Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Offroad conversion tips wanted

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 18:51 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Offroad conversion tips wanted Reply with quote

Ok, I've been toying with the idea of a supermoto headlight on my MZ. My bike's got a certain slight off road look about it anyway. I just want to boost it a bit.

This is my inspiration found whilst browsing bikepics.com:
https://www.bikepics.com/pictures/132252/

Then I noticed this on ebay, a universal off road conversion kit. I'd spray it black as I think the yellow is a little gareish.
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7942976976&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Any input? Anyone done it? Do you think it'd be worth paying a bit more for the bits? Or am I just going to drop it anyway?

It's never going to be a real crosser or a supermoto bike, but I might be able to take away a little bit of the old man feel about it.

www.syn-flood.us/bike/

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:02 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you plan to fit that rear fender then?

Personally I think it's a silly idea, but it's up to you..it'll go on with a bit of bodging but it'll just look like an old skanky field bike Laughing

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 19:08 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definately one opinion!

I'm bodgetastic, I'm sure it'd go on with a bit of glue, wood and gaffer tape.

Maybe I'm better off saving my money, I may just move the front fender to the top of the forks i.e motox like.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:20 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I didn't mean it in a nasty way, just those plastics on ebay looks like it belongs on a 1950's MZ Laughing

You might be better off buying a nicer fender and headlight off a more modern bike, KTM, yam WR or something and fitting that.

With the rear fender,I mean, looking at the size of your seat etc the fender just wouldn't fit and if it did it wouldn't look right unless you fitted a motox style seat as well... .a motox fender will be about 1/3rd the width of your seat Laughing

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 21:34 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for buying a nice headlight.

But looking at some of the nice UFO super moto headlights I think they'd just look silly on my bike. They look too nice and too modern.

i.e : https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25628&item=7942795599&rd=1

Hopefully I can just move the front fender to the top of the forks with a bit of bodging.

I'll have to look into a different rear fender, one with a built in rear light and reg plate mounts, so nothing too moto-xy.

Gaz

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you seem to be talking about is a cosmetic overhaul..... and as far as that is concerned you can do almost anything, these things only become tricky when you're looking at changing the geometry. It's not like you're looking at cutting up a brand new Blade, just go for it. Get the parts that you think will work, then make them fit, where there's a will there's a way. Anything can be made to fit anything, it's just a matter of time, money and imagination. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:12 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NDK you always seem to give a reply that inspires my way of thinking!!

I've already ruined the general charm of the bike by strapping a noisy race can to the side of it, so why not bolt some bits of plastic on it so it looks like it sounds!

Project supermoto crappy MZ here I come.

Gaz

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy: semi-knobblies, gaiters, high mudguard, brush guards, flyscreen, new headlamp? That lot should probably do, and are mostly just bolt on/ replacement parts. I suppose cutting some (apparent) weight from around the middle wouldn't hurt either.

Penny Coin Penny Coin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 20:58 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the knobblies. It's never going to go anywhere near off road (if everything goes to plan).

Gaiters are already on there, the high mudguard is the next thing, new light, hand guards, new rear fender, bingo

EDIT: The first step has been taken, bought some second hand Honda XR400 handlebars.

Gaz

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: post Reply with quote

Yer go for it mate, Loads and loads of plastics all different shapes and colors and all you need is a stanly knife a few plasters and some intuitive

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 11:21 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I bought the universal plastics off ebay.

One size fits nothing, but we'll see.

So the off road plastics including headlight+small fairing, handguards, front fender, rear fender. I've also got the XR400 bars to go on.

An update with pics in a week or so when I put all the shit on.

Gaz

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 18:30 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my cable clearances are a little tight at the moment with the current bars.

So with the XR400 bars on it, I think I'll need new cables...

are cables specific to certain bikes? are the new bars a lost cause?

Gaz

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine bars are worth geting if you haven't!

If your offroadificateing it then it would be rude not to! i had a go on my cg a couple of times on road tyres, it was a tremendous laugh! because its light and as such fairlyforgiveing its muchos fun.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:46 - 02 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here come the first stages.

The rear fender slotted on quite nicely, now's the tease of fitting a number plate that is somewhere near vertical, and a light that is also somewhere near legal.

Any ideas on the whole light/numberplate issue? I'd rather it was slightly uglier but legal that looking good but not MOT worthy.

The light on there at the moment is just a brake light, so no numberplate illumination.

The front fender is a bit of a tease but is coming along.

The XR400 bars fitted beautifully, and when I took the old bars off you can notice that I actually BENT them when I crashed a month-ish ago. Shocked

The left handguard fitted beautifully, the right one I'm yet to think of a way to attach it. I think cable ties probably hold the key to that one...

pics at the following address: www.syn-flood.us/bike/new/

Gaz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1