Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

stainless steel fittings/disk bolts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

speedy21
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: stainless steel fittings/disk bolts Reply with quote

anyone know of somewhere doing a set front and back for brake discs at a good price, ive found a set for £42 on ebay, just wandering if theres anywhere cheaper as this seems rather steep for a few bolts to me ?
thanks Shocked Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:56 - 31 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't use stainless for disc bolts. It's a pretty weak metal and a safety critical, high load componant

The reason it's expensive is because it will need to be an extremely high grade stainless to even come close to half the strength a high-tensile, mild steel bolt is giving you.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 31 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered about this before - is it the shear strength of the bolts that matters? Because the wheel material that the bolt is fixed into isn't as strong is it?

I've always assumed that they use plain steel bolts because they're cheaper, but then I'm not very knowledgeable on metals.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:39 - 31 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ought to be tensile strength if they are tightened down sufficiently. The three bits of metal (disc, bolt and hub) should behave like a single piece of metal.

So with the lowest common grade of high tensile mild steel bolt (grade 8,8) assuming it's an M8 fine pitch you have *consults tables*

8,8 means it has a tensile strength of 800Nmm^2 and should be tightened to within 80% of its elastic phase to remain tight.. So you'd do it up to 22Nm of torque.

Most stainless fasteners are grade A2 70 which has 700N/mm^2 tensile strength and needs to be tightened to 17Nm of torque.

PROBABLY enough but do we know?

The other way is to get grade 80 stainless.

The other factor is that most stainless bolts they supply for motorcycles is A2 stainless which is still going to rust when exposed to salty water and is not above seizing solid in aluminium alloy.

So, if you got grade A4/80 stainless, It ought to be as strong as the original and very corrosion resistant. Is it worth the extra cost though?

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 01 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless aren't great for disc bolts for the reasons highlighted above.

I've just bought a set of titanium disc bolts for the same as what you've said above, and not only it's titanium stronger than steel, it's also light and as such you save a little bit of unsprung weight. All be it, marginal but can't go wrong.

Especially as standard steel bolts are a similar price!

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 01 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
I've wondered about this before - is it the shear strength of the bolts that matters? Because the wheel material that the bolt is fixed into isn't as strong is it?

Shear strength and tensile strength in metal are directly related. Shear is regarded as approximately half of tensile, so percentage-wise the difference in shear is the same as the difference in the quoted tensile strength between the metals concerned i.e. if a2 is 58% the tensile strength of 12.9 (which it does) then it has 58% the shear strength.

Also, brake disc bolts have a close-fitting shoulder that acts as a dowel between the disc and hub and prevents braking forces from putting a bending moment on the threads. Stainless steel suffers badly from work-hardening when cold-worked (bending back and forth) so if you do put these half-as-strong bolts on your brakes make sure they have the shoulder to suit or you may be in for a nasty surprise.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1