Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newbie - Keeway TX125 - any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

pogbellies
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:05 - 11 Aug 2013    Post subject: Newbie - Keeway TX125 - any good? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm planning on starting out on the biking path. I'm a little bit older (well a lot older at 47) and 6'1".

I was thinking about doing my theory, CBT and DAS. The more I think about it though, it might be a good idea to get a few months experience on a 125 before doing my A1 and A.

A couple of days ago I had a sit on and started up a friends Keeway TX125 and was quite impressed. It's quite tall, the engine sounds quite deep and it seems nicely put together apart from the horrid dials. I have no real experience of bikes though!

So my question is why are they so cheap in comparison to similar machines, is there something I should know?

Thanks

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 11 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

First rule of buying your first 125 ... if it isn't Japanese, don't touch it with a barge pole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 11 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why are they so cheap in comparison to similar machines, is there something I should know?

https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/c/cn.gif

Some people will disagree, but as many others will say - its chinese, avoid it. They have a very bad reputation, it is improving but i wouldn't personally say anywhere near to a rate that would make it a wise-purchase at the moment considering all the horror-stories and grief a lot of riders experience with chinese bikes.

I'd consider at your age doing the CBT first, just to check biking is still something you want to do on the off chance you really hate it, then the theory and DAS and just going onto a bit of a bigger bike and taking it steady. Especially if you have the budget to throw at lessons and the DAS without experience in case it takes a little longer having had no prior riding experience i'm presuming.

What are you wanting the bike for also, fun, commuting, travelling etc - all plays a big part in what bike would be best ultimately.

With your height though i would think some bikes will be a bit uncomfortable so i'd try have a test ride or at least sit on a few before considering them Thumbs Up

pogbellies
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:51 - 11 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, really it's just for pleasure and maybe the odd commute. I plan on sticking a top box on whatever I get and sticking my photo gear into it just to get out and about. I don't really want a sports bike.

Part of the appeal of the TX was the low initial cost, plus I like that type. I was drooling over F700GS!

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 11 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres always an arguement to be had that theyre not ALL bad which of course they aren't but the chances or problems coming that wouldn't with non chinese bikes seem very high normally, so although the initial cost is low - factor in a load of repairs, replacements and especially the hassle stress and time spent fixing it/getting recovered if you're out and about and quickly becomes less appealing.

What sort of budget do you have max Question

pogbellies
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:03 - 11 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the bike I wouldn't really want to go over 2k.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 11 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306167320628/sort/recpriceascdefault/usedbikes/price-to/2000/make/bmw/radius/1500/page/3/postcode/bs313ln?logcode=p

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306247458288/sort/recpriceascdefault/usedbikes/price-to/2000/make/bmw/radius/1500/page/3/postcode/bs313ln?logcode=p

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201308058158980/sort/recpriceascdefault/usedbikes/price-to/2000/make/bmw/postcode/bs313ln/radius/1500/page/2?logcode=p

Some options you might like Razz Have to check their condition of course could all be knackered if they've been badly treated during their 30k odd miles, but otherwise for the amount of miles i'm guessing you'll do fun-riding they should last you a fair while. Plenty other non-bmw's that are similar, just going by the fact you liked the F700.

I wouldn't even consider a chinese bike vs those alone though personally Thumbs Up

650cc might sound daunting at the moment but after your DAS with a bit of time and steady riding they won't be unmanigable, and they're certainly not lairy sport bikes Laughing

GeorgeB.
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:20 - 12 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Keeway TX125 as my first bike - While it was good, I only had it for 6 months so can't really give an accurate review on the reliability.

However, in those 6 months I only had one fault on the bike - The cable from the front wheel to the clocks either melted or was chewed by a rat. Either way, it was fixed under warranty by my dealer and everything was fine after that Very Happy

In hindsight though, I wish I had've gone for a used jap machine, mostly because you could get a decent one for cheaper than you would a brand new TX, and you could sell it on for a lot more than you could a used TX.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:09 - 12 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

For £2k, you can grab a Yamaha YBR, a Honda Varadero or something equally large, even a Derbi Terra which is closely styled to the F700 you long for Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:17 - 12 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: Newbie - Keeway TX125 - any good? Reply with quote

pogbellies wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning on starting out on the biking path. I'm a little bit older (well a lot older at 47) and 6'1".

You're only a young lad Smile

Quote:
I was thinking about doing my theory, CBT and DAS. The more I think about it though, it might be a good idea to get a few months experience on a 125 before doing my A1 and A.

