BCF: Bike Chat Forums

fork swap ground clearance problem pls help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rake will make it very twitchy. A couple of spacers over the springs will stiffen up the front end and raise it a bit but not 4 inches.

ninoBFU
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I wouldn't want to extend the forks if lets say 3" if it would alter the steering and make it as you say lazy..twitchy........I don't know...

The marving 4 into 1 has flat collectors and that might increase the ground clearance. But it's a bit dear at £330 ....
<a href="https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=3879192#3879192/">My GSX 750 1981 Cafe Racer Project build</a>

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my mind a 4 into 2 system, scooping around the bottom of the engine on each side would look really good, allow you to keep the forks and probably be no more expensive than having other bits custom made in the end anyway.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
In my mind a 4 into 2 system, scooping around the bottom of the engine on each side would look really good, allow you to keep the forks and probably be no more expensive than having other bits custom made in the end anyway.

Do you consider crashing when going around corners do to the system grounding out a disadvantage or the in excess of £1K bill for the building of this system a problem?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:43 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go smashing my daydreaming with your logical arguments of economics and functionality, looking cool is the important factor here don'cha know!?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Don't go smashing my daydreaming with your logical arguments of economics and functionality, looking cool is the important factor here don'cha know!?

Just think how cool it would look with burns to the legs from the exhaust.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Just think how cool it would look with burns to the legs from the exhaust.

Chicks dig scars.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
Chicks dig scars.

But do they like digging burnt leather out of burnt flesh?

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit 19 inch front wheel, enjoy gained ground clearance.

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvel wrote:
Fit 19 inch front wheel, enjoy gained ground clearance.

Sorry, I've forgotten which Blade had a 19" front wheel?

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvise

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 23:21 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Says the man who wooo'd me with photos of his smashed open toe superglued back together?? Thinking

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Really kinky ones?

ninoBFU
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My motorcycle instructor has 2 pairs of forks, one from a k5 suzuki and he said it was 29.5 inches long 2inch longer than the ones I have now. He will also measure the other pair which is from a k1 1000 with ohlins internals. I will probably end up selling my 954 forks and buy the longer ones from the pair.

No point fusking about with the geometry of the bike or get custom exhausts made. I don't know if the 2 inch increase will be enough and because the forks are at an angle I don't know by how much the clearance will increase to......i am planning to get the marving 4 into 1 flat collector exhaust at some point to increase the clearance a lil but more. And u guess the rear end upgrade will be left for last......but want the bike on the road as soon as possible .... So if I have the same problem with the new front end...I will put the original forks on until li have money to buy the exhaust and I put both things on the bike.
<a href="https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=3879192#3879192/">My GSX 750 1981 Cafe Racer Project build</a>

ninoBFU
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa161/nino__/Mobile%20Uploads/0B62C368-1476-4260-BFEE-1BE3B958D666_zpsyzi30vil.jpg

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninoBFU wrote:

No point fusking about with the geometry of the bike

You will be changing the geometry with 90% of front ends you put on, unless they're the same length as standard, and have the same fork offset on the yokes as standard too.

kestrel
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 06:24 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: fork swap ground clearance problem pls help Reply with quote

ninoBFU wrote:
hi guys just installed a new set of forks on my bike and they are 5inch shorter than the original non usd forks which leaves me with 2.5inch ground clearance......not good.

ninoBFU wrote:
No point fusking about with the geometry of the bike

By installing forks which are 5 inches shorter than original you have already seriously altered the geometry of the bike by reducing both rake and trail. Have a look at the link below it will give you a basic insight into how steering and geometry work, google will find plenty more info on the subject.
You'll often find that what looks cool often doesn't work too well. Don't fall into the form over function trap.

https://bikearama.com/theory/motorcycle-rake-trail-explained/
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
You have to bear in mind that you're trying to fit forks from a twin spar type frame onto a cradle frame - both employ different geometry,

Please explain why you think different frame types necessitate different geometry?
I realise the bikes will have different geometry but that isn't what you are suggesting.

Vincent wrote:
Stinkwheel had the best idea......find out what works from people that have changed the front end on this particular bike....and use that. Let others do the hard, expensive work Wink

That would be getting longer stanchions made up considering the work of fitting the front end is already done. Unsure why this is confusing so many people?
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ninoBFU
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
If you change the length of the stantions, do you need to do anything to the internals of the forks?

Someone here said that spring spacers would need to be fitted...but u will sell these ones and get 2 inch longer ones from a k4 1000...which will bring me closer to the original heigh and if I need more room for ground clearance I'll get the marving 4 into 1 flat collector exhaust system.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
As the twin spar frame doesn't need to surround the engine.....above and below....it means everything can sit lower to the ground and the engine further forward. Obviously, this has an effect on everything else - suspension, wheel size, headstock height, rider position....etc, etc. Probaly why OPs forks are too short.....nein?

No. The type of frame actually has very little to do with geometry other than the physical constraints placed by frame members in the way. In the case of the GS it is an old bike that was built before the present fashion of making everything compact. It would also probably have had an 18" front wheel. The high headstock is more likely caused by the spine frame design and it was easier to have longer forks rather than drop the headstock.

Vincent wrote:
If you're going to alter the geometry of a bike, personally, I'd prefer to keep some things as they were originaly....project bike or donor bike.....mixing the rear suspension from a twin shock duplex framed bike with the front end from a twin spar monoshock bike, may create problems, with the geometry. 'Only a thought.

Incorrect for reasons stated above.

Where you will find problems is in completely different suspension set ups ie damping, spring rate etc but this would likely happen regardless of where the parts came from.

Vincent wrote:
If you change the length of the stantions, do you need to do anything to the internals of the forks?

Spring spacers of the same length.

Simple thing that everyone misses is that of you change suspension parts there is a lot of internal work to do as well.

<edit> A good point actually now I think about it. Dependant on the fork internals it may be required to machine up a new damper rod which is beyond most amateurs. I would have just fitted a set of forks from a 90> GSXR11 or 90-94 750</edit>

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
And once the constraints placed on a twin shock duplex frame bike were minimised by using a twin spar frame, did this not alter the geometry....or rather the potential to use a better/more favourable to handling geometry?

Not in the way you are trying to suggest no. A bigger difference happened with the arrival of stiff wheels and decent tyres. Before that there was no way to utilise tighter geometry.

In fact I have a VERY tight geometry twin spar bike sat here at the moment.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3