Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motad exhausts on forum

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 26 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
motad_uk wrote:
Will we make noisy exhausts?- NEVER- Motorcycle noise is the biggest trigger to the eurocrats and idiots in Brussels.
I'm sorry, and I see your point but you're wrong on that snippet.

Not everyone appreciates having their eardrums blasted away but bikes with actual noise save lives.

It is that simple.. SMIDSY's would be far greater in numbers with silent bikes.

You're right, there is a fine line but if you can help in making exhausts make a bike sound a touch more 'nice' then you should. Thumbs Up Karma

You need to understand the difference between noisy and loud. You can get the latter without the former, but not the other way round.

motad_uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:30 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

we maximise noise inside the limit- and by focusing on the bass end of the scale (which the human ear reacts better to) we can make the exhaust sound better
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

motad_uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:47 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
My Venom exhaust was fairly loud for a 125. How can you make fairly loud cans for that but not others? Just wondering.

perhaps I am doing Motad down here- we make exhausts that sound better and can be louder than stock and still legal- your exhaust is a good example

what I am talking about us not doing is the really offensive loud stuff- which so often seems to be used by riders who close the throtle at the first corner anyway!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motadman,

I thought the legal limit was simply "no louder than stock"?

Is there actually a legal limit? If so, what is it?

Cheers

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:06 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

motad_uk wrote:
what I am talking about us not doing is the really offensive loud stuff- which so often seems to be used by riders who close the throttle at the first corner anyway!

Nice generalisation there kind sir.

I like loud, loads of people like it loud.

Ever wonder why people like SP Engineering are getting so much business? Offering decent quality stubby cans in carbon with removeable baffles for those who like to make a racket? Laughing

You need to stop thinking about the silly legal stuff, print a few "race use only" bits on your louder cans, sell various custom length ones and made to order etc, discount on the headers should they request one etc.

People do not buy bikes to be quiet, unless they have a 125 or they are old and ride those dodgy barge like tourers. Thumbs Up Most people enjoy something a little fruity. I just like it balls out loud, couldn't give a piss what anyone else says about it. Laughing

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 10:43 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Loud stuff..

Loud is good. Very good!

motad_uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:47 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
Motadman,

I thought the legal limit was simply "no louder than stock"?

Is there actually a legal limit? If so, what is it?

Cheers

the limit varies from bike to bike according to the age and size of the bike - there is an allowance to allow for measurement variations/ tolerances and we make sure we use every part of it to maximise the sound

I think mopeds and scooters have been the biggest cause of the (crazy) eu regulations- the Eurocrat is sat on holiday in his subsidised villa on the Costas- and is kept awake by the modified peds flying up and down all night- whuch way does he vote when the next crazy regulation comes in?

motad_uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:52 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
motad_uk wrote:
what I am talking about us not doing is the really offensive loud stuff- which so often seems to be used by riders who close the throttle at the first corner anyway!

Nice generalisation there kind sir.

I like loud, loads of people like it loud.

Ever wonder why people like SP Engineering are getting so much business? Offering decent quality stubby cans in carbon with removeable baffles for those who like to make a racket? Laughing

You need to stop thinking about the silly legal stuff, print a few "race use only" bits on your louder cans, sell various custom length ones and made to order etc, discount on the headers should they request one etc.

People do not buy bikes to be quiet, unless they have a 125 or they are old and ride those dodgy barge like tourers. Thumbs Up Most people enjoy something a little fruity. I just like it balls out loud, couldn't give a piss what anyone else says about it. Laughing

I accept that by just supplying the part of the market that wants road legal stuff we are losing some sales of noisy stuff (although as seen above our Venoms sound good)- I have ridden for 40 years and along with the other boring old fa*ts we are after the rider who wants to go out and enjoy the ride without looking over their shoulder or fretting about being stopped and excess noise being another item on the ticket

as you say- there is lots of choice of loud and leary stuff from others if you want to upset your neighbours!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:59 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been issued a fine of any sort for having a loud can... and I take the piss.

https://super-user.co.uk/image11.png

That is hollow and empty. Nothing said about it.

https://yesterdaystheory.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/TT600R2.jpg

The exhaust on that was a completely unbaffled straight through can that was impossible to shout over.

The CBR has a Devil can, which being bimbled around is still meaty, but you open it up, its deafening.

Even my old car was loud... but that had a huge pipe. Trust me, offering an alternative in some different setups is a good way to get sales. For example, if I asked you for a 1 off race set up for my CBR, full headers, link pipe and a twin exit underseat exhaust... with minimal noise, would you make it, blank cheque..?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:13 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
I have never been issued a fine of any sort for having a loud can... and I take the piss.

I can see both sides - I do like a loud can. But I also appreciate that it gives good ammunition to the NIMBYs - often the people that do manage to make real negative change for everyone.

For 'fun riding', I'd generally prefer not to be silly-loud - there's plenty of people that I'd not like to advice that I'm "making progress" too.

