sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

.2k id buy a honda varadero Very Happy

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 20 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

.2k id buy a honda varadero Very Happy
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

BusySam
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:34 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he really wants me to buy one.. Laughing

Cheers for that post Mike, I see the benefits of it. But I see myself as a sensible rider and it obviously isn't a good thing for me. I can't wait to move up to a bigger bike however I'm not going to be an idiot on one

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:33 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusySam wrote:
Ahh right! Seems a bit strange all these news laws coming in.. What's it all about any idea?

Comes from the same people that took 2 years of expense-account conferences to decide that water doesn't hydrate you.

Well meaning power crazed retards, or malicious power crazed sadists, I really can't tell the difference.

Anyway, what they all said, and bear in mind how busy test centres are going to get. Cash in hand, go and buy the first good condition Japanese branded commuter or "sports" commuter 3 year old bike with a year's MOT, and get on with it.

BusySam
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:52 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna look at some YBRS, what are CBF/CBRs like, does anyone know?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:54 - 21 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusySam wrote:
Gonna look at some YBRS, what are CBF/CBRs like, does anyone know?

First, the CBF is nothing like a CBR.

The CBF "Stunner" is made by Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India Plc. It's an ~8kW air cooled 5-speed disk-drum twin shock commuter designed and built to a strict budget[1] with a few known quality control issues. It's extremely economical, with real world claims in excess of 120mpg.

The CBR125R is made in Thailand. It's a ~10kW water cooled 6-speed disk-disk monoshock. It's very small, but fun to ride and IMO likely to suffer from fewer issues.

You pays your money, you takes your choice, and your chances. If you like the CBR, get one, they're perfectly decent bikes and hold their value well. The same money will get you a much newer YBR or CBF. The CBF is more modern, the YBR more tried-and-tested.

I don't think there's a bad choice out of those three, just get the right bike (year's MOT, well looked after, no existing issues) and you should be fine.

[1] We get the same bike as Johnny Indiafellow buys for ten Rupees and his ninth-born daughter.

SenReality
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:30 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see why people are putting down the WK Sport 125 this much, I've had a CBR125 and of course I loved it for a commuting bike but got bored, brought a WK Sport 125 myself! due to a friend having one, it looks nice, and despite what people keep saying? done 27k miles on it and not a single thing has gone wrong, okay ... I did accidently put a tiny bit of diesel in it thanks to a jerry can that I thought was entirely empty, but ... guess not, so it had abit of diesel in the mix. Despite the bike not liking that at all and sounding rather bad for a few days, it toughed it out and ran fine. Not a single bolt nor nut has come loose, and hell all I replaced was the crappy bulbs! ( I've got a 2012 Black one with the 2011 analog gauges, as the LCD gauges utterly SUCK balls, thank god for friendly dealers, when I ordered mine and it came in as a box of parts, they happily replaced the LCD screen with the analog gauges!)

Anyhow, as for parts? easy to get and cheap to get! I have an entire bodykit I guess, repainting it to whatnaught ( Okay I did take some liberties with the fairings and made them a tad bit longer to hide the frame bar.)

Other than my own customizations, like scorpion exhaust system, good tyres ( stock tyres are actually pretty decent ) its running perfectly fine, no problems at all!

But mine in a few months will look entirely different ( I have a full licence, so yea I have a GSXR600, Derbi GPR 125 racing and an Aprilia RS4 125 sitting right next to it. )

HOWEVER it all depends on you, what kind of budget do you have and so forth! as for cash wise? I got my WK Sport 125 2012 for £1,795. So if you look hard enough you can find a new WK Sport 125 for a good cheap price, and the parts themselves? I brought the full cosmetic kit, the fairings an so forth - for a grand total of ... *drum roll* £600 for all of it! if your worried knocking it about? dont worry, if you've cracked a fairing? replace it? a single fairing costs around £90-100!

Anyhow, its truly entirely upto you - I personally ADORE my WK Sport 125, while being a rather big bike for a 125 and unlike what others are saying up there whom may have never ridden the bike itself, it can easily top out at 90mph! and no not a faulty sensor, me and my boyfriend have tested such, a GSXR600 steady at 90mph on an abandoned military runway, right alongside a WK Sport 125 ... not steadily at 90mph ... more like caining the engine to just stay at 90mph.

Still, if your a learner ... you'll not be going anywhere near 90mph! trust me, especially if you live in the UK - our police LOVE to keep a firm eye on the learner plates!

But, just go with whatever your heart desires, even if you have people saying get this bike or this bike, its all upto you - get what YOU like and what YOU feel that YOU would ENJOY. Not just because someone stated that since your a learner you have to get this and that.

