Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

my first track day

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Racing & Trackdays by G (20 Mar 2014 - 22:46)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Random13
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:53 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: my first track day Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am doing my first bike track day. Can you please let me know what I should expect ?

I read on lyden hill website that I should have a full leather gear . My jacket and trouser are both leather 360 zip around.
my boots are spada
and gloves pretty cheap ones on ebay (£30).

Would I be allowed in considering I don't have leather boots and gloves ?

In terms of riding improvements etc, are they any good ?
I am thinking of doing the california school but it is £400 so thought I do few track days and try to get some of the concepts before doing that .

so overall appreciate your comment on track days and what i should expect .

I will be a novice, so would I be sent out with novice ? it wouldn't be racing , would it ? rather crusing .

many thanks

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:03 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not racing, but there will be people pushing their bikes more than they have done previously.

When are you doing it at Lydden Hill? I'm not too far away and need to stretch my bikes legs. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Random13
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:12 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

14th April probably.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't go out there with textile gloves and I don't think they would let you. However, some track day operators are more lax than others. Loads of race style boots aren't leather so wouldn't worry about that.

This may be received with calls of "Just get out there and MTFU" but why don't you look at a novice only track day for your first one? MSV run them at Brands, £135 for the day. Supposed to be smaller numbers in groups, instructors there, cones to help you find the lines... etc.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good way to improve machine control and really makes you appreciate the skill of fast riders.

Gloves and boots must be leather.

Also, you could do 3 trackdays for the cost of CSS - Just buy "A twist of the wrist II" and read/apply that.

Infact, pm me your email address and I'll PDF a copy to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Random13
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:19 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much garth, I have a pdf copy of it Smile
Also seen the youtube video

I have a restricted license and the only place I can go it lyden hill.
The restriction is taken off in May so can do a novice only course then at brands hatch .

would there be instructors on site to help you on normal track days ?

in terms of bags and stuff, where do you put them ?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure non-msv tracks are fine on 33bhp, so you should be ok at a few.

If you're riding to the circuit just leave bags with someone that has a van. Most people are friendly enough.

I've not done a trackday at Lydden, I believe they self run. Most normal trackdays have instructors.

What bike are you on and how are your tyres?

Random13
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:50 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyres are dunlop and bike sv650

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:42 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be better for you to read the Trackday faq in the Racing and Trackdays forum:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=57514

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should expect to have a lot of fun. Albeit not too much fun; you're riding an SV650.

You're going out on a surface you KNOW has been checked, and is intended for going fast on. You can push your bike further than you ever have on the corners - and brake as heavy as you like.

It's pretty awesome.

Past: CB125TDC | TZR125 | GPZ500 | CBR600F3 | ZX9-R | GSXR1000 K4

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at doing my first track day this year or next.

Mostly for the fun of it, the thrill of going fast, improving, learning to push the limits further.

But also i don't know in myself what my bike is actually capable of. I want to get the confidence to KNOW that my bike and I can take a corner like that at 50mph if I suddenly find myself misjudging a bend on the road.

So the second thing for me with track day would be machine control and improving as a road rider. (Also why I want to do some off road biking too, learn about controlling the bike in low grip situations)

What are your boots and gloves? Any pictures, you might be able to get away with them, you might have to use some others so would be an idea to at least borrow some if you don't want to buy any until you know if yours are suitable or not.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:15 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorty wrote:
You're going out on a surface you KNOW has been checked, and is intended for going fast on.

Have you seen Lydden Laughing
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:

Mostly for the fun of it, the thrill of going fast, improving, learning to push the limits further.

But also i don't know in myself what my bike is actually capable of. I want to get the confidence to KNOW that my bike and I can take a corner like that at 50mph if I suddenly find myself misjudging a bend on the road.

So the second thing for me with track day would be machine control and improving as a road rider. (Also why I want to do some off road biking too, learn about controlling the bike in low grip situations)
Second this in every respect. However fast you can get on the odd quiet long 'private road' having the freedom of a track I expect will be great to really push the bike - and cornering especially, like you say with tight roads and potential traffic/things obscuring the view - having a free clear track to corner at speed would be a totally new experience.

