Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha 125 ybr 2007 Not Starting (not Sun related)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ryan C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:48 - 06 Sep 2013    Post subject: Yamaha 125 ybr 2007 Not Starting (not Sun related) Reply with quote

Hey, first post so this should be good.

I have a 125 ybr Yamy, which runs amazing well tootling around the Lincolnshire country side, and i love it to bits. Smile

But i have a slight technical problem on start up, sometimes, when i turn the key and hit the Ignition, it will not start, despite the engine trying to turn over.
On the dash, all seems normal, neutral light comes on, as well as the pre-ignition light with the little engine logo on it. But when i try to start it, the engine light flashes at me rapidly and it will not start. When i stop trying to start it, the light will slowly flash until i turn the key to "off".

If i set the key to off, and then back to start, it sometimes does not start again, and sometimes it will start as though nothing is wrong at all.

I've been reading though some different forums and posts, changed the battery with a fresh one, and changed the spark. I've also checked wires for any obvious faults but have found none. (next job on my list to poke around with a multimeter and check for broken wires)

Any clues? It's starting to drive me up the wall.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Edit: Also, this has happened on hot and cold days, in the sun and in the rain.

Ryan C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:26 - 07 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump Smile

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 07 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignition switch faulty? maybe it allowing it to start but the earth is killing the engine? maybe

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 07 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the sidestand switch which can corrode, you can bypass the switch by joining the two wires going to the switch as a test.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 07 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound stupid, but are you sure the kill switch on your right handle bar is set on?

The NC27 I had could turn the engine with the kill switch off. I once spent half an hour starting it in front of Tesco, even tried to push start it. Then I realised the switch was off Embarassed

Some people even drained the battery flat like that Thumbs Up

Ryan C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:09 - 07 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
Try the sidestand switch which can corrode, you can bypass the switch by joining the two wires going to the switch as a test.

Should start with the stand down, but ill give it a look regardless.

As for a killswitch, there doesn't seem to be one on my handlebars and i havn't seen one when poking around the engine.

The engine light flashes fast 3 times and then slowly 3 times, instead of a constant slow flash.

Ryan C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:01 - 07 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
ignition switch faulty? maybe it allowing it to start but the earth is killing the engine? maybe

good theory, ill also take a look at the switch, see if i can see anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the quick replies people, i'll get back to you if i find a solution or not.

-R

lukamon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 07 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil from way in the past. wrote:
Going by the Haynes book... a code of 33 (3 long flashes, 3 short flashes) is the ignition coil and the engine will not run. Possible causes are a fault in the wiring (corrosion, break in cable etc), faulty coil, faulty ignition cut off circuit or faulty ECU. Thumbs Up Start by checking and cleaning up the wiring and connectors.

HTH Thumbs Up

edit: seeing as your problem seems to be intermittent, i'd put money on a wire is broken either internally or as a result of chafing on the frame. get out the 'meter and check all the wires around the coil, and wiggle them if poss to try and replicate the fault

kevinheb
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 08 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you counted the flashes?

It sounds like the same problem I have

1 long flash followed by 9 short flashes, which equal an error code of 19.

Its not a major issue, normally I just have to turn it off and then try again and it starts, but I would love to work out the cause of the problem and fix it.

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:43 - 08 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem with my brothers 2008 ybr 125, it turned out to be water in the loom and/or connectors. I untaped all the wiring loom and set to it and all the connections with a hairdryer followed by a squirt of wd-40 in the connections.

Never had the problem since Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 11 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on Yamaha Workshop, someone else with the same error code.

Quote:
Yes, you have a fault code 19 - basically a problem with the black and white wire (or its connectors at either end) between the ignition switch and the ECU.

It might be easiest to start at the ignition switch working back to the ECU.

The ECU itself is located within a rubber mount on the top frame tube under the tank about 6" or so back from the headstock.
To remove the tank you'll need to remove the rear tank bolt (12mm), the link bar between the two black plastic air scoops attached to the underside of the tank(10mm), the lower fuel pipe that feeds the injector - remove small crosshead security screw, lift away plastic shroud to release the safety tab (push upwards)to access the two release buttons which need to be pressed in together to release the pipe from the injector unit. A small amount of fuel will leak from the pipe. As you lift the tank you can unclip the feed to the fuel pump. Do not lift the tank up too high or ypou wil ldamge it against the bearing cover located on top of the steering head column.

Having removed the tank which should take you no longer than 5 mins, you can then try and locate the problem

https://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/26845-ybr125-fault-codes/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

YBR Ric
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never did get any feed back for that post.

Ryan C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:02 - 05 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

arh ha!

Sorry about the long delay on the reply, i took the front dash off, fault checked all the cables, connections etc etc, no result.

Coped with it not starting first time for a few weeks, until i discovered that the engine will cut out and not start if the ignition key is not _exactly_ central on the on position.
if you are riding along, and nudge the key ever-so slightly, it cuts out, giving the warning light (which now seem to change every time).

So looks like this might be because of a faulty ignition barrel. >.<

I'll get back to you if replacing it solves the issue.

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:08 - 05 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one of these in the workshop the other day.

Is the fuel pump priming? If not, double check cables bit will more likely need a new motor... Chinese crap

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemo wrote:
Had one of these in the workshop the other day.