SenSen out!

smarjoram
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 04:19 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a YBR or CG, I got my 2011 YBR for £1600 with over a years warranty left on it. I was tempted by the nicer looking chinese bikes but i wanted something reliable and easy to get parts for. Also it will hold a decent resale value..

YBR's are very popular so you should have no trouble finding plenty around, an older one for 1K or less possibly. I can get 65-70mph on mine too (10st, 6ft) if speed is of concern.

Ebay has every part you could dream of too, especially if its a slightly older YBR.

Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:33 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SenReality wrote:
done 27k miles on it

So it's showing 43k on the odometer?

27,000 "miles" would be 100 miles a day, 6 days a week, every week, from 1st January 2012 until today.

SenReality wrote:
it can easily top out at 90mph!

Wow, that's incredible. Literally so, considering that every other bike that makes a real 90mph needs 20+ bhp to do so, not the 11bhp that your commuter engined bike claims.

So, you've paid £1800 + £600 + scorpion (£200?) plus tyres (£150?) plus paintwork = £2750 or thereabouts (plus "whatnot" for painting). Comfortably more than a CBF125, for example.

How much do you reckon that "WK" badge will be worth when you sell it?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this late in the year, given the new test rules coming in to effect after Jan 19h 2013 and as you have experience on the road with your 50cc, you would be better spending your money on a DAS course.

SenReality
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:34 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
SenReality wrote:
done 27k miles on it

So it's showing 43k on the odometer?

27,000 "miles" would be 100 miles a day, 6 days a week, every week, from 1st January 2012 until today.

SenReality wrote:
it can easily top out at 90mph!

Wow, that's incredible. Literally so, considering that every other bike that makes a real 90mph needs 20+ bhp to do so, not the 11bhp that your commuter engined bike claims.

So, you've paid £1800 + £600 + scorpion (£200?) plus tyres (£150?) plus paintwork = £2750 or thereabouts (plus "whatnot" for painting). Comfortably more than a CBF125, for example.

How much do you reckon that "WK" badge will be worth when you sell it?

Uhm, no where near, all I spent was 1800 on the bike and 600 for the bodykit. Scorpion was free, tyres free, paintwork free ... considering I have alot of scorp exhausts sitting around, alot of different new tyres sitting around and oh! ... I run a spray shop! yey for life!

as for how the WK manages to reach 90MPH? by being on a very long stretch of runway and otherwise belting the engine to the point of having to service it myself, you'd be amazed what kind of speeds these little engines can chuck out if you just work with it for abit, no extra cost - just know-how. But again its a budget learner bike, and a good one at that - while not as good as the four big names, still good if one doesn't want to spend 1700-1900 on a used bike.

Now Rogerborg, if you dislike the brand itself - good for you, have fun! and whoever said I'd sell this WK? as for its PX price? 1100-1400 depending if your north or south.

SenSen out!

illuminateTHE...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf a wk125... if your foolish enough to by a 125cc brand especially as its Chinese then you could get some lessons/test done within 2-3months.

But if much rather stick with a 125cc for two years get yourself a 2nd hand yamaha yzf r125. You could easily get one for £2300. Also these machines are so much more reliable compared to your rs so they can pass through numerous owners and still run fantastic.

Last edited by illuminateTHEmind on 12:23 - 28 Oct 2012; edited 1 time in total

Turkish
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:40 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SenReality wrote:
you'd be amazed what kind of speeds these little engines can chuck out if you just work with it for abit, no extra cost - just know-how.

There's your problem Roger. No patience and no know-how. Wink

Seriously OP, do not buy a Chinese bike. They are constructed, quite notoriously, out of a material only found in the far-east known as 'Shitanium'. The thing will fall apart before your eyes.

Personally, due to things I've read on here, I would probably avoid the CBF. Fuel pump issues along with questionable longevity (cosmetically) in British weather.

CG or YBR is your best bet, or a CBR is you fancy something faired. Be aware though, that the latter is quite small as Roger said. If you're over 5' 6 I would seriously consider test riding one before buying.

Good luck.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:08 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SenReality wrote:
Uhm, no where near, all I spent was 1800 on the bike and 600 for the bodykit.

So, 'Only' £100 more than a brand new YBR125, then? About as much as a second hand YZF-R125.......

And you have applied all your toooning skilz to it to achieve, oh..... about as much performance as a CBR or R125 has as stock.....

Be interesting what you would have achieved applying your skills to one of them. However I have suspicion that results would be rather less spectacular. These chinky engines offer very big % gains for very little real know how by dint of simply having been de-tuned in the first place, and put together without much care or attention.

But end of the day.... if if it makes you happy, its your money, and your bike I guess, but I DON'T think that this is any 'advert' for the brand, or clue to some fantastic biking secret.

