Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Feminism

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Benno
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

krarkol wrote:
Precisely, take the armed forces. Women seem to be allowed an extra 2 and a bit minutes to complete the 1.5 mile run.

If I applied and did it within the females time requirements, if I wasn't applying for a frontline job then surely I should be accepted in any job that a woman would be doing?

Funnily, during my 'Bravo' course training for the reserves, all of the females but one dropped out. All because of fitness reasons, even though they had less weight to carry, less weight to lift, an easier run, etc etc.

One of them dropped out because she couldn't life a 15kg powerbag up. The rest of us were doing 40kg and having no problems. Thinking about this, it concerns me that a woman that can barely lift 15kg would be allowed into the army (succeeds, but barely) Shocked

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

If a bunch of women considered me eye candy and wanted to pay me £xx,000 per year I would'nt mind at all.

Unfortunately although I'm in that situation the extra cash bonus has not yet materialised. Very Happy Sad

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:18 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are so far behind the times. This is real feminism from the age when they knew how to keep us men in line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jUPhF0ENjA

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

dransy wrote:
why dont i get any women coming for interviews at my place wanting to work in the warehouse hand balling 40ft containers? Thinking Thinking

Please forgive me for going slightly off-topic but I'm wondering about the construction of these 40ft containers and what they contain?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benno wrote:

Female teachers have been proven to have a negative effect on boys' as they grow up and go through education. To do with not understanding an empathising with them enough, slight sexism that they may or may not conscious be aware of, etc. I really can't be arsed to look this up again and provide proof though. I'm not in the mood for fully fledged debate right now Rolling Eyes

I didnt want Miss Murphy to "empathise" with me, I just wanted her to stand in front of the window in that sheer skirt that let the sunlight through and outlined her...ahem sorry about that.... Embarassed

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:

Please forgive me for going slightly off-topic but I'm wondering about the construction of these 40ft containers and what they contain?

His MASSIVE BALLS!

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
I just love being a dude, they world is so great for me Very Happy

https://i.imgur.com/S9fEOHG.png

I am no longer a feminist Laughing

I am now a masculinist?!

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

I am now a masculinist?!

I'm not sure that you will be welcomed back into the fold.
We'd never be able to fully trust you to not stray again.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:47 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

krarkol wrote:
That just got me wondering Dransy, I wonder if a lot of it is down to them having their aspirations to high?

For example, they don't want to work in a factory as that's a mans job, so they apply for something a bit higher up the spectrum that they just don't have the experience or qualifications for. Then when they get rejected, they scream and shout saying it's because of their gender.

Also, I just realised my posts seem to be coming across as me targeting women. It's just down to the fact that they are the "victims" in this and I think someone needs to get down to the bottom of it...

I think the majority of women don't apply for 'mens jobs' because they're simply not interested. Just like the opposite. Roles are roughly gendered because, in general, that's what the genders like. We shouldn't try and fight that, there's no point demanding 50/50 representation when it doesn't actually suit our species.

But, we also have to accept that it isn't a simple male/female thing. There are great male nurses, there are great female politicians... as discussed, as long as the 'standards for entry' aren't changed then crack on. If someone has to drag my fat ass out of a burning building, they'd better be able to sling me over their shoulder and do so. Gender unimportant.

What pisses me off is the women who want the special hand holding or give it all the 'look at me, aren't I special for doing a boys thing'. No, what you're doing is fucking it up for all the other women who would do it purely on merit. And don't get me started on the maternity rights stuff - if there's one area where women have shafted their own gender it's this. Neutral

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

I am now a masculinist?!

I'm not sure that you will be welcomed back into the fold.
We'd never be able to fully trust you to not stray again.

https://images2.alphacoders.com/461/461510.png

Petrichor
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:24 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
Yes, women should be treated absolutely 100% equally, at all times. If I have to pass a 1.5 mile run fitness test in 10m30, so should every woman in the army.

Too many people confuse equality and equity; too many people forget that, ultimately, we are all human beings and deserve the same respect and opportunities irrespective of our gender, age, skin colour etc.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=92220

I feel gutted reading some of the posts in this thread.

Have a good weekend, everybody, reflecting on the privileges that each of us takes for granted!

(Just learning how to upload images using this interface. Might be more to do with having just started to use this forum than with the fact that I am a woman.)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:36 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrichor wrote:
quality vs equity

I don't have the genetics or youth to win an olympic twirly-baton-gymnastics thingy.

