Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trying a BMW K1600GT from Alton Bahnstormer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

ppeaster
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:11 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Trying a BMW K1600GT from Alton Bahnstormer Reply with quote

Well i've been meaning to visit Alton Bahnstormer for months but, one thing or another has interfered.

Sun was out yesterday and I had a day off work so rode over for a look around. Very nice dealership, friendly staff and lots of stunning bikes to drool over.

They also kindly offered a test ride on the K1600GT, which I took them up on today. I've wanted to try this bike after seeing a few youtube vids where the engine sounds absolutely incredible.

I have only owned 600s; nearest i've come to a tourer is a go on a vfr1200 a few months ago. So i was quietly a little scared about manouevering this beast. I did struggle a bit with the weight at junctions, but once on the move it handled beautufully. Wide bars made turns effortless, and the riding position was a world away from my CBR600RR.

The engine is a work of art - after about 30min I took my earplugs out just to listen to it. It is creamy-smooth but so torquey. And the noise as you get up the rev range is addictive.

I am tempted to trade in my CBR, as at 6"3 I feel a bit like an elephant on a unicycle on it. The only downside was the k1600 was way heavier than I'm used to. Stunning bike though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks bloody massive? Is that BMWs version of a gold wing....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ppeaster
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:07 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it basically is their GW. It had a stereo and speakers! Although looks pleasantly Teutonic compared to a GW IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

iL6 aren't they?

Edit: and memory says they have the clocks from a 3 series too?

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry weight nearly 300kgs Shocked

Fuck dropping that on your leg.
And to think that somedays, I find manhandling half that amount round corners a challenge Smile .

But a big fat horse for a long old corse tho obviously. And seems clearly capable of fun Laughing https://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/5544-1/Knee+down+K1600GT.jpg

looks like pierce brosnan

Last edited by 1cyl on 22:04 - 13 Jul 2014; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:03 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a car, get a car, don't get a bike that has the engine capacity of a car and expect to be able to hustle it well.

If you want a big tourer, fair enough but what benefits do you have over a car. It costs more than a 3 series, it carries less than a 3 series.

It has the same badge. Laughing

I am still unsure why people insist on building excessive sized bikes that weight so much yet offer so little Sad

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well off topic, but with todays 1000cc sports bikes and their top endy delivery with less of a pull your arms out midrange, I'd much rarther have a 1400cc ZX10R than a 1000cc one even with the same bhp.

I do agree that you can build bikes too big and heavy though. The mk2 V-max does not interest me in the slightest, as despite going to 1700cc and 200bhp, there is no V-boost, and it looks bloated and ugly, and worse of all, it's gone from 260kg to 310kg.

The original V-max is still something I want to mount, and see if it's manageable enough to be my next bike though?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd happily tour Europe on a behemoth like the beemer, touring is what you make of it, the beemer clearly isnt designed for knee down hooliganism, its for enjoying the journey as well as the ride.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 14 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
If you want a car, get a car, don't get a bike that has the engine capacity of a car and expect to be able to hustle it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsLO05UZyi8&feature=youtube_gdata

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 14 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

1cyl wrote:

My Pan weighs near enough that much. It really is not a drama once you are used to it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:20 - 14 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsLO05UZyi8&feature=youtube_gdata

Just because you can doesn't mean you should Laughing

That is like this IMO.

https://www.knightcreations.com/ghetto/images/funny/knee-drag-car.jpg

ppeaster
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
1cyl wrote:

My Pan weighs near enough that much. It really is not a drama once you are used to it.

Only time i felt the weight was when coming to a stop and slow turns. Whereupon I broke out in a cold sweat and felt like I was on my first day of DAS again...

Definitely felt like you could ride all day on it, go to Europe in total comfort etc etc.

Paddy - fair point, it does have an engine as big as my old Focus...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1