However, for commuting and in-town riding when the environments generally loud, I have found it does make me noticeably more 'visible'.

steady eddie
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:
Not got any decent photos, but here is the men at Motad designing an exhaust for a Yamaha TTR 250 - the bike is a guinea pig from the TTR club. The end result was a lovely exhaust, which a good weight saving over standard, slight power gain, and rust proof (unlike the OEM ones) - they're a bloody good price aswell!

https://i.imgur.com/uGIryJS.jpg

Ha ha. I love that pic. I dunno why but I imagined the factory to be a lot flasher. That looks like my garage Laughing

I was after some stainless down pipes for my Thundercat a few years back, but couldn't justify the £280 ish on a £700 bike. But then you made some cheaper ones, £140 I think they were, in a milder steel. And for that I thank you! They fitted straight on and still looked good 3 winters later when I sold it Thumbs Up

motad_uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:23 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

steady eddie wrote:
truslack wrote:
Not got any decent photos, but here is the men at Motad designing an exhaust for a Yamaha TTR 250 - the bike is a guinea pig from the TTR club. The end result was a lovely exhaust, which a good weight saving over standard, slight power gain, and rust proof (unlike the OEM ones) - they're a bloody good price aswell!

https://i.imgur.com/uGIryJS.jpg

Ha ha. I love that pic. I dunno why but I imagined the factory to be a lot flasher. That looks like my garage Laughing

I was after some stainless down pipes for my Thundercat a few years back, but couldn't justify the £280 ish on a £700 bike. But then you made some cheaper ones, £140 I think they were, in a milder steel. And for that I thank you! They fitted straight on and still looked good 3 winters later when I sold it Thumbs Up

You are paying for an exhaust- not a flash building!- I have visited most of our competitors over the years and it is the flash ones which are generally out of business and the "down to earth ones" which are still trading

the cheaper exhaust we sold you was 304 stainless- the cost is in the manufacture- its not worth cutting the material quality

motad_uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:27 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:

https://super-user.co.uk/image11.png

That is hollow and empty. Nothing said about it.

https://yesterdaystheory.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/TT600R2.jpg

The exhaust on that was a completely unbaffled straight through can that was impossible to shout over.

The CBR has a Devil can, which being bimbled around is still meaty, but you open it up, its deafening.

Even my old car was loud... but that had a huge pipe. Trust me, offering an alternative in some different setups is a good way to get sales. For example, if I asked you for a 1 off race set up for my CBR, full headers, link pipe and a twin exit underseat exhaust... with minimal noise, would you make it, blank cheque..?

of course we would!- but as i am sure you know, cans are easy but pipework development is much more involved and we could be looking at 2-3 weeks or development and testing

the crazy fact is that there is much more testing and control on the race track than on the road!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:29 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would a rough price be on that? Surely your standard pipes should be far more flexible than the stock ones? Would you consider any other materials other than SS?

motad_uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:32 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
What would a rough price be on that? Surely your standard pipes should be far more flexible than the stock ones? Would you consider any other materials other than SS?

please email me on ianmcdonald@motad.co.uk- the forum is not the place to discuss quotations or be selling
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

motad_uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:20 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

the carbon end cap can has been deleted from the range

email me on ianmcdonald@motad.co.uk and I will see if I can find you one (dont sell the parts separately- sorry)

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ER5 I bought is fitted with a Nexxus end can, which even with the baffle in is obnoxiously loud.

Do you have any advice or other baffles that can bring the noise down to something more normal?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:59 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
The ER5 I bought is fitted with a Nexxus end can, which even with the baffle in is obnoxiously loud.

Do you have any advice or other baffles that can bring the noise down to something more normal?

Are you sure its a Motad, I've never heard a loud one Laughing

motad_uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:47 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
PhilDawson8270 wrote:

Are you sure its a Motad, I've never heard a loud one Laughing

Motad says:

It sounds from your description that the baffle is removable- it is not a Motad or Nexxus unless someone has modified it- we only have removeable baffles on our Venom

I have seen a few where riders have smashed through the baffles to make more noise (missing the fact that they will reduce power)

A day where I cant win!- half of you saying its too quiet and the other half saying its too noisy!!

send me a photo and I will tell you what exhaust your really have

ianmcdonald@motad.co.uk

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will get you model and numbers from it when I get chance.

It wouldn't bother me, if I didn't have to come home from work at 3am annoying the neighbours

Edit: It's not even a motad exhaust Embarassed just had a similar style font on it than what Motad use.

balls Sad

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:40 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Quiet exhausts are made by pussy faggots with more concern for profit than moral fortitude.

Fuck you Motad. Middle Finger Laughing

"ooh, ooh...is we contravening any rules and regulations...?"

Once again one must ask where the hell you get your seen of logic from. There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking a loud or a quiet exhaust. Actually if you want to apply logic and reason to it exhausts are there to attenuate the noise from the engine so they are doing their job Wink

I think there has to be a limit as to how loud cans can be. It is all nice and good for those riding with the loud exhausts, but it might not be so good for the people they wake up at 3:00am with them.

I know you like to have an anarcheist view to everything and that you should not give two fucks and do as you please. However that view can be shared by the other party and decide to burn your bike as it would be their right to do so (under anarchy that's is) Wink

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajag wrote:

Actually if you want to apply logic and reason to it exhausts are there to attenuate the noise from the engine so they are doing their job Wink

Actuallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, The silencer is there to attenuate noise, the exhaust is to efficiently vent the exhaust gasses away from the user and to the atmosphere.

So by your logic, if there was no silencer on there, the exhaust is still doing it's job Wink

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:23 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:

Actuallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, The silencer is there to attenuate noise, the exhaust is to efficiently vent the exhaust gasses away from the user and to the atmosphere.

So by your logic, if there was no silencer on there, the exhaust is still doing it's job Wink

Very true, I stand corrected

Notj7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:31 - 02 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Motad in Walsall today to have my new system fitted properly. 240 ish mile round trip, I'm nackered!

I had a brew and the owner showed me around the factory. It was interesting and the system they put on was fitted well.

The owner went above and beyond what 'typical' companies do, and it's this that sets them apart from the rest - sticking to their reputation - which really makes the difference in today's world.

As a result, I'd have no hesitation in recommending Motad to friends in the future Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8