Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why I am saying Goodbye to BCF before a proper Hello

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Random Banter by G (24 Mar 2014 - 20:39)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Petrichor
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:59 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Why I am saying Goodbye to BCF before a proper Hello Reply with quote

I grew up occasionally exposed to the stereotype of the dirty abusive biker. Years later, I met some bikers who became very good friends until life sent us in different directions. They showed me how stupid this stereotype (like all stereotypes) was. Well-read, dignified, funny, kind people.

I have finally got round to getting into biking myself - currently at the stage of getting ready for the CBT, trying to find my way around things, places and people. There is no actual biker I know personally at this point, so I've read a lot about bikes and biking on the web. I've been more and more disappointed to see just how little room there seems to be for women in biking - and I mean women who can see beyond pink Hello-Kitty jackets and a good shag.

Two weeks ago, I came across Biker Chat Forums and it looked like a nice, informative, friendly community. I created an account with a view to making friends, asking for advice and, eventually, offering in turn as much help as/ when I could. I posted a message asking for help with my first biking purchases. I was impressed with the kindness and patience with which several people responded (in particular Rogerborg and Wr6133, but also a few others).

Then I made the mistake (some might say) of posting in the Feminism thread a comment which was fair and necessary, on the difference between equality and equity. Some of the messages that followed were, like others in that thread and elsewhere on the forum, pretty sickening. I know better than to judge a whole community by a few bad apples. But life is too short and too painful to put up with things like this voluntarily:

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/benno.jpg

So this is my premature Goodbye to BCF. Warm regards to all the well-read, dignified, funny and kind people I haven't had a chance to interact with here!

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why you've made this post?

If you're expecting people to try and convince you to stay or apologise, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

Last edited by Az on 13:12 - 24 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:07 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the feminism thread, but your flounce is showing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:09 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, fuck off Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm famous Mr. Green

But you should know that it's rude to come to a community with a preconceived idea of how they behave and what they believe and then try and force them to change based on your misconception. Bikers are not sexist. Many bikers are female. We all get on just fine. Coming and telling us that we are privileged and sexist and need to change our ways is irritating and frankly quite offensive. Your FIRST POSTS on this forum were about bikers and sexism, and your profile says that you are upset at the amount of sexism in the biking world. YET you say in this OP that you DO NOT KNOW ANY BIKERS. Something fishy going on here?

Yes. What is going on is that you have been poisoned by a delusional ideology. Eschew the ideology and think for yourself, and realise that bikers are nice people with no inherent prejudices and welcome each and every person interested in becoming a motorcyclist. DO NOT assume that we are sexist philistines that need your enlightenment. We don't.

You should also know that I am a notorious autist and dickhead with a penchant for crude humour; like much of the internet. If you lack the resilience to deal with this then I suggest you stick to facebook and twitter where people can be arrested for saying mean things.

But hey, if you're that thin skinned...well, I've been rude enough already, but maybe you should buy some sudocrem Thumbs Up

Last edited by Benno on 13:13 - 24 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:12 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrichor wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/HR9vuEv.gif

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

https://i.imgur.com/VJ9xQzJ.jpg

GeorgeB.
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:13 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITT: Someone on the internet has a different opinion than me, therefore i'm butthurt and must ragequit.

If you can't take it when someone has a differing opinion to yours, no matter how they voice it, maybe this is a better place for you

Last edited by GeorgeB. on 13:18 - 24 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:15 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: Why I am saying Goodbye to BCF before a proper Hello Reply with quote

You won't be missed.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh noes! Someone is upset on BCF Crying or Very sad

Oh wait, I forgot that I don't give a fuck.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/jennagryph/macros/00018qqf.jpg

Benno
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait until this starts doing the rounds in the feminet. Obviously lacking context and being analysed from one (biased) perspective to whip the fem-masses up into an anti-patriarchical rage!

Remember sisters, disagreement is the source of all evils! Muh Hugbox! Muh Echochamber!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:27 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you a million quid that you've read posts by female members on here and not realised it. That's part of the point of equality... the ones who are truly equal don't say "I'm teh eQUALZ and I'm a WOMANZ too!"

They just get on with it, sans-chip on shoulder.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://genderben.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/148963.jpg

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j388/iZombieZ/131443075153-Abandon_thread_Jim.gif
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

fozzym
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:04 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about sexism on here, I'd guess there is some as there is in the real world.

What I really don't like is the fairly constant use of derogatary homosexual terms ie "gay" meaning bad and "faggot" ect ect. I guess I put up with it as in general this is a very good forum.

Thumbs Up
Speedfreak13 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:18 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedfreak13 wrote:
This place is full of complete tools to be fair to her most ride bikes that shouldn't be counted as bike!! All keyboard warriors!

Says you. Laughing

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benno wrote:
I'm famous

And a meany, a bully, a picker-oner, and a relatively noob too!!!
Are you a keyboard warrior or would you be bold enough to walk up to people at a meet and say hello... Question Laughing

Speedfreak13 wrote:
This place is full of complete tools

Oi! How would you know...have you spoken to all members?? In the, oooh... four days of membership?

Last edited by Clanger on 14:25 - 24 Mar 2014; edited 1 time in total

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwahahahahahahahahahahahhah

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

hahahahahahahahhahahaha

*breathes*

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

that is all..

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedfreak13 wrote:
This place is full of complete tools to be fair to her most ride bikes that shouldn't be counted as bike!! All keyboard warriors!

In your opinion.....in my opinion BCF has the widest range of knowledge of any forum I have ever frequented,from getting your bike fixed to getting your teeth fixed in my case,long live BCF and all its members.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: Why I am saying Goodbye to BCF before a proper Hello Reply with quote

Petrichor wrote:

Two weeks ago, I came across Biker Chat Forums and it looked like a nice, informative, friendly community.
I know better than to judge a whole community by a few bad apples. !

As you yourself have said , not all the apples in the barrel are bad.
You could always ignore the comments that you dont like.
Or you could grow a thicker hide and get stuck in ? you never know someone might even listen to what you have to say?
Or you can flounce out of here and tell the world what a horrid bunch we all are Rolling Eyes
Speedfreak13 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

TomReilly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:37 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Kittens

Obviously.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, who are either of these two people bitching?

If you don't like the form you don't have to come back, you don't have to make a thread about it either as by and large unless you've contributed a fair amount, people won't even notice.

TL;DR calm down, it's just the internet. Thumbs Up

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 24 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, I haven't seen any of your posts, but to be fair - if you're easily offended was it really a good idea to enter into a debate about feminism, you're bound to get horrified by someones opinion sooner or later if you're easily offended. As you said yourself theres plenty of helpful friendly people on here with lots of valuable advice - your loss if you flounce into the sunset after 5 minutes to be perfectly honest.

Speedfreak13 wrote:
Speak for yourself Rolling Eyes

Last edited by -Matt- on 14:40 - 24 Mar 2014; edited 2 times in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12