Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Self Inflating Mat

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Self Inflating Mat Reply with quote

Wotcha

My self inflating mat died last year, I'll be having a bash at repairs but think it's time to retire it. Looking around, I can't quite find one that fits the criteria I'm after :-

Wider than 51cm, preferably 60cm
3cm or thicker
3/4 length

Anything wider than 51cm aren't more than 3cm thick, or are full length and take up a ton of space packed.

Something like the Thermarest TrailLite is close, just wider and shorter would be nice.

So, peeps of BCF, anyone know of a mat that is 60cm wide, 120cm long, 4cm deep and packs down to the size of a coke can? Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't, but my Exped Syn-Mat is not far off. It packs down to around a foot length. It cost £70. My last one lasted 8 years (down-filled, the valves gave out in the end). New one has different system of pumping in and letting out air.

It doesn't self-inflate either, but doesn't take long to pump up manually. It weighs practically nothing.

I love it, I am so glad I spent the cash on a decent mat. I no longer feel cold from the ground, and my sleeping bag doesn't slide off it either. Thumbs Up

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vango short any good?

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/sleeping-mats/1281-trek-short.html

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I've been finding - the Synmat UL 7S and that Trek are both close, but no banana in the width department.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:54 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, my therm-a-rest has wildly exceeded my expectations.

My current one is 15 years old now, I camp a hell of a lot and it is the one piece of camping equipment which has gone everywhere with me. It no longer self-inflates past halfway but otherwise it's tip-top.

Utterly sold on the brand, if and when mine lets go, it will be replaced with another of the same brand, money no object.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:03 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: Self Inflating Mat Reply with quote

I'd go for one of these:
https://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-mats/sleepzone1

I've got a bit older version and it's the most comfy mat I've had.

I use it an a half-sleeping bag which has a slot on the bottom so it only has filling on the top - meaning you don't come off the mat and don't have unneeded filling being squashed below you.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Thermarest TrailLite womens, because it was 60% off and the "unisex" was full price. Was told in the camping shop the only difference is the womens is slightly shorter and a bit more padded and warmer.

Can't fault it, although hardly ever use it

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

For a few years I used the Thermarest ( I still have it ) then I opted for the Alpkit . . . the "Fat Airic" . . . which they seem to have stopped making.
<< looks at website >> Seem the "Dozer" is the replacement . . . which is marked as sold out.

Ah well - I tried Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: Self Inflating Mat Reply with quote

G wrote:
I'd go for one of these:
https://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-mats/sleepzone1

I've got a bit older version and it's the most comfy mat I've had.

I use it an a half-sleeping bag which has a slot on the bottom so it only has filling on the top - meaning you don't come off the mat and don't have unneeded filling being squashed below you.

I've got an Alpkit Base 180 and love it. But they've discontinued all of their mats until next summer for some bizarre reason. Sad

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one of these,

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ultralite-3-4-p292657

the definition of 3/4 isn't very generous though. but it was cheap, and goes very small

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest I can get is this:

https://www.multimat.uk.com/store/products/summit-compact-38

For the spec Shaggy wants it's a bit of a self inflating goose chase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
Got one of these,

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ultralite-3-4-p292657

the definition of 3/4 isn't very generous though. but it was cheap, and goes very small

Aye, it was one of those that started my quest. In the shop it seemed OK for the price, just wanted a bit more depth and a bit more width.

Quote:
For the spec Shaggy wants it's a bit of a self inflating goose chase.

A man can dream... Smile

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
That's what I've been finding - the Synmat UL 7S and that Trek are both close, but no banana in the width department.

SynMat 7 LW
Size: 197 x 65cm / 77.5 x 26"
Thickness: 7 cm / 2.8"
Weight: 1100 g / 38.8 oz
Packed: 27 x 15 cm / 10.6 x 6"
Temperature: -17°C / 1°F
Filling: Texpedloft Microfiber.
R-value: 4.9

SynMat 9 LW
Size: 197 x 65 cm / 77.5 x 26"
Thickness: 9 cm / 3.5"
Weight: 1170 g / 41 oz
Packed: 27 x 16cm / 10.6 x 6.3"
Temperatur: -25°C / -13°F
Filling: Texpedloft Microfiber.
R-value: 6.0

Both these are wider than the SynMat 7 I have.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:16 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

But not 3/4 length.

motobiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:28 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
But not 3/4 length.

You want a 'decent' sleeping mat thats 4 feet long? Shocked

nearest one that I would recommend is 52x163 - thats 5'1 long.

Shorter than that and 'wide' - try the boy scouts shop - they *might* do children's sizes.. for (overweight) junior school kids. but i wouldn't bet on it.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 18 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wee update, since my attempt at repairs failed miserably (the rubber chunk where the valve is seated had pretty much disintegrated) I needed to get something for sleeping on last night. Loaded the bike up and bought one of these for £20 whilst on the way out of town :-

https://www.best-buys.co.uk/camping/self-inflating-mats/vango-trek-standard-sleeping-mat.html

Packs down to the same size as the Multimat compact they were selling, but full length. Surprisingly comfortable, the extra 5mm over my previous mat couldn't have made that much difference, but maybe the quality of the foam is better. Now I just need a new sleeping bag, my current one is about 20 years old Smile

Whilst I'm at it, I can recommend a Vango self inflating pillow :-

https://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Vango/SelfInflatingPillow-Black.aspx

Much comfier than rolling your jeans up and sticking them in a T-shirt, and way comfier than the blowup one I got from Poundland Smile

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 18 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Much comfier than rolling your jeans up and sticking them in a T-shirt, and way comfier than the blowup one I got from Poundland Smile

Pillow looks good actually, how big is it when compressed? Dimensions are about the size of a normal pillow when inflated?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 18 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaFarmer wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Pillow looks good actually, how big is it when compressed? Dimensions are about the size of a normal pillow when inflated?

When inflated, it's about 20" x 12" - fully inflated it's about 4-5" thick in the middle, but then it's like sleeping with your head on a rugby ball. Found it best to inflate it past the point where air blows back when you stop, then let it settle, then do the valve up. It's firm yet malleable when your head is on it, then. Packed it's about 10" inches by 4" diameter.

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 18 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Packed it's about 10" inches by 4" diameter.

Is this a typo shaggy? that's bigger than my packed inflatable mat

https://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/sleeping-pads/static-v.html

I'm gonna take a closer look at the Vango pillow, looks good, I would dearly like this,
but the price ......oucha oucha.

https://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/pillows-and-chairs/pillow-x.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 18 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No typo.

pyx_e
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 18 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 3/4 but I know you like lidl:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-7AF5ED6D-28CC9AFB/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=12534

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 19 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyx_e wrote:

Or aldi..

Mat:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-22nd-may/product-detail/ps/p/self-inflating-mat-1/

Pillow: https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-22nd-may/product-detail/ps/p/self-inflating-pillow/
Hamish Healys This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 11 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamish Healys wrote:
The last time we went camping, we had our therm-a-rest and they worked just fine. You might want to check this out.

Check what out ?

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 11 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

delsol wrote:
Hamish Healys wrote:
The last time we went camping, we had our therm-a-rest and they worked just fine. You might want to check this out.

Check what out ?

therm-a-rest I think
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2