Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

hornet 600 changing wheel sizes. discs question...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: hornet 600 changing wheel sizes. discs question... Reply with quote

So ages ago I bought a 17" front with no discs for the hornet, hoping the discs I have would fit. The hornet has sp1 calipers and discs and are absolutely amazing so don't need to change them and would like to do so without having to buy new discs.

I have swapped a disc over and the bolt holes are flush and sits absolutely perfectly, but there is a small gap been the inner disc ring and the wheel hub. Is this an issue, or since the disc is held by the bolts does it not matter? My mind is saying it's fine and a couple of friends believe so too, but would like confirmation from those that do know. The gap itself is like 3/4mm thick.

Like I said, the disc suits flush to the bolts and there is no forcing of trying to get the bolts in at funny angles.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152007386996615&id=509016614&set=a.123403386614.118940.509016614&source=46

That's the link to my Fb, I can't get the url the picture from phone which frustrating...
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture not available.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing seems to be working... I've uploaded it now.
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.hondahornet.org.uk/

Quite a few people have done it. I haven't, but may do one day.

IIRC it needs the fireblade discs or spacers or something or other. Not just a straight swap.

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 16" Discs do not fit the 17".

17" wheel and discs are a direct swap for the 16" using the original spacers.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnPhonEh is correct.

https://www.hondahornet.org.uk/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=30744

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 18 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the discs do fit...

The discs have two separate bolt hole sets. One set fits the 16 front and the other fits the 17 front.

Like I said before, the current brake set up on my hornet isn't stock.

I'll upload pictures tomorrow of the discs alone, on the 16" and the 17"...

The current picture is the discs on the 17" wheel...

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a disc with that many holes in them before?
Maybe not OEM?
The problem with the 16>17 discs is that the bolt holes didn't line up.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see what you mean now. Erm you could get an engineering place to knock you out a spigot ring so the disc centre bore fits flush.

If you fit wheels to a car where the wheel has a bigger centre bore than the hub on the car, you can bolt the wheel up and it'll appear to be a perfectly solid fit. But when the car gets going above 40mph you get all manner of horrendous handling and vibration.

I fear there is a chance you may get some brake chatter, but can't say for certain

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:22 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnPhonEh wrote:
Never seen a disc with that many holes in them before?
Maybe not OEM?
The problem with the 16>17 discs is that the bolt holes didn't line up.

No they are not OEM. I've stated that twice now! First line of my first post and the post before this...

And yeah I know about the holes lining up. Can't say I've seen discs like that either, but it looks standard, rather than having been drilled by someone? Even if so... couldn't be more accurate!

LlamaFarmer wrote:
Ah I see what you mean now. Erm you could get an engineering place to knock you out a spigot ring so the disc centre bore fits flush.

If you fit wheels to a car where the wheel has a bigger centre bore than the hub on the car, you can bolt the wheel up and it'll appear to be a perfectly solid fit. But when the car gets going above 40mph you get all manner of horrendous handling and vibration.

I fear there is a chance you may get some brake chatter, but can't say for certain

Interesting. Any idea why? I can kind of see it with a wheel to a hub... but not so on discs to the wheel. With the weight of the car pushing down on the wheels it'll be "resting" on the bolts, rather than the hub.

With discs, you're just braking and no weight is applied to them in the same manner as a wheel is. It would only have the forces acting from slowing the wheels down which would act clockwise on the bolts, so don't see how having a flush fit would change anything as it would simply "rotate" on the hub. (If it wasn't bolted on...) Meh. Probably wrong.

I guess I'll have to test it, luckily there's an actual private road just outside my house Laughing I have tested it but only gone up to 20/25 and felt mega.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0l0t0v wrote:

LlamaFarmer wrote:

Interesting. Any idea why? I can kind of see it with a wheel to a hub... but not so on discs to the wheel. With the weight of the car pushing down on the wheels it'll be "resting" on the bolts, rather than the hub.

