Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Project Electric (Push) Bike - Now With Video

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Bit of an update.

Have the batteries rebuilt to an acceptable level.

Out of the batch I bought, and didn't fuck up, about 30% were perfect batteries. They lost about 0.05V over 3 weeks. About 60% were OK they lost about 0.2V over 3 weeks and the rest were scrap.

But I now have another problem. The motor has decided to not run properly. To make it work I have to press the Chinese labelled switches (I have no idea what any of them do) then when I turn the throttle it will quickly spin up for about half a second then looses all power. I then have to press one the the switches twice and it will do the same again.

Here is a video:

https://s1135.photobucket.com/user/Biles/media/EBike/VID_20140322_162716_zpse33feed4.mp4.html

This is me pressing the button then giving throttle until it dies, it will then do nothing until I double press the button again.

All the hall sensors seem to be working correctly and im pretty sure the phase wires are correct.

If anyone has any ideas I will give it a go, I've have pretty much exhausted all of mine.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Alive!

I have a video of me testing it on the floor which I will put up when it uploads.

I managed to fit all the batteries and controller in to a shoulder bag and then began my maiden voyage.

Unfortunately the maiden voyage consisted of me flying into a wall at 20mph. Laughing

I definitely misjudged the amount of go it would have off the line. I didn't have a chain or rear brake fitted and was just expecting it to bog seeing as they aren't suppose to be brilliant from a stand still.

However it just wheelied me towards a nearby wall, and with no back brake there wasn't much I could do. Laughing

Got a bit of road rash on my hand and arm but bike wasn't damaged. So I got back on and took it for a couple of mile trip. So far I am very happy. Managed to pull 2479W from the batteries without anything setting on fire. I don't think it was useful power though, just me giving it a load of throttle up a hill.

When I get all the batteries and controller mounted properly I will try and get a video up.

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:59 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds ace! Look forward to more info Thumbs Up

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 18 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video after I got the controller to work.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 18 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, it really doesn't look like that wheel is paticuarly well balanced......

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 18 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:
I have to say, it really doesn't look like that wheel is paticuarly well balanced......

It is balanced just a flat 2.35" tyre hitting the stays. Laughing

But its not particularly well centred at the moment. Haven't decided if I want to space it or dish it yet though.
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the use of an angle grinder and some MIG wire I managed to turn the derailleur I had into a chain tensioner.

Holds the chain pretty well however I can only use 2 gears, in the lowest gear the front derailleur hits the tyre. This means I will probably end up dishing the wheel rather than spacing it.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_20140422_153026_zps6wcstpjk.jpg

As you can see the chain is relativity straight. Laughing

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_20140422_153700_zpsicpofauh.jpg

I then done a test fit of all the bits and bobs on the bike.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_20140422_182602_1_zpsnfcft5r9.jpg

Seems to all fit in quite well, will need to make up some brackets to hold it all, whilst keeping it all easy to remove. I was expecting it to take up more space so quite happy with it.

Total weight is 26.5kg. Not to bad, however nearly all of it is on the back wheel so makes the handling a bit odd while accelerating and going over bumps.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:05 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be good for wheelies, however Smile. My electric bike has the hub motor at the front. Balances out the heavy lead acid batteries at the back well enough.

Also, 2 wheel drive, technically Smile.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Should be good for wheelies, however Smile. My electric bike has the hub motor at the front. Balances out the heavy lead acid batteries at the back well enough.

Also, 2 wheel drive, technically Smile.

How much does yours weigh running Lead Acid? What power you running?

The motor is by far the heaviest thing on this bike so without hanging the batteries off the front wheel, there isn't much I can do about the weight distribution. And I think doing that would have greater negative effects than having it like it is at the minute.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that you can't get a rear wheel motor with a 5speed hub fitted inside, as then you could bin the front and rear shift mech, and run a lighter crank with a single chain ring.

I've ridden a bike with a front hub motor and it does feel a little weird TBH. I would think the steering and drive feels better with a rear mounted motor, but maybe getting the batteries and controller as far forward as possible would help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:27 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on weight - it's not a light bike to start with.

I haven't got it with me to check, I'm afraid; though may be bringing it down soon.

It's a 500w motor. Does take a little while to get used to the sensation of the front 'pulling'.

I was checking out mid mounted motors at the weekend - some nice kits out there now. I'd always had that in the back of my mind for the Carrera Banshee that I sorted out again the other day.

Unfortunately some seem to sit quite low.
I reckon around 1kw with a smallish battery pack would make sense - low enough power to not need extra cooling and keeping it all fairly light - have a swap-in spare battery pack or two waiting.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2 of this will definitely have a centrally mounted motor. Without a machine shop though it seems to be very hard to mount one with any decent power. If I cant find anything when I get round to it, I will probably just make this a 5Kw 2 wheel drive.

