Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki SFV650 in black

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

CestrianX
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:17 - 23 Jun 2014    Post subject: Suzuki SFV650 in black Reply with quote

This bike was originally black with white panels. I knew exactly what I wanted to do to it the day I bought it, and it's half complete.
The white panels are now matt black, that's the main change. It's getting a tail-tidy, maybe a hugger and maybe twin headlamps.

Rather than people saying "that's a Gladius init", they now say "what the f***'s that?"

Last edited by CestrianX on 21:20 - 23 Jun 2014; edited 1 time in total

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 23 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an Sv650 with a few different bits.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 23 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow an even gayer SV650, please hand back all your man points.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 23 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to take more than that to stop it looking like a gladius, I'm afraid, and I should know.

Mine has the following:
Undertray
Smaller tail light
Tail tidy
Mini indicators
Solo seat cowl
Renthal bars, bar ends and grips
Aftermarket mirrors
Pazzo style adjustable levers
GSXR footpegs
Belly pan
No decals and some silver plastics resprayed black
Carbon fender extender
Hugger (currently not fitted)
Venom stainless end can

and it still looks like a Gladius!

I'll stick a pic up tomorrow.

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 23 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why buy a gladius if you want something that doesn't look like a gladius?

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 23 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

No its not. The Gladius is much smaller than an sv650.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 23 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvel wrote:
Why buy a gladius if you want something that doesn't look like a gladius?

In my case, £4013 brand new OTR. I couldn't ignore the £2k saving over similar bikes at the time (3 yrs ago in Feb). There was even one of the same vintage (to the month) up for sale at Kings in Kidlington for £6 more than I paid new a couple of months ago.

I can't speak for the OP.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 23 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Itchy wrote:

No its not. The Gladius is much smaller than an sv650.

Is it though? I tried both before I bought mine (SV650S was current at the time) and there was nothing between them. They're not actually that small anyway. Sure, mine has the 20mm taller seat offered by Suzuki at new, but at 6'4" it fits alright whereas my 5'6" wife cannot flat foot it with the standard seat.

CestrianX
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:35 - 23 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I'm an old short arse.
2. Cheap as chips.
3. I actually quite like it.

I'm quite happy with the bike. It gives me lots of pleasure and I don't have anything to prove Smile

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them in the ltd edition colours

https://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m492/sidewinder11/a6c19b18f12e06b8bf32d49d80397c45_zps9583719c.jpg

beardface
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:21 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:

Nice, just need to ditch the horrid exhaust and stick a normal round headlight on the front Thumbs Up

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u526/Nexus-Icon/08ecff34422e73ad52f63269a445adbd_zps67d0d00b.jpg

https://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u526/Nexus-Icon/5478dd415abdaef1f803874083fb2bde_zpsb43f6b30.jpg

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst it's a bit less rampant rabbit in all black, I still maintain they are styled by Ann Summers and should be called the Gaydius.

What do they do better than an SV? What bits are better than the SV's 11 year old design?

Can't understand why anyone in their right mind wouldn't get an SV or stump up for a lightly used ST.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
At 6'4" it fits alright whereas my 5'6" wife cannot flat foot it with the standard seat.

You talk about overall height like it makes any odds. Inside leg is where it matters on a bike. Overall I'm 5'8" tall, but my 35" inseam makes both the Gladius and the sv650 curvy which I used to ride - small. Cool

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:
At 6'4" it fits alright whereas my 5'6" wife cannot flat foot it with the standard seat.

You talk about overall height like it makes any odds. Inside leg is where it matters on a bike. Overall I'm 5'8" tall, but my 35" inseam makes both the Gladius and the sv650 curvy which I used to ride - small. Cool

No offence but you have fairly unique proportions and your body shape must fall well outside of the golden ratio. Most people aren't built that way and I'd suggest it's you that makes the Suzukis seem small tbh.

Of course I can flat-foot the SFV with my 34" legs but the pegs aren't cramped, although I can imagine it might feel that way with another inch of leg and the inch lower standard seat.

CestrianX
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:36 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I buy jeans with a 29inch inside leg and they get worn down so I have to hem them, I'm a real short arse with an 18.5 inch neck, perhaps quite the opposite to Clanger. I can't quite flat-foot the SFV but it is the most secure feeling bike I've ridden to date.
Nexus Icon, I'm assuming that was your bike in the pics, looks rather nice.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It still looks like a Gladius though Laughing

It really needs a round headlight. The standard one looks like it's drooping off the front of the bike, although I actually prefer it to the almost ubiquitous Transformer faced ones appearing everywhere nowadays.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 25 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice gladius Thumbs Up .

krarkol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:06 - 26 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everythings a bit round and jelly mould like on them. A bit like it was styled by the dude who did the modern version of those little tikes red kids cars Laughing

A friend has a naked sv650 with the more angular trellis frame and I think it looks pretty bad ass.

Another friend has a Gladius since new and he doesn't fault it. It's used as a commuter and fits it's purpose and he rides it pretty well also

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 26 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

krarkol wrote:
I think everythings a bit round and jelly mould like on them. A bit like it was styled by the dude who did the modern version of those little tikes red kids cars Laughing

A friend has a naked sv650 with the more angular trellis frame and I think it looks pretty bad ass.

Another friend has a Gladius since new and he doesn't fault it. It's used as a commuter and fits it's purpose and he rides it pretty well also

Yeah, it's definitely in the looks department where it comes a little unstuck. I've grown to love mine, in the sense that I don't have to squint when I open the garage door nowadays, but I can't fault the way it rides. It sounds nice with the Venom can, it goes exactly where you point it and my arse isn't quite dead after 100 miles. If I had one criticism of the handling I'd say the rear end is a bit flighty over rough tarmac when cornering but it's not bad at all, considering it's assembled from the parts bin.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 28 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of the incessant tales of my squidlike friend's tales of delinquent post miners' strike south yorkshire brats riding ratted two smoke 125s as the 80s gave way to the 90s. Get the shittiest bike you can find, paint it rattle can black, drop it loads, more rattlecan black, keep it until you throw it through a car. Repeat until too broken.

I'm not a fan of the I sprayed it all matt black look. Badly done and it stinks of dropped every week, nicely done and it's a justin bieber (or david beckham) style "murdered out" toy to be ridden in lumberjack shirts.

Incidentally, Anne Summers products are likely found in friendly and feminine colours, and have a reputation for being overpriced of inferior quality, and mostly marketed at women. Designs vary, from flowing sweeping curves as one might find on a sportsbike, to something more closely resembling a an off road tyre. Or bath toys.

Stepping away from the high street, one finds toys marketed at men are most often black. Premium toys might be stainless steel.

Strangely, toys that resemble anodised bling are on the rare side.

Conclusions: The less X you try to make it, the more X it becomes for any value of X that you are not genetically equipped to understand. Motorcycles are an ego extension and thus the subconscious link to phallic devices will creep in to designers minds and manifest. I probably need therapy after finding a bath toy left by previous residents.

tl;dr I am never buying a yellow dual sport with an adventue beak
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1