Is the fuel pump priming? If not, double check cables bit will more likely need a new motor... Chinese crap

The fuel pump not priming is a different issue to this one (the fuel pump issue is a manufacturing issue which only involves the pump, not the power to the pump, and hence no warning light as the ECU does not detect any issue).

Just thought I'd point out Yamaha is Japanese; and they're usually reliable bikes; just a few manufacturing issues with the first injection models.

Ryan C
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:53 - 15 Nov 2013    Post subject: Solved :D Reply with quote

Yesterday i changed the ignition barrel, and this solved all previous issues, and all electronics seem to be working much better. (dash lights brighter, Headlight brighter)

Note:
If you ever change a YBR 125 Ignition barrel, be prepared to get a drill Smile, as they have smooth-headed bolts that are glued in place.

Thansk to everyone who helped me out here Smile

- Ryan

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 15 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, great to hear you got it fixed! I'm planning to fit some heated grips to mine this weeked!

Boris the spider
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:29 - 15 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonjb wrote:
No problem, great to hear you got it fixed! I'm planning to fit some heated grips to mine this weeked!

Regards the heated grips.

Are they standard ones or the "light" version ?

Apparently YBRs don't like the normal ones due to power drain on system.

And Oxford do the light ones especially for smaller bikes.

I have an R+G set i'd like to fit on mines but warned off doing it.

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 15 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris the spider wrote:

Regards the heated grips.

Are they standard ones or the "light" version ?

Apparently YBRs don't like the normal ones due to power drain on system.

And Oxford do the light ones especially for smaller bikes.

I have an R+G set i'd like to fit on mines but warned off doing it.

They're some cheaper ones, but they have loads of good reviews, and I made sure they're low power consumption (~2 Amps max at highest setting of 80 degrees). Not long fitted a new battery anyway, but if it becomes an issue, I have an Oxford Oximiser maintenance charger to keep it topped up.

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 24 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you guys know, I had an Error Code 19 on my bike this week and it was the ignition barrel as well... but..

I didn't need to replace it, it must be dirt or condensation in the base or something, because I squirted a large amount of switch cleaner into the barrel and it resolved the issue.

If anyone has this issue, try switch cleaner, may not need to replace the ignition barrel!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 5 years, 139 days between these two posts...

jallen14
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:13 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Yamaha 125 ybr 2007 Not Starting (not Sun related) Reply with quote

Hi,
Did you figure out the issue? my 2015 ybr is having a similar issue.
It was running fine then all of a sudden cut out. It flashes 3 long and 3 short (Fault Code 33 - Ignition Coil) but having replaced that nothing changed.
Also, the brake light stays on constantly and i have changed both brake switches.
Any idea what the issue could be? I think maybe a crossed wire or eath issue but i don't have a clue where to start.
Thanks.

Ryan C wrote:
Hey, first post so this should be good.

I have a 125 ybr Yamy, which runs amazing well tootling around the Lincolnshire country side, and i love it to bits. Smile

But i have a slight technical problem on start up, sometimes, when i turn the key and hit the Ignition, it will not start, despite the engine trying to turn over.
On the dash, all seems normal, neutral light comes on, as well as the pre-ignition light with the little engine logo on it. But when i try to start it, the engine light flashes at me rapidly and it will not start. When i stop trying to start it, the light will slowly flash until i turn the key to "off".

If i set the key to off, and then back to start, it sometimes does not start again, and sometimes it will start as though nothing is wrong at all.

I've been reading though some different forums and posts, changed the battery with a fresh one, and changed the spark. I've also checked wires for any obvious faults but have found none. (next job on my list to poke around with a multimeter and check for broken wires)

Any clues? It's starting to drive me up the wall.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Edit: Also, this has happened on hot and cold days, in the sun and in the rain.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Yamaha 125 ybr 2007 Not Starting (not Sun related) Reply with quote

If you had read the whole thread, you would have seen this :-

Ryan C wrote:
Yesterday i changed the ignition barrel, and this solved all previous issues, and all electronics seem to be working much better. (dash lights brighter, Headlight brighter)

Note:
If you ever change a YBR 125 Ignition barrel, be prepared to get a drill Smile, as they have smooth-headed bolts that are glued in place.

- Ryan

Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

jallen14
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:27 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Yamaha 125 ybr 2007 Not Starting (not Sun related) Reply with quote

Hi Shaggy,
Thanks for that! I have a spare ignition laying around I’ll give that a shot. However, I’m not sure if this will have any affect on the brake light being constantly on and as I have swapped both brake switches it seems likely it may be a crossed wire.
Thanks

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
If you had read the whole thread, you would have seen this :-

Ryan C wrote:

Note:

- Ryan

simonjb
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ignition barrel is a well-known issue on this model.

I got around error code 19 by using a relay to switch the black/white wire to ground (this wire is what tells the ECU the ignition is turned on), using a splice of the normally functioning high-current wire to power the 30A automotive relay.

A relay this highly rated isn't strictly necessary, since the black/white wire passes very little current. But it is far more robust than a cheaper option and has served me well for several years so far.

I would test the connections to the ignition with a multimeter, as well as continuity to the ignition coil, ECU etc. to rule this in/out as the issue.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1