Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha YBR 125 check engine light comes on at speed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dublinclontar...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:52 - 02 Jul 2013    Post subject: Yamaha YBR 125 check engine light comes on at speed Reply with quote

I've got a standard 2010 (FI, 12k on the clock) model YBR 125, recently just replace the rear brakes chain n sprockets, gotten a battery charger, cleaned the air filter and spray painted the exhaust pipe.

This is my first bike and I'm probably a sap for doing this Embarassed but I use premium petrol and fully synthetic oil (changed 250 miles ago, nothing but the best for my little girl).

Commute 70 miles a day(35 each way) and this evening the check engine light would come on anytime I went over 60 on the speedo when typically I'd get up to 75 before "the beast" ran out of grunt.

The light wasn't flashing, i.e. staying on until I let off on the throttle a good bit to bring the speed back down.

Any ideas what the cause might be as I've not got a clue Laughing

dublinclontar...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:16 - 02 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that the light also comes on after starting the bike, but goes away after a minute when I drive.

ficedula
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:38 - 02 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goes away after a minute?

Normally, it'd come on when you put the ignition on, then go off about 2 seconds later.

Obvious checks first: have you checked the oil level (and done it on an actually level surface)? How about the battery - you say you've got a charger, but have you checked the voltage?

A dodgy battery could make the ECU go a bit squiffy, so it's worth ruling out. Hooking it up to a charger regularly might keep it starting, but won't necessarily make it 'good as new'.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:40 - 02 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your oil level before you ride the bike again.

gavbriggs
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea really but is there a separate oil light? If not it could well be level or pressure?

Older cars used to have the oil light on for a brief period until pressure built up and this was normal.

Maybe a loose connector?

dublinclontar...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:04 - 02 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal operation for this bike is for the check engine light to turn on for a couple of seconds after turning the key.

You should hear the FI working, light turns off, then hit the electric start and the engine starts.

This happens but the check engine light will remain on after starting for one or two minutes if I ride the bike right away or splutter out after 2-3 minutes if left idle.

I've checked the oil on a level surface, it's at 90% full (i.e. about 10% below max)

Battery charger reads that the battery is at 13+volts and switches to maintain (as opposed to full charge) right away.

I'm going to take the seat off and check for loose wires.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 02 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what I'm talking about, but garage dude told me to not use fully synth oil in YBR.

Not just because it's a waste of cash, but "can create clutch slip" and "get past oil seals".

I know nothing.

dublinclontar...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:01 - 03 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed all the panels, seat to have a look at all the wiring.

Poked around a little but didn't find anything that looked like a loose wire, after putting it all back on I started it up, and wouldn't you know the check engine light didn't come on.

On my way into work this morning as well, blasting up the A13 at top speed (a blistering 80 on the clock which is...probably about 65 in real life), the light remained off.

Either I accidentally disconnected the check engine light or knocked a loose wire back in place but either way it's "fixed" Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:50 - 03 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it comes on again, put a bit of electrical tape over it. Protip.

Well, you're not actually going to check the engine, and the oil is OK, so why not?

Dave M
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:36 - 03 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me I would take it to a dealer Shocked yes a dealer to do a diagnostics check on it just in case there IS something niggling away that could end up being a more expensive job? I think it cost less than £30 to have this check done but make sure your with the mechanic when he's doing it in case he tries to pull a fast one on you!!! Use a semi synthetic oil of 10W40.

YBR Ric
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:03 - 03 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an oil change using fully synthetic which was left over from my other bike - the YBR just drank it between oil changes.
I went back to semi and not needed a drop between oil changes ever since.

Never suffered clutch slip or any other cr&p/old wives tales associated with using [synthetic] motorcycle oil in a motorcycle engine,
just the effects of the oil pixie coming out of from underneath her mushroom at night and stealing some of it.

Just to clarify; engine check light is orange, oil check light is red.
Which colour is being illuminated?

dublinclontar...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:22 - 03 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR Ric wrote:
I did an oil change using fully synthetic which was left over from my other bike - the YBR just drank it between oil changes.
I went back to semi and not needed a drop between oil changes ever since.

Never suffered clutch slip or any other cr&p/old wives tales associated with using [synthetic] motorcycle oil in a motorcycle engine,
just the effects of the oil pixie coming out of from underneath her mushroom at night and stealing some of it.

Just to clarify; engine check light is orange, oil check light is red.
Which colour is being illuminated?

It WAS showing orange, but as I've said it's stopped. Was going full speed most of the way back home, no issues at all. I'll probably take it to a dealer to check in a week, I've got plans that will have me tied up.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 04 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you 'tinkered' with anything, ratios etc?

75 on a YBR is....impressive, they top out generally at 65 and that's with a tail wind.

ficedula
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 04 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't too difficult to get my YBR125 to indicate 75, given a (very) long enough run up and a flat road.

I'm fairly sure it wasn't doing much over 65 in reality, but the speedo certainly went up to 75.

dublinclontar...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:07 - 05 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ficedula wrote:
It wasn't too difficult to get my YBR125 to indicate 75, given a (very) long enough run up and a flat road.

I'm fairly sure it wasn't doing much over 65 in reality, but the speedo certainly went up to 75.

I've had the speedo up to 83 (about 10.5K RPM, inside the redline) for about a minute.

This was me glued to the tank, downhill, tailwind on the A13

It certainly felt like it was doing over 70 (unless my car is also well off on the speedo). I've not done any tinkering, just kept it well serviced, adjusted and lubed chain.

10w40 Castrol fully synthetic oil that I've changed far too often. Shell's VPower Nitro+ (they should add "super mega optimal hyper ultra" to the name, I don't think it's long enough) fuel at 99 octane.

Everyones going to say I'm wasting my money, I probably am but it's only £8 for a full tank of the really good stuff, same for the oil.

As I'd mentioned before this is my first motor transport and I'm kind of in love with the thing, your first may be a dog but she'll always be your first.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 05 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a GPS on it and then see what speed it does.....?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1