Just a little cautious for fear of binning the bike during this 'experimenting' Laughing [although Paddy has kindly offered to provide his track-bike potentially Karma] so will stock the piggy bank with a replacement fund just in case Shifty

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
Ben-B wrote:

Second this in every respect. However fast you can get on the odd quiet long 'private road' having the freedom of a track I expect will be great to really push the bike - and cornering especially, like you say with tight roads and potential traffic/things obscuring the view - having a free clear track to corner at speed would be a totally new experience.

Just a little cautious for fear of binning the bike during this 'experimenting' Laughing [although Paddy has kindly offered to provide his track-bike potentially Karma] so will stock the piggy bank with a replacement fund just in case Shifty

Yeah that would be my only worry is damaging my bike. If you come off on a track and you don't hit anything and nothing hits you, you're unlikely to be hurt any more than feeling a bit sore and bruises. The bike on the other hand could end up quite a bit worse.

I've got a friend who now races competitively, but before he started he did Chris Walker race school and didn't crash, even when he completely fubar'd a corner and ended up on the damp grass at 80+ mph. He kept it shiny side up. Can be harder to crash on track than people realise.

Saw a video article done by Niall Mackenzie I think it was, and he was demonstrating on a damp track with slicks how you could brake so hard into a corner that the rear wheel was completely airborne and the bike had quite a bit of lean angle. Progressiveness was the key apparently. Fully load up the front suspension so all the weight is on the front tyre and it'll grip much more than usual. He said most lowsides are due to snatching the front brake and locking it before the weight has a chance to fully transfer.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the main reason i've avoided it so far - I did even look into track insurance for me and bike - considering the cost, as you say serious personal injury is probably less likely than road riding unless you go at it like a lunatic, so I wouldn't feel the need to go for that personally [was costly though].

Track day bike insurance made the entire plan unaffordable for me as it stands - not sure if its an age thing or just generally its considered high risk/damage costs compared to road insurance, but I certainly won't be insuring a track bike anytime remotely soon Laughing

Left me with no options besides taking a gamble. As each year goes by i'm more and more tempted to risk it but i'd be royally screwed if I totalled my bike somehow Neutral

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:42 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said Matt, if you are down this way and fancy Lydden/Brands, you are welcome to take the Thundercat.

I'll probably give the Blackbird a go round... Laughing

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 20 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
This is the main reason i've avoided it so far - I did even look into track insurance for me and bike - considering the cost, as you say serious personal injury is probably less likely than road riding unless you go at it like a lunatic, so I wouldn't feel the need to go for that personally [was costly though].

Track day bike insurance made the entire plan unaffordable for me as it stands - not sure if its an age thing or just generally its considered high risk/damage costs compared to road insurance, but I certainly won't be insuring a track bike anytime remotely soon Laughing

Left me with no options besides taking a gamble. As each year goes by i'm more and more tempted to risk it but i'd be royally screwed if I totalled my bike somehow Neutral

Yup hence me hoping I'll somehow have the money to get a second bike before I get serious with track days. Although I have a car so wouldn't be screwed if I trashed the bike, it's obviously not something I'd want and would be pretty upset about it.

I'll have to convince my friend its in his interest to let me take his SV650 race bike round a track day. Would work well cos he'd be in the fast session and I'd be in novice so we'd never miss out on any sessions by sharing
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:20 - 11 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Crash it, you buy it.

But no seriously, I can have it "ready to race" in a few hours Thumbs Up

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 12 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Very good way to improve machine control and really makes you appreciate the skill of fast riders.

Gloves and boots must be leather.

Also, you could do 3 trackdays for the cost of CSS - Just buy "A twist of the wrist II" and read/apply that.

Infact, pm me your email address and I'll PDF a copy to you.

Or download it from here.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=286410
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1