Should society provide me with every resource to bring as close to that level as possible?

If not, where would you draw the line in society propping up those that may be inferior to others in a particular area?

Petrichor
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:43 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I don't have the genetics or youth to win an olympic twirly-baton-gymnastics thingy.

Should society provide me with every resource to bring as close to that level as possible?

If you can argue persuasively that winning an olympic twirly-baton-gymnastics thingy is a basic human right, absolutely!

P.S. You might find epigenetics more useful to informed debate in 2014.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that feminism in this country is utterly not needed any more.

I, and many others, have absolutely no sense of superiority over women whatsoever. The same goes for gays, ethnic minorities, etc.

The feminist campaign in this country is complete. The rest is just people getting shouty over a divide they're creating in their mind. Again the same goes for the ones who still champion things like 'black history week' and the likes. Some just love to maintain the 'us and them' attitude.

Petrichor
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:03 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy - I totally agree with you when it comes to comparing the UK to other places around the world.

But I think (and there's loads of research to show it) we've made massive progress in terms of blatant, explicit prejudice, but not so much on subtle, implicit forms.

Also, it's easy to say there's no prejudice from a position of traditional privilege (whatever that may be - class, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc.). When traditionally underprivileged groups say there's no prejudice any more, that's when I'll believe it.

Feminism has been hijacked/ misrepresented/ misunderstood as wanting to replace one form of oppression with another. That's obviously nonsense.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:40 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if it's just "basic human rights" that are an issue, which ones do women not have equal access to in the UK?
(I'm not sure watching a baseball game without paying by peeking over a fence is a 'basic human right', as in your informative picture!)
Which of those is it a case that they have BETTER access than men to?

Petrichor
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:52 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G - my 'informative picture' was obviously meant as an illustration of the difference between equality and equity. Most adults will be able to transfer that example to different relevant contexts.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJWIDF pls go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:59 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrichor wrote:
Most adults will be able to transfer that example to different relevant contexts.

Indeed, thus I'm sure you can easily answer the question of which 'basic human rights' women do not have equal access to.
And which of those they have BETTER access to than men?

Smile

Petrichor
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:16 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

QED.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:00 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Not really.

And a C- for effort - wasn't expect you to give up so easily! Smile

Is a "basic human right" where you draw the line, or is it further up towards having an equal opportunity towards said Olympic medal?
Benno This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrichor wrote:
G - my 'informative picture' was obviously meant as an illustration of the difference between equality and equity. Most adults will be able to transfer that example to different relevant contexts.

Going back to your informative picture...

All is great with your 'equity' until person number 4 comes along who is equally as 'vertically challenged' as the person on the right. Now, we have 3 boxes to share but need 5 to achieve equity.

Do we give person 4 one of person 3's boxes? In which case 2 people miss the game. What about when person 4 doesn't actually like baseball, but for the sake equity they get a box anyway?

'Equity' only works in a world of infinite resources and shared wants. G's point earlier was that not everyone can do everything they want, there are simply not enough resources.

Even if by some miracle you managed to get 'equity' to work you would have a world of mediocrity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrichor's profile wrote:
Late starter of the female variety.

Deeply saddened by the sexism on this forum and in the biking world.

So you've made it your holy mission to come along and force people in a small community to change their ways? Because that's so culturally aware, isn't it. If we were a bunch of isolated pacific islanders you wouldn't DARE question our culture, would you?

Beside, WHAT sexism? I know quite a few female bikers. There's some on this board. We all get on without giving a damn what genitals the other person has got. You are the one making it an issue, not us.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are none of those pikeys paying for a seat in the stands like everyone else who wants to watch the game? Of all the examples used to illustrate that point, why use one that demonstrates the most "equal" way to free-load from others?

If everyone thought "I'll just watch over the fence like", the stadium would never be built in the first place and there would be no fence to peek over.

https://i.imgur.com/wBOLa4s.png (NSFW)

Benno wrote:
Beside, WHAT sexism? I know quite a few female bikers. There's some on this board. We all get on without giving a damn what genitals the other person has got. You are the one making it an issue, not us.

Come on bro, you know the whole forum is a sexist pit of muh sojiny, that's why a good chunk of the well-respected long-standing members are female..... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by smegballs on 12:28 - 24 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6