With discs, you're just braking and no weight is applied to them in the same manner as a wheel is. It would only have the forces acting from slowing the wheels down which would act clockwise on the bolts, so don't see how having a flush fit would change anything as it would simply "rotate" on the hub. (If it wasn't bolted on...) Meh. Probably wrong.

I guess I'll have to test it, luckily there's an actual private road just outside my house Laughing I have tested it but only gone up to 20/25 and felt mega.

Yeah you may be absolutely fine with it, as like you say they're not weight bearing.

Haven't heard of anyone coming across it before...

Did they fit perfectly with the 16" front wheel? It's odd because I thought the 16" and 17" discs were exactly the same, except for the bolt holes.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, absolutely perfect.

From what I remember, people said my calipers and discs were sp1. I'll post pictures up later. Definitely not hornet brakes.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could be VTR1000 (RC51/SP1) brakes, or they could be VTR1000 (F/Firestorm) brakes, I think they were a bit different.

I know that since you can swap the Firestorm wheels onto a Hornet, you may find they're from that if not an SP1.

I think Hornet and Firestorm both have 296mm discs but different callipers. SP1 has something like 320mm discs, but callipers may be the same on SP1 as on the Firestorm, they certainly look similar.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are SP1. I remember now. At least the calipers are.

The original calipers that were on there were so fucked (pistons, seals, etc) and it worked out cheaper to buy a refurbed set from ebay rather than all the parts for it, which I did and was a direct replacement. Distinctly remember buying SP1 calipers.

Right, gonna go out now and get some proper pictures.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0l0t0v wrote:
They are SP1. I remember now. At least the calipers are.

The original calipers that were on there were so fucked (pistons, seals, etc) and it worked out cheaper to buy a refurbed set from ebay rather than all the parts for it, which I did and was a direct replacement. Distinctly remember buying SP1 calipers.

Right, gonna go out now and get some proper pictures.

So SP1 callipers and pads are a direct fit to the Hornet forks/caliper-to-fork bracket? This is interesting/exciting news.

However the SP1 discs are a direct fit for the 16" hornet wheel... but not the 17" hornet wheel. This is less exciting.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaFarmer wrote:

So SP1 callipers and pads are a direct fit to the Hornet forks/caliper-to-fork bracket? This is interesting/exciting news.

However the SP1 discs are a direct fit for the 16" hornet wheel... but not the 17" hornet wheel. This is less exciting.

Not quite... The front forks aren't stock either. The mount point for the calipers are slightly different...

Considering I bought this hornet for £425, it's got some really good bits! Just needed TLC here and there. Spent £1200, including buying it, tax, mot and insurance for 2 years... (Chain and sprockets, battery, tyres, etc) I've replaced the clutch, clutch cable, speedo cables, wiring loom, reg/rec. (Had lots of spares from my previous one...)

Anyways, here are the pictures.

Discs that came with this hornet on left, stock Hornet disc on right. They are the same size, just the left has more bolt holes... And looks prettier.

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k379/mvarcris/20140419_171539_zpsbc8uo6qn.jpg

Discs on old wheel (OEM)

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k379/mvarcris/20140419_171623_zpsju8qlktk.jpg

OEM discs on new wheel, clearly doesn't fit

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k379/mvarcris/20140419_171712_zpsfuc4bjvi.jpg

Comparing the two brake calipers. Look at the mounting bolts for the calipers as well. Different to OEM forks. Not sure where these forks came from... Always thought they were OEM till I noticed that.

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k379/mvarcris/20140419_173240_zpstwz9f00g.jpg

SP1 calipers and Hornet calipers

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k379/mvarcris/20140419_173213_zpsqbn3rcji.jpg

Pretty sure the front wheel I've got is a VTR one ... It's definitely not a Hornet one.

MG
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:18 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaFarmer wrote:
Did they fit perfectly with the 16" front wheel? It's odd because I thought the 16" and 17" discs were exactly the same, except for the bolt holes.

In the forum post you linked to above, he mentions and you can see that the I/D is different. Looks like the aftermarket discs that OP has are designed for both wheels, and I'd chance it and say that the disc will be fine even without touching the spigot.

