Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1977 XL250K4 -- nao wid vid innit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: 1977 XL250K4 -- nao wid vid innit Reply with quote

While my CB is coming along slowly there are a lot of bits that are going to take time to sort out properly. Not to mention replacement parts that I'm going to have to wait to turn up...

So, I decided to dig this XL out of the shed as it's not a massive challenge to get this one back on the road.

Here's how it was about 3 years ago...

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/bikeside.jpg

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/bikerearright.jpg

Later that day it looked like this

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/bikeminimal.jpg

Then I took it apart some more, put all the bits in various boxes and put it away thinking "I'll get that done soon."

About 3 years later and it's today. The only thing I did to it in the meantime is fit some different tyres to check clearances (which I never actually did).

So now I've got all the bits in one place (not piece) again - I put the rear wheel into the swingarm to see how that tyre fits.

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/PICT0712.jpg

And fit it does Laughing

Now all I have to do is get on with the rest of it...

Last edited by pdg on 18:33 - 01 Jul 2014; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOAR PHOTOS

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more done...

The plan is to build the bike up completely so I can fix stuff (frame needs a little tickle here and there) and see exactly what I need to get/do, then tear it back down for paint etc.

So, swingarm and wheel in:

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/PICT0714.jpg

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/PICT0713.jpg

Yes, that is a bit of wood instead of a rear shock, I've got the shocks in bits to clean up...

Then the yokes:

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/PICT0716.jpg

And forks, front wheel etc:

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/PICT0717.jpg

Now I've created a problem for myself - the handlebars are too wide to fit through the door! I think I'll stick a narrower set on while I'm messing for now, at least I'll be able to move it easier then.

At least it's now rolling Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 20 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing this done! Hope it doesn't take another 3 years to get to that point though Wink

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 21 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed Very Happy. Just a shame bikes like that now seem to cost quite a bit.
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Chris. wrote:
Very nice indeed . Just a shame bikes like that now seem to cost quite a bit.

They certainly have gone up in 'value'. I bought this one in 2005 but even then it was what I consider a fair amount...

KLR600 wrote:
Looking forward to seeing this done! Hope it doesn't take another 3 years to get to that point though Wink

Hahadumbarse wrote:
looking good, get that frame blasted and repainted job jobbed, progress is looking slow but its progress keep it up.

Ok then, bit of an update.

One of the things I wanted to sort was the low back end. The shocks I have are shorter than standard and stock length units seem to be a bit difficult to find and/or expensive for the quality. So, a much easier prospect than buying new shocks was to make new mounts....

Before with mounts prepped:

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/arm_before.jpg

And then after, these aren't the shocks I'm using, but they are the same length:

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/PICT0724.jpg

As it is, I've now got about a 10mm lift on the back over stock, which makes it sit much better.

Other stuff done - just about built up!

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/PICT0726.jpg

(Yes I know I have to tidy up - that's a separate project...)

The exhaust bolt holes were stripped in the head so I put helicoils in - more photos next time I can get it outside, in the light, in the dry... At the same time I'm going to bung some oil in it and see if it still runs Very Happy

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Hagon make custom length shocks for not a ridiculous amount of money? I imagine it would be pretty easy to find the original eye to eye shock length and see if they can make you a pair up. Might be easier than fabricating mounts but then if you've already made them I guess it doesn't matter!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:39 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
Don't Hagon make custom length shocks for not a ridiculous amount of money?

Jup. And Betor shocks can be bought by length, spring & damper rate to suit different applications too, but depends on your idea of 'rediculouse' both brands are about £100 a pair, where generic after-market dampers like R&R may be £40-£60ish.
Personally for that bike, I'd probably go for a set of Betors, they are fantastic off-road, air-adjustable and I believe completely rebuildable.
Hagons Budget shocks are 'sealed', and only pre-load adjustable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagon do a set of 'off-the-shelf' trail shocks for this model for £160 - not far from what I paid for the actual bike. I could alternatively get a set of budget shocks for ~£50 on ebay.

On the other hand though - I could cut up a scrap swingarm I had in the shed, weld the mounts on to the original arm in such a position as to allow me to use a much more common length of shock while lifting the back of the bike by around 10mm and only losing about 20-30mm of actual travel (depending on make of shock) and use a set I already have for £free. This would also mean that when I need to replace them I have a much wider range to choose from.

So I did.......

I know it's not 'original' but that's not the aim with this one. It's a build not a restoration after all. If I was going for a restoration I would make sure I had a larger budget than £0.

Anyway, it still runs! So that's good. A bit more to do on the frame reinstating what was cut by a previous owner and it'll be getting taken apart again for paint.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:51 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
Hagon do a set of 'off-the-shelf' trail shocks for this model for £160 - not far from what I paid for the actual bike. I could alternatively get a set of budget shocks for ~£50 on ebay.

