Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Testing a 'special' at track days

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Testing a 'special' at track days Reply with quote

Hi all.
I have a little paying hobby of re-building older spares/repairs or accident damaged bikes (retired and all that).
At the moment I'm slowly putting together a mongrel Fireblade that is incorporating some of my more oultlandish ideas, progressing nicely, but I have some ideas for fairly radical chassis and suspension mods that I am working on.
Obviously, without wishing to spend some time at her Majesty's pleasure, I can't fully test this to the limit on the road.
What is the policy for using a trackday as a testing session. The bike itself is fully legal, but I would be doing say, a lap or two, then coming in to check and make alterations or adjustments as neccessary. Would that be frowned on or simply not allowed?

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:44 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be frowned upon if you were dangerous on the bike and obstructing other people in your group.

I'd recommend looking out for an 'open pit lane' trackday, as it means ducking in and out of the pits is not going to cause as much of an issue. However, my feeling is that testing the bike on the road would be safer and a lot less hassle. If you can get the bike MOT'd then you shouldn't need to mess around with trackdays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only open pit lane days I see though are ACU Test Days. Which means you will need an ACU license + the bike must meet ACU regs, in terms of braided lines, steering stops, and bellypan.

I would do it on a trackday. but do the full 20minute session, then do the adjustments over your 40 minute wait. Unless the bike is unrideable.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:11 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I've been on an open pit lane trackday. Was at Brands hatch.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people. The bike will have been shaken down on the road so will be perfectly safe and rideable at road type speeds. But, as you know, pushing it out to its limits can throw up unexpected problems.
It may well be that it runs fine, but I have no doubt that a track will show up weakness' that the road cannot. Looks like the easiest route is a track day session and then do the work in the down-time. (Cheaper than hiring the Nurburgring for a day or two!).

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:23 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any bike can throw up unexpected problems when pushed to the limit.

Make sure you approach those limits carefully and if in doubt, not near other riders.

If you haven't done any trackdays, using it to test a bike at the limit isn't ideal.

Do some trackdays and get an idea of what "the limits" are - you're probably nowhere near most of the anyway if you haven't done any, I'm afraid Smile.

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I haven't bothered to much with UK circuits as I found the 'ring a good few years ago. I've had sessions at Oulton and Donnington so I'm not a stranger to the track but they were with riding schools so the details were all taken care of.
One more question. Can two riders use the same machine at a trackday? i.e. Me on one session and my fast lad on the next, just so I have some idea of his feedback.

Cheers again.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fine so long as you pay for both people in the appropriate groups, and both attend the briefing etc.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 03 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need pictures of this special...

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/this-thread-is-useless-without-pich.jpg

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 03 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how it is at the moment. Its a '97 blade fitted with R1 front end and the 190 rear wheel from an '08 'blade. I've put an '08 blade fairing set on but that's being changed as soon as the Chinks deliver a new set of plastics.
This was built up from an E-Bay engine and frame and bits I had lying around from other builds. First just to see what state the engine was in and then to allow me some cheap experimentation. My intentions are to develop a mechanical anti dive front brake system and a parallelogram rear swinging arm over winter, if that goes well then I have a nice little turbo to try out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1