Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Got an Untaxed, Un-MOTd and Un-insured bike. What 1st?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Got an Untaxed, Un-MOTd and Un-insured bike. What 1st? Reply with quote

So I have myself a reeeeeaaallly old CG125 which, as the title suggests has no tax, not MOT and no insurance.

I think I first need to get insurance, then tax, then MOT is that order right?

Sorry for the very stupid question posed, just don't want to get to the PO and be asked for the MOT cert.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:37 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insure > MOT > Tax Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benjums
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:41 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate you can't get tax without a valid mot and insurance cert, so personally I would get the mot done first and see what the damage is on that before thinking about insurance and tax.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you intend to ride it to the garage for it's MOT, you'll want insurance in case Mr. Plod is having a bad day.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:55 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance is the min req. for riding to MOT place Thumbs Up

Benjums
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:09 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

True on the insurance account, my take on it was if he picked the bike up without any insurance ie in a van or trailer then to use the same thing to get it to the mot and as soon as your sure it has passed the mot then get insurance, cause if the bike is knackered for some un known reason at least you won't loose your insurance deposit. Only my opinion though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:10 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG should be like £80 to insure Laughing

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw so I can insure it then MOT it before taxing? That's a cheeky Brucey bonus.

I've had it about a month now, tinkering away making it road legal .. so I hope. I've ridden it up n down the drive and it feels fine there.

I could just book the MOT and use it as a test ride Smile

Thanks for the info

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:35 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to insure it before MOT just to give it time to show on MID. Then I buy tax online, saves carrying docs to Post office.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:25 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
And then your monkey bike tax disc ends up in the bottom of my toolbox Laughing

I don't display tax, GSXR750 had an 07 disk on it. Laughing

cbrtrxtdmvfrD...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:30 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a similar thing and just got insurance through compare the market (3rd party only) for £55.25 per year, it is a 2006 Honda XR 125 L gets it on the MID data base and that's basically all i need - i will be selling it in the new year when the sun comes out and the prices of these things rockets through the roof and in the mean time can blast around on it ultra cheaply leaving my nice bike in the garage

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Re: Got an Untaxed, Un-MOTd and Un-insured bike. What 1st? Reply with quote

snoosnoo wrote:
So I have myself a reeeeeaaallly old CG125 which, as the title suggests has no tax, not MOT and no insurance.

I think I first need to get insurance, then tax, then MOT is that order right?

Sorry for the very stupid question posed, just don't want to get to the PO and be asked for the MOT cert.

1st thing would be to SORN it......

Unless you are getting its Insured, MOT'ed and taxed in a few days....

SORN is wiped clean when ownership is changed.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's what could be problematic with this. The last owner was just given the log book and the old owner signed where he should. The prev owner didn't do anything with it so just gave me that when he dropped the bike off.

I've filled in my details and really need to get off my arse and get it sent off using the old old owners details that were signed a year ago and hope it's OK.

If they say anything about them receiving it so late after I bought it, post service is obviously rubbish isn't it?!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:00 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoosnoo wrote:
I've had it about a month now

Have you SORNed it (using a V890 before you got the V5C, or online as soon as you had it)?

If not, the DVLA should be in touch any day now, wanting a bribe for not prosecuting you for keeping an uninsured vehicle.

Really, either insure or SORN it right now.

snoosnoo wrote:
I could just book the MOT and use it as a test ride Smile

You wouldn't be the first. Wink

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Rog I'll print that off and send it today too, obviously dated on the day I received the bike

EDIT What is the bleeding address? I either can't see it for the trees or it's not on this form?

EDIT EDIT found it. I'll get this sent off tonight so they don't try and bribe me. TBF they don't know I have it yet anyway so it'll still be under the SORN put on it by whoever. TBH I have no history of it, I have Chalky to ask though Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:39 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, has the previous keeper not told them that you have it? If so, they're very... trusting.

You can't SORN until you're the new keeper, it's almost impossible to do it completely within the law. To keep it totally square, you'll want to sent off a V890 with the same date as the change of keeper on the V5C, not when you obtained the bike.

They do operate on about a month's grace though, so don't fret too much.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 19 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive sent off the completed the v5c and sent it off with a sorn notice dated when i got the bike. We'll see what comes of it. Just to note I put then both in the same envelope and put them in a postbox. On 31st october 2013.

The owner before chalky gave him the v5c to fill out but in chalky's words he, couldnt be arsed. Ive put the date ive got it from anyway. Well see. Thanks for the info everybody!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1