Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New to a motorcycle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

sierra401
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:38 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: New to a motorcycle Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I wanted to know your opinion on my situation...

I go soon to the basic riders course... Im 20 weigh 110lbs
not sure how to handle a motorcycle. Never even rode a dirtbike that is geared. Only two wheels is a bicycle. Not sure how this is going to happen so i'm Kind of nervous.

Any thoughts on my problem of being nervous?

(PS I already have a bike its an r6)

Thanks

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Sierra

by "new riders course" do you mean Compulsory Basic Training - which allows you to use a bike upto 125cc and various other restrictions pertaining to power etc for upto 2 years on an L plate or a morning pootling round a carpark?

Sadly neither of which are going to allow you to ride the R6 in fact only one will allow you to ride on the road. At 20 you aren't even going to be allowed to ride the R6 unrestricted.

You can do your CBT, then wait till 21 (I think) to do the A license which will allow you to ride it or do the CBT and then A2 which might let you on the R6 restricted....

sierra401
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:00 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am allowed to ride whatever I want after I get the license Im just looking for some tips. Im sorry I didnt mention I live in the US

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: New to a motorcycle Reply with quote

sierra401 wrote:
Not sure how this is going to happen so i'm Kind of nervous.

Majority of the members of this forum are from the UK. So I doubt many of us really know what is going to happen either or how your tested in the US.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha!

That suddenly makes more sense. Cant offer and advice about the USA tests etc but have fun here and dont let the newbie bashing hurt too much Laughing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:42 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: New to a motorcycle Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:
. Cant offer and advice about the USA tests etc

Varies state to state. Many don't have a motorbike 'test' as such, they have to do a Rider's course, bit like the CBT .... only... well, that's IT basically.. after they have done that, they get let loose to go buy Busas and Blades or Harleys Shocked

sierra401 wrote:

Being nervous isn't a problem, its nature. Its telling you you are about to do something rather scary, probably dangerouse and you are likely to get hurt.

Probably be more of a problem if you WEREN'T nervous! That would mean you were either too stupid to recognise danger, or deranged enough to be seeking it.

Here in the UK and Europe; we have a rather more stringent motorcycle licencing system. Your Basic Rider Ed course is only the first step. After that you have to take a set of formal riding exams; one 'written' (on a computer), then, observed by an examiner, a machine control test on a bike, around cones in a compound; then a more involved test, on the public roads, the examiner following you on another bike. Those usually demand a course, that would probably be about a week long to get a complete novice up to test standard.

And THEN we warn newly qualified riders not to go jump straight onto outright sports-bikes, like the R6, as their nature is so focused they don't encourage a new rider to develop their skills..... and we have a rather alarming injury and fatality rate amongst newly qualified riders who don't heed that warning.

Yup... be nervous.... I would be!

Advice? Lay up the R6. Line up something a little more newbie freindly as your first bike.

Do your course; but don't treat it as the be-all and end all of learning to ride a motorcycle. Use more 'sensible' street-bike for a bit, get some gentle miles under your belt, get some experience, and try getting some further training along with it. More you learn to do right, right at the start, more you will get from your learning, and less risk you'll do something daft and hurt yourself, or any-one else in the process. Find the fun in it all, and enjoy.

In a year's time; with something to prepare you for it; you'll be able to get a heck of a lot more out of a bike like an R6, and appreciate what its doing for you a lot better.

As for nerves now? Your sat at a PC not on a motorbike. Dont sweat the small-stuff! It dont matter till it matters. Take it one step at a time; keep your eyes and your mind open, enjoy being where you are right now, and worry about the hazards you can see and deal with here and now, or around the next corner; DONT rush head-long into this corner, not taking any notice of whats around you, worrying about what might be around the corner after the corner after next. Ride the bit of road you are on. Thats all that matters, and DONT RUSH, rushing fast way to get hurt on two wheels. No point fretting about the future, it ent happened yet; worry about ther here and now, and if there's nothing to worry about? EN-fucking-JOY! its a rare occurrence!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:43 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: New to a motorcycle Reply with quote

sierra401 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I wanted to know your opinion on my situation...

I go soon to the basic riders course... Im 20 weigh 110lbs
not sure how to handle a motorcycle. Never even rode a dirtbike that is geared. Only two wheels is a bicycle. Not sure how this is going to happen so i'm Kind of nervous.

Thanks

Welcome. As a transplanted American in London, I can do some translation, but you might be better off on a forum in the U.S. or maybe Reddit's motorcycle section, which seems to have a maximum age of about 22 ( Rolling Eyes ).

That said, this is is actually one of the best forums around, and I've tried a few in the U.S. Lots of useful information here, if you have a thick skin, a sense of irony and some skepticism (which is spelled scepticism here...).

Whereabouts in the U.S. are you living? Is this the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course that you are taking? It's a good course. Two of my relatives (a nephew and a niece) have gone through it, and one of them is actually on an R6 (the nephew) and isn't dead yet. It's quite normal to be nervous. Take it one day at a time and ask lots of questions.

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:01 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing: I read a very good, U.S.-focused book about motorcycling a couple of years ago: Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It covers the same material as the U.K.'s Roadcraft book (which someone will mention, at some point), but with more of an emphasis on particular issues that you have in the U.S., such as avoiding getting deaded by a moose (i.e., what to do when you see the reflection from deer or moose eyes on the side of the road) or by a gun-totting gangster on an L.A. freeway (i.e., how to position yourself when a car seems to be sticking to your side), neither of which are high on the hazards you encounter in London. Worth picking up, but probably after you pass your MSF.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:15 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: New to a motorcycle Reply with quote

sierra401 wrote:
I already have a bike its an r6

Good job you got a learner motorcycle, I hear jumping straight on a litre bike after wobbling round a car park for 30 minutes can be hazardous.

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:17 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: New to a motorcycle Reply with quote

sierra401 wrote:

Thanks

i would put myself on the donor list with that choice of bike.

jokes aside, get a bike that is a lot more forgiving! even if it's just for 6 months. You will be glad, specially if you drop it!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

esullivan wrote:
the U.K.'s Roadcraft book (which someone will mention, at some point)

Just to keep someone happy Wink

The Roadcraft book.
(never read it myself)

And definitely see if you can find a local training venue/instructor someplace for some training.
Observation skills are going to be crucial for you, I've recently spent three months driving in Florida and couldn't believe the amount of atrocious driving I encountered - it seems that the worse a person's driving skills the bigger the vehicle they drive, which makes a tiddly little R6 quite vulnerable (stick the loudest muffler on it that you can find)

Edit: And considering you've taken time out for advice - Keep the folks at home happy and buy a helmet and protective gear (and wear it!). It doesn't take a fast crash to rip your skin off.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1