I'm a bit older than you. I decided to go the Direct Access route and
get a bigger bike. Now that I have the full A licence, I'm very glad that
I chose that option.

Quote:
A couple of days ago I had a sit on and started up a friends Keeway TX125 and was quite impressed. It's quite tall, the engine sounds quite deep and it seems nicely put together apart from the horrid dials. I have no real experience of bikes though!

My son has a 2011 Keeway Speed 125. It has performed quite well
over the last year. The only significant fault was a failed regulator/rectifier
and that was probably as a result of using the bike to jump-start a car!
I enjoy riding the Keeway in city traffic, even though it is a little small
for me. I'm 6ft3 and just over 17st.

Quote:
So my question is why are they so cheap in comparison to similar machines, is there something I should know?

They are cheap Chinese bikes with cheap Chinese build quality.
If you look after them, you can expect them to have a service life
of 4-7years. A well built Japanese bike costs nearly twice as much, but
it may well last twice as long.

As the quality of Chinese bikes is improving and many 'Japanese'
bikes are now made in China anyway, the gap between the premium
brands and the Chinese cheapies will probably continue to shrink.

pogbellies
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:53 - 12 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, really don't know which way to go. Driving experience tells me to get experience before taking the A and I like the look of the Varadero and Derbi 125s (are the Derbi's decent - I thought they were Chinese!)

But those F650s look really nice too, plus I've seen Transalps, bigger Varaderos, KLE500s and even a Tiger in or near my price range. Does the higher mileage present a problem on better bikes? What should I look out for?

Sorry for all the questions but you can't beat good advice!

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 12 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're jumping the gun a bit, get the cbt done first, see how you get on, then think about whether to go down the 125 or DAS route. The last thing you want to be worrying about at this stage is what bike to buy.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 12 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the higher mileage present a problem on better bikes? What should I look out for?

Not really, it all depends on the general condition to be honest, you could find a bike with 10k miles thats been thrashed and poorly maintained thats 100x worse than one with 30k miles, but then the same could apply vice versa of course - not sure on specifics to check with BMW's like those as i've never owned or looked into them much, but the majority of things are fairly simple to check when you know what to look out for, i certainly wouldnt let the mileage put you off in itself.

pogbellies
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:38 - 12 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
You're jumping the gun a bit, get the cbt done first, see how you get on, then think about whether to go down the 125 or DAS route. The last thing you want to be worrying about at this stage is what bike to buy.

I take your point but the reason for the original post was my friend has a tame dealer who could have done the CBT at the same time I bought the bike. I could then have rode it home. Just didn't want to get caught up in the excitement and make a mistake with the bike.

I have a relative who did his CBT recently locally and struggled with the 125 used due to size and I'm taller than him!

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 16 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Chinese bike if you are prepared to either scrap it, or sell it for a few hundred after two years (that's if it's well looked after). On the other hand, plenty of people spend £1500 on a Jap bike, keep it for 6 months to practice on and then sell it for £1400. If you think you can maintain it exceptionally well then you are still looking at a 50% depreciation rate over two years riding, especially in all weathers or if you live near the coast. I am not slagging off Chinese bikes for the sake of it - the newer ones may well be a lot better than those of 7/8 years ago, just remember they are built with low-grade steel, budget parts and fixings, and it's often the little things that break or fall off which will force you to either bodge them (thus lowering the re-sale value even more) or get replacement parts which are just as shoddy but not as cheap as you'd expect.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 16 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derbi's are awesome! but I am slightly bias.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 97 days between these two posts...

Tomlom1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:04 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: We’re to after market exhaust for keeway tx125 Reply with quote

Hi does anybody know were to get after market exhaust from as seen a couple of bike with nice exhaust on but can’t find one anywhere any help would be grateful

Last edited by Tomlom1 on 21:15 - 20 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: We’re to after market exhaust for keeway tx125 Reply with quote

Tomlom1 wrote:
Hi does anybody know were to get after market exhaust from as seen a couple of bike with nice exhaust on but can’t remember to find one any help would be grateful

Fucking spanner, I read the thread like it was new. Middle Finger

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: We’re to after market exhaust for keeway tx125 Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Fucking spanner, I read the thread like it was new. Middle Finger

Me too. Fucking hate thread resurrection that has nothing to do with the original thread. Hanging's too good etc etc etc
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1