I've been looking at maybe getting a small (maybe 5Ah) high discharge pack which I can carry around for hooning, and LifePo4 cells seem to be falling a bit at the moment but >£200 is still a bit expensive for my liking.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:50 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, when you start to get over 2500-3000w, push bike drive chains and so on are likely to start failing fairly quickly.

You're getting into motorcycle territory and so I'd be tempted to then bump up the chassis - something like a CR85 is a 'full size' chassis that could take a load of power and you should be able to make it lighter than the original if intended for circuits where you can come back and swap batteries etc, rather than distance work needing a big expensive battery.
Also easily get tyres that can make full use of the power you're dumping and suspension that can take proper-big hits.

For tarmac use though, high power twin hub motors, non-suspension with pretty fat tyres would certainly be 'interesting' I reckon.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 22 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
From what I've seen, when you start to get over 2500-3000w, push bike drive chains and so on are likely to start failing fairly quickly.

Hardly surprising, since that's more than moped power, and between 5 and 10 times normal pedal power depending on who is pedaling.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be 3.5-4bhp in a mountain bike! Shocked

Crazy shit!

Can you even get light enough batteries that can supply enough useful power for the current a 4bhp motor would draw?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:33 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Can you even get light enough batteries that can supply enough useful power for the current a 4bhp motor would draw?

Yes, basically.
Modern lithium batteries can have some very respectable 'C' values.

I kinda like the idea of adding some ultra capacitors to boost instant power, however it's quite likely you'd want to be using that sort of power continuously.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Batteries aren't the limiting factor really.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread you can now get 80C LiPo's.

That means if I had my current pack built from these it would be able to put out about 2200A without killing the batteries (ignore the fact that the connectors would set on fire Laughing ). Thats 105kW (140hp) which I think shows that the batteries aren't the limiting factor.

Last edited by Aff on 10:57 - 26 Apr 2014; edited 3 times in total

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of updates:

Put a disk on the rear wheel. Need some new bolts, the holes in the motor aren't drilled deep enough. I've spaced them out at the moment, but it makes them very close to the phase/hall wires.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0435_zpsfbb3f7d5.jpg

Also Decided I would make a torque arm. Card template:

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0436_zpsa0854aad.jpg

The only metal I had around was a bit of 3mm Ally, so I made it out of this. I will use it as a template to make a steel one when I get hold of a bit of stainless sheet.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0437_zpsd165ed91.jpg

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0438_zpsd69ea0cb.jpg

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it for its first proper test ride tonight. Was aiming to do a few hills and some speed runs on the flat.

Ended up doing 27 miles with an average speed of 25.5. Laughing

This was all around town and up steep hills with me gunning it everywhere. I was thoroughly impressed with the performance. It easily held 30mph on the flat. Hit over 45 down a small hill on motor power only.

My gearing is pretty useless. I spin out at about 21mph. So that was 27miles pretty much only on motor power with lots of stop start.

Peak Amps were 52:

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/IMG_20140424_200631_zps4e9fttxe.jpg

And used 16.3 Ah to do these 27 miles:

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_20140424_200618_zpsfobgaj9f.jpg

This was getting close to the most it could give. The motor was starting to cut out due to voltage drop hitting the lower limit under load, as you can see hit 39V Which is pretty dead for LiIons:

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_20140424_200622_zpstpkja6f1.jpg

I know I could definitely get more mileage out of it very easily. Like I said I was full throttle everywhere, if I used it as a pedal assist and cruised around at 20 I could get some decent range (this probably will never happen Laughing ).

I also need to sort the weight distribution. The handling at speed is actually quite good. But the suspension is topping out over every bump. Its very annoying.

Peaked at about 2200W, I think this was actually useful power this time.

All the cells were within 0.05V after the run which is very good.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 26 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took a bit of video of me riding around town last night. Unfortunately the light means you can't see the speedo very well and Youtube seems to have done a number on the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxu8mp9x8EY

Also as you can probably hear, I have seriously fucked my front brake. It massively overheated, now my lever goes all the way to the bar and the disk and pads are glazed. I will upgrade to a bigger disk, or one of those shimano heat dissipating set ups.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 10 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made myself a paper template for the battery support/bag thing. Will get it made out of something fireproof to protect the nads.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_20140510_162604_1_zpsddqpvr6c.jpg

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 11 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pleased to hear that you where going to fit a cut out board, but I am yet to see it! Also you're very brave tagging batteries on your own!! Did you have a plan in case one went 'hot'?

Cool project though Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9