The old addage 'Buy Cheap - Buy Twice" is apres-po here.
Realise what you are doing, but I have been cought with this one a couple of times; 750 had Budget R&R's fitted to get it through the MOT before I bought it; needed replacing come next test. Been through a couple of pairs of 'budget' trials shocks on the cota, and ruing the fact that money would have been better spent on a pair of Betor's long term. Worth a thought, depending on how & how much you intend using the thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
I know it's not 'original' but that's not the aim with this one. It's a build not a restoration after all. If I was going for a restoration I would make sure I had a larger budget than £0.

Wasn't meant in any bad way and I can guarantee I'm the last guy who's going to be nit picking because it's not a nut and bolt original restoration, you should see some of my old bike bodges Laughing I just thought it might have been easier to get some Hagons or whatever on but didn't realise you had a spare swing arm and a welder to hand!

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
The old addage 'Buy Cheap - Buy Twice" is apres-po here.

Well I'm going by "don't buy - use what you have already"

I've done some more, none of which I consider photo worthy. Mainly mocking stuff up with cardboard so I can have templates to use for the metal. Once I start with that I'll get piccies.

One thing I can't decide is whether to repair the original petrol tank (rust holes in the bottom, but no dents or other damage...) or make a new one. If I do make a new one then I'll be doing a seat/tail unit etc. to go with it - not sure yet.

KLR600 wrote:
Wasn't meant in any bad way and I can guarantee I'm the last guy who's going to be nit picking because it's not a nut and bolt original restoration, you should see some of my old bike bodges I just thought it might have been easier to get some Hagons or whatever on but didn't realise you had a spare swing arm and a welder to hand!

No probs, I understand. In a way it is easier to just buy new bits, but I don't have the money to splash on a toy whereas I have plenty of metal and tools to make it all different shapes. Just how many bits I'm going to be making won't be known until I finish though... Even some of the things I have - like the side panels - are probably going to get replaced because they are pretty fragile and difficult/expensive to source if I break them.

Anyway, more soon.

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing I can't decide is whether to repair the original petrol tank (rust holes in the bottom, but no dents or other damage...) or make a new one.

I spotted this whilst browsing, thought it may be of interest.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Chris. wrote:
I spotted this whilst browsing, thought it may be of interest.

I did see that one, but to get the dents out properly I'd be cutting the bottom out then welding it back in...

Filler is just so last season.

Decision made anyway, I'm fixing the original for now and making a new one later - because I want to.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:30 - 30 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the shocking saga...

I cleaned up the ones I had a bit and as it turns out they are a bit worse than I first thought.

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/oldshock.jpg

So, time for a newish plan. I got these.

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/newshock.jpg

Which I could do this to:

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/internals.jpg

Right, so I have springs that I can fit to these but there is the continuing problem of length - but for this I have a cunning plan..........

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 31 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the plan.

I had one set of slightly knackered shocks that were too short anyway, and one set of serviceable shocks that were also too short. What to do......

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/cutshocks.jpg

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/shockbottoms.jpg

That.

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/mockupshocks.jpg

Look at that, they're longer Laughing

Now to stick them together.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 31 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

really like that. look forward to seeing more of it Smile

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the shock bodies welded up:

https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/pdg555/bike/XL250K/shockbody.jpg

Got about an extra 35mm on there now, I might also change the top rings to match the new bottoms.

And a few other little bits that aren't photo worthy...

One of the next bits is to make the fuel tank a bit more unleaky.

Nearly ready to strip it all back down for paint etc.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 20 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother used to have one of those bikes.Lots of stories involved with that ownership Laughing

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Snaps/HondaXLBikes001.jpg

Page from the Honda sales brochure of the time

Always have a 'Plan B'

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 04 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a un-update this one really. The project is far from dead but I got a bit distracted with lots of other things...

I have got a bit more done, but nothing I consider photo-worthy yet. Some little bits left to do and once my compressor is finished this will be getting blasted and painted.

That brochure page is cool by the way, I think it's of the same model but mine has no rev counter (or space for one) - what it does have is markings on the speedo to indicate when to change gear Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 177 days between these two posts...

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 30 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As anyone who knows me will attest, I can't be doing with all this rushing malarkey.

Now, I don't know how many people have painted bike stuff before, but those who have will now that it's important to let the paint cure properly before doing anything else with it.

So.....

Last July (2013) I found a petrol tank off of something else which looks like I want it to and was made to fit quite easily.

Then I painted it, and put it indoors to cure.

Over a year should be enough time to let paint dry shouldn't it?

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 01 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crappy video ahoy!

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so that petrol tank I got last year was a 'hongdou' one...

I made a couple of slight repairs, pressure tested it then painted it.

fast forward nearly a year, put some petrol in it and

it bloody leaks from somewhere I didn't repair that went through pressure test just fine.

Arsebuckets.

Ho hum, another tank has been sourced....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1