I know it's not exactly motorbike related, but mountain bike discs don't have locating rings - just 6 bolts.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG wrote:
LlamaFarmer wrote:

In the forum post you linked to above, he mentions and you can see that the I/D is different. Looks like the aftermarket discs that OP has are designed for both wheels, and I'd chance it and say that the disc will be fine even without touching the spigot.

So he does. Yeah the discs themselves aren't weight bearing, unlike a car wheel. And OP has been on a test run with no adverse handling or feeling so sounds like its ok

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0l0t0v wrote:
LlamaFarmer wrote:

Not quite... The front forks aren't stock either. The mount point for the calipers are slightly different...

Considering I bought this hornet for £425, it's got some really good bits! Just needed TLC here and there. Spent £1200, including buying it, tax, mot and insurance for 2 years... (Chain and sprockets, battery, tyres, etc) I've replaced the clutch, clutch cable, speedo cables, wiring loom, reg/rec. (Had lots of spares from my previous one...)

Pretty sure the front wheel I've got is a VTR one ... It's definitely not a Hornet one.

Could be that you have Firestorm fork bottoms... I believe they are the same diameter as the Hornet, so a VTR "total front bottom end" could be a direct swap in that case.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my Hornet, probably won't ever be worth much if I sell or trade it, and its my first bike so got that sentimental value where its worth more to me keeping it than it is selling it to someone else. So thinking about various things I can do to it over the years if I do indeed keep it.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is my second Hornet...

My first big bike was a Hornet too and it was a thing of beauty...

I still have it.... But it's in pieces!

Also, there is an easier way to change the 16" front... Guy on the hornet forum did say you can literally just use 17" wheel and discs. As long as they are Hornet ones. Use the same spacers and spindle. It's in the 599/600 "how it's done" section or whatever.

If you want uprated calipers however, then you need different forks/plates made up!

If you need any bits, let me know. I got plenty Laughing And I've done a lot of work on both of mine... So excited to get back on it! Mr. Green

kestrel
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:27 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaFarmer wrote:

So he does. Yeah the discs themselves aren't weight bearing, unlike a car wheel. And OP has been on a test run with no adverse handling or feeling so sounds like its ok

The discs may not be 'weight bearing' but they are subject to braking forces which are attempting to pull them off centre. The close fit between a disc centre hole and the wheel spigot is to ensure that the disc remains co-axial with the wheel during braking, thus ensuring that the forces absorbed by the disc are evenly distributed between the mounting bolts.
Find a set of discs that fit then make caliper adaptors if required.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those discs are fine.

In fact they are made by ABE and are designed to be interchangeable between the two Honda types. The centre part not being a snug fit is also fine, they are designed that way.

If you have any doubts give Nick a call and he will confirm what I have said.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

m0l0t0v wrote:
Well this is my second Hornet...

My first big bike was a Hornet too and it was a thing of beauty...

I still have it.... But it's in pieces!

Also, there is an easier way to change the 16" front... Guy on the hornet forum did say you can literally just use 17" wheel and discs. As long as they are Hornet ones. Use the same spacers and spindle. It's in the 599/600 "how it's done" section or whatever.

If you want uprated calipers however, then you need different forks/plates made up!

If you need any bits, let me know. I got plenty Laughing And I've done a lot of work on both of mine... So excited to get back on it! Mr. Green

Karma Cheers bud, I'll have to see what plans are and what order I wanna do things, won't really get started on it until at least next year as I go back to New Zealand again for around 6 months later this year.

17" front wheel is the obvious first choice, but then if its possible to do brake upgrade to SP1 by using different forks, then maybe thats the job to do in one go, improve fork internals, SP1 brakes and 17" wheel all in one go.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:16 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Those discs are fine.

In fact they are made by ABE and are designed to be interchangeable between the two Honda types. The centre part not being a snug fit is also fine, they are designed that way.

If you have any doubts give Nick a call and he will confirm what I have said.

Yeah I noticed the ABE marking. Cheers Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1