isnt included in a fast powerful sportbike.

its not all about bigger better faster. and my crm has ridden from devon to the isle of skye and back and not broke down - and the insurance is waaaaayyyy less than a sportbike.

i also have a kmx125 and i love it - its in perfect like new all original condition and i wudnt change either of these bikes for something "bigger better faster"

but each to their own - at least the choice is out there, but what suits one doesnt always suit another

bike camping / touring
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 29 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried fitting a red power band - should get about 70 out of it then.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:00 - 29 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenjaminP wrote:
if it makes you feel any better i can do 75 on my hona h100 sd wooohoo

Very much doubt it. Speedo must be seriously dodgy. 75mph would be over 10500rpm when peak power is at about 6500rpm.

Rogerborg wrote:
If you can ride that legally, you can ride something that goes better and costs less to buy, own and run.

True, but why put up with a boring 4 stroke just for a bit of top speed when you can have a fun 2 stroke.

symonh2000 wrote:

A derestricted Aprilia RS125 does 0-60mph in about 6 seconds, that is about the same as a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo. Which itself was the fastest accelerating FWD car ever when it was launched.

Probably 7 seconds realistically for an early one. Later ones have less power.

tahrey wrote:
(BTW here's a similar bit of reasoning for why there may be a lot of rather-less-than-15hp machines about; apparently the pre-EU learner limit in the UK was about 9kW, or 12hp...)

While true, the most common under 15hp sporty 125 now is the CBR125 which came out long after the learner limit changed from 9kW to 11kW.

tahrey wrote:
Hmmm, whaddya know, you might be on to something. Or at least coming close. There's a claimed 21kW output for that model by Aprilia themselves, and an unofficial listing says it weighs 126kg.

Depends on the model. 21kW is the claimed power for a late full power bike. Early ones had larger carbs, far better exhausts and were set up to take advantage of higher octane fuel so were more powerful (although at the time Aprilia didn't give claimed power outputs for 125s, following a major press hoo har in Italy in 1989 when the Gilera SP01 was launched and managed 107mph in a magazine road test). Early ones managed 28.5hp at the rear wheel in road tests.

The weight on the frame plate for my RS125 is 115kg dry (although but other figures for the same bike are up near 140kg, which will be a wet figure with a full tank of fuel, etc).

Using 115kg vs 125kg vs 140kg, will make a fair difference to power to weight ratio figures. Add in that most car figures will be a claimed crank figure.

All the best

Keith

chunk1189
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:20 - 01 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jamie,

I have a honda cbr myself and have faced the same speed drawbacks, from my experience and having to have work done i will give you a quick rundown of what will effect the speed on cbr 125, and pretty much all bikes in general.

Binding breaks, if you lift the bike from the ground and give the wheel a push forward or backward your looking for it to go round 360 degrees without any effort, if it does not then you have possibly dirty pistons that need a clean and the caliper cradle, also check for seals in there. also disc's can effect this.

Tyres, these will effect speed and handling (obviously) if they are to low in psi/tread you wear them out alot quicker thus impact performance, and speed.

Spark Plug, again this also effects the bikes performance both starting and speed, as a suggestion if you have not changed it get yourself an NKG Iridium IX Plug, they increase ignition and throttle response at a higher % than an average plug.

Air Filter, if it looks dirty and is none washable, replace it else wash only if washable, to test a faulty air filter if you think it may be the issue is to remove it and ride around the street corner to see if performance has improved, you can do this on a cbr 125 i have myself, just be mindful of any leaves or wrapper that could get sucked in.

Chain and Sprockets, these obviously effect speed as they turn the wheels, you will want a nice tight chain but enough to hold a bounce on the suspension, as if its to tight you can snap it simply by hitting a bump, if you are unsure ask a garage or proffesional to adjust it accordingly, also check the teeth on the sprockets make sure they are even and not worn down.

Valve Clearance, see this video for more information https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-zi-M4xgs plenty of tutorials on there you can do yourself, on a side note check the carb unless you have injection model, could possibly need a drain and clean.

those are the type of stuff that will effect speed and obviously you will need sufficient and correct oil in the bike and brake fluids ect, obviously i cant list everything because even body work and you're weight in general can effect speed and performance on a motorbike, but those are all the main stuff you will want to check, if you still find no speed improvement then could possibly be an underlying engine problem, i would also like to point out and i noticed it myself the actual clock on a honda cbr 125 is out by about 6-8 mph!

P.S, do not get a 2 stroke bike, you're 4 stroke will be around well after the 2 stroke has blown up...

Regards,
Andy
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chunk1189
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:24 - 01 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt aware it was a spelling competition...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:34 - 01 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iridium spark plugs and running with no air filter.

Please tell me you don't work in a garage Wink

To sort your post..

Brakes - Keep on top of them, remove and grease the pins.
Tyres - 29/31 psi front/rear.
Spark plug - standard one with proper gap.
Air filter - stock one, replace if dirty.
Chain - have 25mm movement and keep lubricated.
Valve clearances - Inlet 0.04 - 0.08, Exhaust 0.25 - 0.29. Check when cold.

