Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommended track days?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

young-lecky
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:51 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Recommended track days? Reply with quote

I've been riding my K4 GSXR600 for 5 months now and am really enjoying it. Unfortunately, now she's parked up due to winter coming in.

I've been thinking that next year for my holidays i'll do a few track days, over a week or a fortnight, but seeing as i'm from Northern Ireland i was thinking i'd go across the pond to England as there's only 1 or 2 tracks over here.

So what would be the top 5 tracks to do (as 1st time track riding)?

I'm confident cornering on the road, and can get my right knee down around roundabouts, so i'd like good cornering tracks that can get the bike over (plus i need to get my damned left slider scraping the tar)

Also, what equipment is required? barr, a helmet, 1 or 2 piece leathers, gloves, boots, ear plugs and a chest & back protector...

And also can anyone recommend luggage carriers for the K4 GSXR as i've never had to carry luggage before.

Thanks,
Keith

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some spares.. clutch/brake levers, foot peg brackets, brake pedal etc. Get good tyres, also good to have a spare set of wheels with wets on the back of your van just in case the weather is not as desired. What else: tyre pressure gauge, foot pump, some spanners, sockets etc. Good to have a lot of gaffer tape and cable ties.

If you've got tyre warmers and own generator then get them too. And don't forget extra fuel.. on the track your mpg will drop by 50%.

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 06 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above get some basic spares and tools so your day isn't ended early due to a small spill. I'm not sure riding over from Northern Ireland is a great idea unless you have cover to get you back if you bin it though?

Top tracks have to be:

Oulton Park
Cadwell Park
Donington Park
Brands Hatch (indy track is quite short though if you need to do a long journey to get there but still good) GP track is quality apparently but dates are rare and expensive.
Silverstone is good but you spend half the day learning your way around! Again dates are rare and expensive though.

Don't worry too much about all the gear like tyre warmers etc to begin with, just get out there and enjoy it. Take at least 2 laps to get some heat in your tyres by braking and accelerating hard in a straight line before getting your lean on and the power down out of the corners!

If you're looking to make a holiday out of it why not look at euro track days? A few of us are heading out to Cartagena in February for 4 days on track, hotel and bike transport is included in the price of £479 (early booking until this weekend).
Thundersport Pre-National Sport 600 2014 #92
EMRA Roadstock 600 2013 - 3rd
www.facebook.com/MattJohnstonRacing

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 06 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its your first time don't worry about spares or equipment just make sure your bike is in good order, tape lights and/or remove mirrors and have fun.

only thing id suggest you take is plenty of water and food to snack on throughout the day. (i dont mean just get loads of crisps and choc)

you'll be told what you should do and how you should behave on the trackday briefing so no need to go into that.

if you enjoy it and want to do it more (you will.. once that bug has bitten you its tough to ignore.. heh) then you can start thinking about dedicated track bikes, spare fairing/footrests/bars, pumps, spare wheels with wet tyres etc.. etc.. for the moment though its not necessary.

regarding tyres, decent road tyres will be fine for you. lower your pressures to around 33 psi and off you go. (some may say don't even bother doing that your first time out but the fact is you will be riding faster on a track than you will on the road so it makes sense to knock the pressures down a little to adjust for the higher temps.)

i had my 1st wet trackday on BT016s and i survived Smile halfway through the afternoon i did almost lose the front though and that's when i called it a day. lots of standing water around so not surprising. unless you're running semi slicks on your bike you'll have nothing to worry about in the wet, just be smooth.

fozzym
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:51 - 06 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you are coming over from Northern Ireland then it would be logical to come over to Hollyhead and do Anglesey. Nice track as far as I believe, I've not done it but mates have and have had a great day.

Then you have Outon park which isn't a million miles away down the A55 which is my local track and one I really like.

Donington is another great track, a bit quicker I'd say with faster corners but I'd not worry about things like that to start off with. Honestly every track will feel flippin quick and twisty untill you get experienced. Silverstone is a very fast track but perhaps not quite as technical in the bends as something like Cadwell which is tight and some say quite scary.

Like others have said, make sure your bike is well prepered and if you have a few spares and tools all the better. I have very few spares and a regular tool kit which does me. I work on the premise that if I fall off and break stuff its probably time to go home!

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 06 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

fozzym wrote:
I work on the premise that if I fall off and break stuff its probably time to go home!

No! Jump back on and go quicker Very Happy
Thundersport Pre-National Sport 600 2014 #92
EMRA Roadstock 600 2013 - 3rd
www.facebook.com/MattJohnstonRacing

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 06 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oulton is excellent and close-ish to you. I've always wanted to do Anglesey, its got a really good reputation and would be even closer for you.

Regarding lefthanders, the double left at Pembrey is probably my absolute favourite. Ideal leftie kneedown opportunity there, bit of a trek from NI though.

young-lecky
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:53 - 07 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the recommendations, its appreciated Smile

My plan is if i enjoy it enough to maybe one day get a track bike, as motorbikes is the only real thing i'm into, all the money i earn is spent on extras and equipment for my motorbike. i drive a '91 polo solely for the purpose it was cheap and its easy run to leave me with more tokens for bike things Razz

Regards to if i do bin the bike (hopefully i don't) i have family and friends scattered all over england (travelling in australia was good for making real good friends all over the world) and they'd help me out in a heartbeat, just like i'd do for them if they were over here Smile

Thanks again folks Smile

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 07 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anglesey is a very nice circuit. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 12 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oulton Park & Cadwell Park are two of the best* tracks in the UK and the prices are always attractive.

A good track for a noob is Rockingham national, but that might be a bit far south?

Silverstone GP is also good for a noob as it is so wide, meaning any line will do! Wink but like the Rock, probably a little south for you?

*Best being defined as the most exhilarating and challenging.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 12 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Mondello Park do trackdays? A bit of a journey, but got to the easier than coming over on the ferry.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1