Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My first big bike! Kawasaki zr7 :)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:23 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: My first big bike! Kawasaki zr7 :) Reply with quote

Finally got some photos of my bicycle since my camera phone is a potato.

Before his clean:
https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/Kawasaki%20zr7/2014-02-22155758_zps511de8a0.jpg
https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/Kawasaki%20zr7/2014-02-22155746_zps9ecebf0e.jpg
https://s1341.photobucket.com/user/DottyDuck/media/Kawasaki%20zr7/2014-02-22155735_zps290b2705.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7
https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/Kawasaki%20zr7/2014-02-22155720_zps805e23fc.jpg
After clean:
https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/Kawasaki%20zr7/2014-02-22163939_zpseb168bcc.jpg
https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/Kawasaki%20zr7/2014-02-22163859_zps5db66ba5.jpg
https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/Kawasaki%20zr7/2014-02-22163830_zpsa44e7804.jpg

After much thought i have named him Bolt. Smile

Last edited by DottyDuck on 03:18 - 23 Feb 2014; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah cool - can you get a hugger for it? Swing arm and shock look horrendously exposed as they are.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:15 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile Yeah i am thinking of getting a one Smile got a few things to get first though. I am wanting crash/engine bars, screen and a rear rack! so once i have them i will invest in a hugger. Thumbs Up

gdj444
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:31 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike, I had one in the same colour as my first "big" bike, the first thing I would do is upgrade the brakes, braided hoses , sintered pads etc as they are quite heavy bikes and the brakes are notoriously poor, especially the front, unless of course yours is okay in which case just ignore me Smile

Jonesy

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:39 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, you are right about the brakes lol i was surprised, I was expecting there to be a bit more urgency! they do not fill me with hope!

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOTTYDUCK wrote:
Thanks Smile Yeah i am thinking of getting a one Smile got a few things to get first though. I am needing a decent exhaust, so cagers, cyclists and all other dingbats can hear me coming. Thumbs Up

Fixed it for ya duck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

snomag
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:08 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these recently as well. How do you like it so far?

It's not my first bike, and after owning a superduke it "might be" a bit of a downgrade for me (financial reasons Rolling Eyes) but I actually find it a pretty good all around bike. It's easy to do basic maintenance on it and rides alright too. Not as much fun as the duke, but it's actually not as bad as I would have though. Maybe I'm getting old :p

Obviously the engine is slightly dated, but it's supposed to be reliable, which is key for me at the moment. A few other things:
- I have replaced the exhaust as soon as I could, as it's been previously stated, it really helps to get noticed. The original exhaust is a bit meh.
- The suspension by default is simply crap. It's waaaaaay too soft for me and I'm not the only one seem to be having this problem. So I've already ordered a new set of progressive springs to make it a bit more responsive. Hopefully it'll improve handling, but of course, I'm not expecting any miracles :p

So, overall, I'm quite happy. So far it seems to get me from A to B without any problems, and hopefully with the suspension sorted it will be a bit more fun as well. Wink

And here're some pics to show off obviously:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7326/12723359283_cbce6fdee5_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5516/12723732254_ce639c3ff9_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/12723581524_30bc8b4ecf_b.jpg

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite like the look of 'em yeah. Might have to see what's out there.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly ended up with a Coffee coloured one as a first big bike but I was put off by the relatively poor performance for the CCs and the lacking any sense of retro style that say a Zephyr 750 has.

Still if the money is right, I could have gotten the ZR 7 for £100 less than I got my Bandit 600 for and it had 10k less miles, they don't seem to command the stupidly premiums high mileage Bandits go for nowadays.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode one of these on Friday and I found it felt very heavy and ponderous.

Sure it'll go forever though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: My first big bike! Kawasaki zr7 :) Reply with quote

DOTTYDUCK wrote:
After much thought i have named him Bolt. Smile

As in Usain or the cartoon dog Question

Nice bike Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good solid 750cc that'll run for ever with some care!

I have to respect these things, as when I was in France just enjoying an afternoon ride through some twisty roads, a French dude on one of these came past me and my mate like we were stood still. Me on my ZX6R and my mate on his Fazer 600, just couldn't catch him despite nearly running off the road from trying too hard!

Tldr: crap rider on ZX6R gets ass handed to him by a ZR7 mounted boss! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:41 - 10 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply! Thumbs Down

Nice looking bike snomag Smile i see the front mudguard isn't the original one, it does look much better but i prefer the original as i am sure there will be less flick up of crap that way! Razz Scorpion can looks good what does it sound like? I was intrigued and pondered on the idea of changing the can but I realised it was quite dear! boo-hiss so I wont be bothering. lol The silver outlining on the engine, did you do that yourself? i like the added little bit of detail it adds! If I am being honest, if i can spend a little bit of money improving the looks of the bike then I don't mind but I grudge spending to much as I doubt I will get it back if I do sell it (hopefully not for a good few years!). Is the orange original? I have not seen the ZR7 in that colour. Looks good though Thumbs Up

My opinions on bike.. .well.... its the second bike I have used that is over a 125cc so tbh I can't complain. I hate the MPG though, I am use to putting a fiver in my tank and not worrying (for my 125) but obviously it isn't really possible to do that for this bike. lol I can see this bike being a downgrade from the superduke, obviously I have never been on one but they are certainly a bike I would love a go on!

@Matt B, no not after the dog or Usain Bolt... but I couldn't think of a name so it suddenly came to me!... Bolts are used to hold the engine together (as you can tell I am not a mechanic) and Bolt sounds funks, so that is why he is called bolt. Also the fact it is my first "big" bike... It feels "fast as fuck" so yeah, 2 birds one stone with the name! lol Embarassed

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 10 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

snomag wrote:

Obviously the engine is slightly dated, but it's supposed to be reliable, which is key for me at the moment.

Slightly?! It's probably older than most BCF members.

That engine dates from the early 70's, was slightly updated for the 90's zephyr models and thats whats used in the ZR7.

It's an oldy, but a goody and has decades of development behind it.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOTTYDUCK wrote:
...I grudge spending to much as I doubt I will get it back if I do sell it

Just ride it, clean it and love it in the way that only your first big bike gets loved.
Save your money for looking after it with servicing and tyres.

snomag
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:26 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOTTYDUCK wrote:
Sorry for the late reply! Thumbs Down

Nice looking bike snomag Smile i see the front mudguard isn't the original one, it does look much better but i prefer the original as i am sure there will be less flick up of crap that way! Razz Scorpion can looks good what does it sound like? I was intrigued and pondered on the idea of changing the can but I realised it was quite dear! boo-hiss so I wont be bothering. lol The silver outlining on the engine, did you do that yourself? i like the added little bit of detail it adds! If I am being honest, if i can spend a little bit of money improving the looks of the bike then I don't mind but I grudge spending to much as I doubt I will get it back if I do sell it (hopefully not for a good few years!). Is the orange original? I have not seen the ZR7 in that colour. Looks good though Thumbs Up

Most of the bike was like this when I got it, apart from the exhaust. Which sounds great (really great), but it's not worth to buy it brand new, because you won't get your money back when you come to sell the bike :p But since I'm planning to hold on to this bike for a while, I decided to buy it and make a few adjustments anyway..so far I'm loving it Smile

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 14 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:

Just ride it, clean it and love it in the way that only your first big gets loved

Funny that, I got bored and flogged my first post licence bike after about three months Wink

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 14 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/Kawasaki%20zr7/2014-02-22163939_zpseb168bcc.jpg

Nice bike, hope you get on well with it Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1