Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

It just won't start. Interesting...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 13 Jan 2005    Post subject: It just won't start. Interesting... Reply with quote

I have been trying to fix up a GPX250 1989 (some job). After about a few months I have basically (I think) got it in a "try and start it" state. So after realizing I have lost my keys and frantic searching, I had found them! Smile

Anyway. I try to start it without the fuel hose connected to the fuel tap. At first I was worried petrol was leaking from the fuel tap when trying to start (diafram). Then I connected the hose in a "f*ck it" anyway mind. It stopped leaking (hopefully this is not a problem now) so I try to start it, it just tries to start but nothing happens, well air comes from the exhaust and that is about it.

It is not the carbs because I have just stripped them recently and polished them all up, every last bit. I have also replaced and cleaned the spark plugs.

Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 13 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

battery?
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:57 - 13 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume it also has a spark?

If they have been sat around for a while and stripped down they can take a bit of starting. Make sure the fuel tap is set to 'pri' to begin with so the float bowls can fill (they don't all have this position, just use 'on' otherwise).

Try putting a few drops of petrol directly into the engine through the sparkplug holes and try again. Bump starting sometimes helps too.

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 14 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

rieju.rs1.evolution wrote:
battery?

Brand new battery.

As for sparks, they have been cleaned and are quite new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 14 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a compression test - do you have compression?

If yes, take the carbs right off and squirt some carb cleaner into the engine whilst cranking the engine.

If it still doesn't start, is the starter motor cranking the engine fast enough? You may have a "lazy" starter motor or an earth fault.

DM
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:15 - 14 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried roll-starting it off a nice hill Smile?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:31 - 14 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

First thing is to check that you are getting fuel into the carbs. Prime should allow it to flow, but it would not surprise me if the GPX is like the GPZ500 with no prime position on the fuel tap. I would be inclined to use a small funnel into the fuel hose to fill the carbs up with the tank off.

Also the fuel tap will be a vacuum tap. As such make sure the vacuum line from the inlets to the carbs is either connected up to the fuel tap (if you are using the tank) or plugged. Otherwise you have a massive air leak.

Use some fresh fuel. Drain the carbs just in case when you connected the tank up it was water from the bottom of the tank that went into the carbs.

Not sure on the firing order, but if it has 2 coils then check they are connected the right way round (probably unlikely that this is wrong).

Use a car battery or a booster pack to ensure there is plenty of power.

Do check for a spark. The plugs might well be new but that does not mean they are working Crying or Very sad .

Lastly use something sprayed in through the airbox to kick it into life. WD40 works (although it is meant to be the butane propellant that actually does it), as do things like cold start (very flammable). Be careful using things like this though.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1