Ignore him, a 2 stroke bike will last just as long as a 4 stroke, especially if you neglect the parts above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chunk1189
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:10 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its perfectly fine to run the bike with no air filter simply to test if there is an air filter problem but not all the time, no i dont work in a garage i never would either, as i clearly stated at the top of my post im just giving some tips and advice on my experiences and stuff i myself have had problems with since owning a cbr, again what is wrong with an iridium spark plug, they are better than just a standard plug in mine and many others opinions, again its personal choice, and yes a 2 stroke will not last longer than 4 stroke were this man is concerned since 2 strokes were designed for tracks/racing not general road use which is what hes after...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:39 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

chunk1189 wrote:
yes its perfectly fine to run the bike with no air filter simply to test if there is an air filter problem but not all the time, no i dont work in a garage i never would either, as i clearly stated at the top of my post im just giving some tips and advice on my experiences and stuff i myself have had problems with since owning a cbr, again what is wrong with an iridium spark plug, they are better than just a standard plug in mine and many others opinions, again its personal choice, and yes a 2 stroke will not last longer than 4 stroke were this man is concerned since 2 strokes were designed for tracks/racing not general road use which is what hes after...

Hi

Leaving the air filter off could cause you a major engine problem within seconds. All it takes is one reasonable size piece of debris being drawm in to wreck the bore. On the other hand with general increased wear from running without a filter it might well take hundreds or thousands of miles to kill the engine.

Iridium plug won't really do anything useful. Might last longer, but if you have enough of a spark to ignite the mixture at the right time you are not going to get anything extra from a different plug.

As to the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke issue, the CBR seems to kill its gearbox. And plenty of 2 strokes will last ages with no rebuild and no need to change the oil anything like so often, no need to adjust valves, etc. Personally I would prefer the 2 stroke for the higher performance and easier maintenance. CBR is slow enough that a 2 stroke in a VERY low state of tune could be as quick while needing far less maintenance and being cheaper to build.

All the best

Keith

leechy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikersupermoto wrote:
hi jamie

you can easily get 100mph+ out of a 125cc bike - just not yours.

if you want a fast 125 u need to get a 2 stroke bike - they are much more tunable than 4 strokes - need to be looked after more too.

sell your bike and get either an rs125 or an nsr125 if you want the sportbike look.

these are probably the fastest 125s you ll see in any number on uk roads.

or a cagiva mito mine pisses 65 in 3rd had just over 120 out of it aswell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:45 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

leechy wrote:

Maybe on the speedo, but that says more about how inaccurate the speedo is. Would need 40~45hp for that speed, rather than the high 20s a full power 125 will put out at the back wheel.

All the best

Keith

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:13 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

leechy wrote:

Rolling Eyes Course mate, my 50cc does 70 blud

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:24 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

leechy wrote:
cagiva mito mine pisses 65 in 3rd had just over 120 out of it aswell

Really?

leechy wrote:
my year 2000 mito after rideing for 20 minutes the engine starts losing revs to the point where i have to stop

Doesn't sound so 'fast' to me, matey Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

leechy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
leechy wrote:
cagiva mito mine pisses 65 in 3rd had just over 120 out of it aswell

Really?

leechy wrote:
my year 2000 mito after rideing for 20 minutes the engine starts losing revs to the point where i have to stop

Doesn't sound so 'fast' to me, matey Rolling Eyes
yeah blocked fuel filter is done now tho and if read through it you would of seen that its only just happened i aint had it for 2 days clever bollocks and a full power mito is over 33bhp

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:22 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

leechy wrote:
and a full power mito is over 33bhp

No. High 20s at the back wheel.

All the best

Keith

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
im trying to be 'economic' and ride changing at only 7k.

Da fuq? Laughing

Mine lived on the redline, don't think I ever got anything less than 95~100mpg. Fun bikes, but really do have to be revving hard to have any get up and go.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:23 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

leechy wrote:
a full power mito is over 33bhp

Top speed of a Cagiva is around 100mph.

You'll be lucky to get around 30hp at the crank, few more horses than the RS but still not enough to do over 110mph.

Stop being a fag Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the OP needs to do is get his bike fixed if he is an average size and weight rider. Late model CBR125's have been speed trap tested by magazines at a true 71.5mph on a flat runway. This is more than enough speed to get from a 13bhp 125cc motorbike, although having said that the CBR125 does probably lose out aerodynamically to better shaped sports 125's.

Back in the 90's when I was 17, the original model TZR125 when fully faired could just about do 75mph in favourable conditions and that was with only 12bhp.

Looking at it positively the CBR will be 8-10mph faster in any given situation than a basic commuter 125 like the CG or YBR.

p.s It made me smile that someone was trying to make an RS125 sound more credible by comparing it to the fastest accelerating fwd car of the 1990's, when it needs no bigging up, as people know that early 90's Italian 125's are historically comparative rocket ships to most 125 tackle.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:39 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:

You'll be lucky to get around 30hp at the crank, few more horses than the RS but still not enough to do over 110mph.

Older more powerful RS and Mito were pretty much neck and neck. Mito has a slight advantage due to the 7 speed gearbox and being able to have a higher top and lower first gear. But even then the difference in top speed is so minimal that the wearing a lose jacket would make a bigger difference that choosing a one bike or the other.