But I hope that you didn't waste that time money or effort before getting a full bike licence.... Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:45 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SenReality wrote:
Scorpion was free, tyres free, paintwork free

Bully for you, but anyone else would have to pay for them, so will have to factor them into the price.

SenReality wrote:
as for how the WK manages to reach 90MPH?

Aerodynamics?

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c48.0.403.403/p403x403/539256_415482825182535_452211095_n.jpg

SenReality wrote:
if you just work with it for abit, no extra cost - just know-how.

We're sitting comfortably...

SenReality wrote:
Now Rogerborg, if you dislike the brand itself - good for you, have fun!

I'm not interested in the brand, since it's irrelevant (except for resale value). "WK" is no more meaningful than "Lexmoto". It'll be a Chongqing Ching Chong or similar.

Had a look at my .sig? I'm hardly a brand snob, and I agree that Chinese fake-aways can be decent learner bikes. But let's please evaluate them honestly.

SenReality wrote:
as for its PX price? 1100-1400 depending if your north or south.

Gratz, you've lost £1500 in under a year.

Speaking of which, are you really claiming that you've averaged 90 miles a day, every single day that you've had it?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:01 - 29 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WK sport does 70mph at a very solid push.

Lol, you have a GSXR600, then 2 gash 125s sitting next to it... of course you do Wink

It is a pointless spunk on cash...to get 27k on it...you must ride day and night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mickster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:10 - 27 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

blito wrote:
The Scopion exhaust is actually being offered as a free upgrade atm. Well worth it too Smile
The WK feels pretty good when you sit on it in the showroom - its big and feels pretty solid but alas I cant tell you what it is to ride as I don't know anyone who owns one. There are a couple of tests of these bikes online if you google it. They seem to get rated as alright-but-not-as-quick-as-you'd-think.
They are Chinese built and so have that element of risk about them - spares availabilty could be a problem if the recession were to claim the importer and the general feeling around here is that being chinese it is going need those spares at some point!
My Verdict - Looks great in the showroom but lets see if its still intact in 3 years time. Possibly a 3 year old CBR would be a better buy in the long run if you can find one!

It's tiawanese not chinese, WK have a uk base which I believe is in peterborough. I have a 2011 WK125 sport and have only had 1 problem which was the side stand sensor (easily solved by taking it off and binning it because side stand sensors are a pain in the rear anyway) Dont expect great speed or great anything for the price (you get what you pay for) The scorpion exhaust is £299 for the 125 sport, not a free upgrade. All in all its a decent bike for the price, my last bike was a 2006 cbr and to be honest I prefer the WK. It looks a lot bigger than a 125 and feels safer due to the size/weight and the tyre width which is about twice as wide as the cbr's skinny tyres. Top speed with standard exhaust is around 65 and a claimed 90 with the scorpion exhaust, handles reasonably well, id recommend it as a cheap first 125 (I got mine for £1575 on a 62 plate because it was last years model....BARGAIN!)

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:14 - 27 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't do 90.

70 maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 27 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the unwritten rule of the BCF new bikers forum that the only bikes your allowed to buy are CBRs YBRs and CGs, and only second hand ones. If you do buy one (second hand of course) you have to have bought it for half the usual price as well.

Mickster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:26 - 27 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
I think this late in the year, given the new test rules coming in to effect after Jan 19h 2013 and as you have experience on the road with your 50cc, you would be better spending your money on a DAS course.

Yes pay for your full test..... and fail! Top way to spend cash

Mickster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:29 - 27 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
It won't do 90.

70 maybe.

MCN tester got 75 out of it without topping so its a bit more than 70 eh?[/u]

Mickster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:31 - 27 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Its the unwritten rule of the BCF new bikers forum that the only bikes your allowed to buy are CBRs YBRs and CGs, and only second hand ones. If you do buy one (second hand of course) you have to have bought it for half the usual price as well.

So true, and also you have to like the same bike as everyone else and dont dare to have an opinion that differs from the norm

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:36 - 27 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickster wrote:
##Paddy## wrote:
It won't do 90.

70 maybe.

MCN tester got 75 out of it without topping so its a bit more than 70 eh?

Well put it this way, my 125 is bang on the limit for learners, I get an indicated 80 out of it. I max it out.

There is no chance a 14hp single will do over 70, they might indicate it, but it is impossible unless you are going down a hill.

Bikermice
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 28 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
BusySam wrote:
Ahh right! Seems a bit strange all these news laws coming in.. What's it all about any idea?

I disagree with motorbike laws entirely. 17 = pass car test and can then get in a 1000BHP 2 ton car and drive it with little experience. But a bike, which if you crash are more likely to kill yourself rather than anyone else, do 54 tests and are limited to 4BHP for 9 years. Yeah that's fair, I wonder if it's because cars use 8x more petrol and so bring in more revenue for the government?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3