All the best

Keith

leechy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 03 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok what eva thats just your opinion which aint based on fact neaxt you will be telling me that grizzly adams had a beard! fact cagiva mitos in full power put out a estimated 37bhp according to cagiva which im pretty sure there gna know more than yourselfs and theres mitos on youtube doing 200kmh wich correct me if im wrong but thats 120ish and and the seventh gear dont mean shit its a cruiseing gear there no faster than the 6 speed fact 2 its a legal requirement that speedos have to be accurate whithin a couple of mph oh and where did you do you dyno tests then use probly nether been on a mito let alone seen 1

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:10 - 03 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

leechy wrote:
ok what eva thats just your opinion which aint based on fact neaxt you will be telling me that grizzly adams had a beard! fact cagiva mitos in full power put out a estimated 37bhp according to cagiva which im pretty sure there gna know more than yourselfs and theres mitos on youtube doing 200kmh wich correct me if im wrong but thats 120ish and and the seventh gear dont mean shit its a cruiseing gear there no faster than the 6 speed fact 2 its a legal requirement that speedos have to be accurate whithin a couple of mph oh and where did you do you dyno tests then use probly nether been on a mito let alone seen 1

They quote 31.

They might indicate 200, but thats the same as my GSXR indicating 185...it never did that. It couldn't.

Never ridden a Mito, but I've had a full power RS that nudged 100mph indicated. Unfortunately your lack of english makes it hard to understand most of that but you see the guy above you... Yeah, he probably knows what your piston rings are made out of down to the last atom.

Unlike you, he knows a lot.

Quote:
Performance

Maximum Power:
Evolution - 24.5 kW (33 hp) @12,000 rpm[7]
Mito SP 525 ('09) - 18 kW (24 hp) @12,000 rpm[7]
Maximum Torque: 15 lb·ft (20 N·m)
Top Speed: 105 mph (169 km/h)
0–60 mph (0–97 km/h): 6 seconds approx.

Still slower than my old car, and more than double the time of my bike up to 60 Thumbs Up

leechy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 03 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make Model
Cagiva Mito 125
Year
2000-01
Engine
Liquid cooled, read valve, two stoke single cylinder, electric power valve
Capacity
Bore x Stroke 56 x 50.6 mm
Compression Ratio 6.3:1
Induction
Dell'Orto carb
Ignition / Starting
CDI / electric
Max Power
34 hp 24.8 kW @ 12000 rpm
Max Torque
23 Nm @ 11000 rpm
Transmission / Drive
6 Speed / chain
Front Suspension
40mm Marzocchi telescopic forks, 120mm wheel travel.
Rear Suspension
Monoshock, 133mm wheel travel.
Front Brakes
Single 320mm disc 4 piston caliper
Rear Brakes
Single 230mm disc 2 piston caliper
Front Tyre
110/70 ZR17
Rear Tyre
150/60 ZR17
Dry-Weight
129 kg
Fuel Capacity
12.5 Litres
Consumption average
20.1 km/lit
Braking 60 - 0 / 100 - 0
12.9 m / 36.4 m
Standing ¼ Mile
14.2 sec / 149.3 km/h
Top Speed
172.3 km/h
Review Motor freaks
Manual diff.ru:8000/Cagiva_Mito_125_Repair_Manual.zip
blackbears.ru/manual/files/Cagiva_Mito_125_Repair_Manual.zip

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:23 - 03 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

So about 33hp, 174kmh which is 108 (note my 110 mark above)

Well.

Done.

Chap.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:31 - 03 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

leechy wrote:
fact cagiva mitos in full power put out a estimated 37bhp according to cagiva which im pretty sure there gna know more than yourselfs

Not a hope, and Cagiva claimed nothing like that much (even if you can find a claim from Cagiva, as the Italians stopped claiming power and performance figures for 125s around 1990).

leechy wrote:
and theres mitos on youtube doing 200kmh wich correct me if im wrong but thats 120ish

Sppedos are well out. For production they can be 10%+8kmh out, and you can add tyre wear, etc, to that even if you assume they are within the required limits.

Gearing wise 11500rpm in top gear on a 6 speed Mito running 14:41 gearing (standard) is about 107mph, and that is 1500rpm past peak power and using what appears to be the highest stock gearing used on Mitos.

leechy wrote:
and and the seventh gear dont mean shit its a cruiseing gear there no faster than the 6 speed

Means you can gear a cruising gear and have a low first without having stupidly wide ratios. The RS suffers as top is limiting on top speed while first is too high for a quick getaway (and a nightmare with a pillion for a hill start). While I have had 115mph on the speedo of an RS125, that is 750 into the red line in top, that is likely having the speedo over read by at least 10mph.

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:47 - 03 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

leechy wrote:

Top Speed
172.3 km/h

blackbears.ru/manual/files/Cagiva_Mito_125_Repair_Manual.zip

Those figures are not from Cagiva. And if you download the manual that was linked to from the motorcyclespecs.co.za page you quoted you will see Cagiva claimed 96.1mph (154.76kmh).

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9