BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trackday with Aff + -Matt-

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:51 - 12 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, should be ok to drop you down, but should be fine in inters I'm sure - usually a big range of abilities there - and at least if you're the small fish, you're not being held up Smile.

Note that it does also depend what's on generally - go to a trackday the day before a decent club is racing there and you can find some rather nippy people end up in inters.
Certainly when i was racing I've been booked into inters with others when turning up on the day and requesting fast - for various litre bike owners to end up with some less-inflated egos when they end up dropping back quickly from a gaggle of SV650s Smile.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
What is your budget?

As G said, a 600 is the ideal track tool.
Cheaper the better - moneys the main issue with whether it can go ahead at all due to some other commitments so I may end up sacrificing a sports 600 and taking a slightly less pokey 500 if theres a few hundred saved that can go towards extra track days/travel costs, even if i'll miss out a little on the performance and potential on track. If theres a £500 useable 600 sport though Mr. Green may be hope still...

I'd say £500 as a comfortable amount - pushing upto a grand absolute max. As said though; every £100 or so extra spent on the bike may mean one less track day in the year Thumbs Down

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:22 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think £500 will be pushing your budget a bit.
£800 might get you an ok tatty track zx6 or similar, but pushing it this time of year.

You'll likely find a stock a stock 650/500 a bit lacking and end up wanting to spend a fair bit more on sorting the suspension.

Me, I'd just keep using the Ninja for the moment and not be a twat.

I've crashed a lot more on the road than on trackdays.
Crashed a lot racing, but for trackdays I keep it toned down a little.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:09 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy a CB500. They are shit on the road let alone the track.

Keep using the zx, it's what it's built for. You'll be amazed at how much you can push half decent tyres before you stack it anyway.

If money is an issue look into pitbike sm. The skills are transferable, its silly cheap, you can fall off, slide etc and really improve your riding without risking your shiny P&J.

Plus last week I was having a practice with a TT rider... £20 for three hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
Blue_SV650S wrote:
What is your budget?
... £500 ...

If that is the case, then your money is better spent getting some 2nd hand plastics (or an x-race fairing), tank and end can for yours so if you do have a low-side, the most expensive bits are saved.

Your bike will be a better bet than anything you can get for the ~£500 bracket. You are far less likely to crash a capable bike like your ZX than a £500 nail anyway ...

It will take a preparation afternoon each time you use, but worth it for the peace of mind having disposable plastics will give you ..

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 09:41 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:

Your bike will be a better bet than anything you can get for the ~£500 bracket. You are far less likely to crash a capable bike like your ZX than a £500 nail anyway ...

It will take a preparation afternoon each time you use, but worth it for the peace of mind having disposable plastics will give you ..

sage like advice there .... thats what I did with my R6.

great thread.. enjoyed reading that.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what others have said here regarding bike choice. Even though I have no track experience, I still think a CB500 would quickly become incredibly frustrating when the litre bike riders with no skill through the corners bomb past you on every straight.

I like mine (ish) because it's reliable and makes a good commuter. But thats about all it's good for. Plus, these days, you would be hard pressed to find a decent one for £500 (their reputation seems to attract a higher premium than the other 500 twins). They seem to be priced similarly to old ZX6r's, so why not go for that? I mentioned to you before about the old Jap import sports 400s that I was considering for fun use and possibly the occasional track day; have you considered this as they can be picked up reasonably cheaply? Not much difference in power to the CB500, but I imagine them to be much more suited to track riding. You would still have the same problem as the CB500 on the straights though. Anyone else have any opinions on these?

Personally, I get what you're saying about not wanting to risk your main bike on track, I wouldn't want to either (as it has to get me to work and back every day) so getting a dedicated track bike could be a good idea if your going to be doing a reasonable number of track days each year.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:28 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

monteme0 wrote:

Personally, I get what you're saying about not wanting to risk your main bike on track, I wouldn't want to either (as it has to get me to work and back every day) so getting a dedicated track bike could be a good idea if your going to be doing a reasonable number of track days each year.

Indeed; with all the dangers on the road, like cars, vehicles travelling in the opposite direction, man hole cover, not being able to ride the exact same corner 100 times earlier in the day before trying to take it a decent pace - what if you crashed your bike on the way to work and it was damaged for the trackday?
Smile

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:35 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

monteme0 wrote:

Get the cheap nail for getting to work on (if necessary, to relieve the worry of damaging your only form of transport), use the sportsbike for the track. It's what it was designed for. With a set of cheap fairings and some engine protection, you'll really have to crash seriously to do any significant damage.

Use the correct tool for the job. Thumbs Up

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the various knowledgeable replies. I won't lie - its not what I wanted to hear initially Laughing but it does make sense.

Looking at it from a different angle now - instead of a trackbike/transportation and so on, how much of that saved money can be put into temporarily preparing/adjusting the ZX, or worst case making a 'crash fund' for the ZX Laughing

On the note of crashing - Blue mentioned a fairing swap which isn't a bad idea and would be an option. What other sort of 'track-protection' might it be worth putting some of the money I could of spent on a track bike into? Its currently covered in crash bungs/bobbins - saved it once being dropped on the drive Laughing but are they worth having on for track riding, or likely to cause more damage in most cases.

Would engine casings etc be worth looking at or is that getting ahead of myself at novice level realistically. Tyres wise as well - presuming i'll be riding there and back most days, would want road legals, what are some budget sets that are a nice mix. Currently using old pilot powers that have been masacred by europe touring this summer Embarassed

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:03 - 14 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine case covers are useful for track and road.

Bungs are generally worth it and probably less likely to cause damage than on the road as you've got more change of just sliding at speed.

I often used part worn supercorsas year round on road and track bikes - but it's not for everyone.
Can get them cheap.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 16 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Engine case covers are useful for track and road.

Bungs are generally worth it and probably less likely to cause damage than on the road as you've got more change of just sliding at speed.

I often used part worn supercorsas year round on road and track bikes - but it's not for everyone.
Can get them cheap.

Yep, supercorsa/racetech are perfectly good year round road tyres.

I'd also recommend some performance friction 95 compound pads - truly remarkable things! https://www.performancefriction.com/Repository/Files/20110516_GMH_Powersports_Compound_Descriptions.pdf

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:23 - 16 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:

I'd also recommend some performance friction 95 compound pads - truly remarkable things! https://www.performancefriction.com/Repository/Files/20110516_GMH_Powersports_Compound_Descriptions.pdf

I used them on the minitwin, but not convinced they justified the extra over something like Carbone Loraine, which tended to be £40 less a pair at the time - especially on a bike with better stock brakes than the SV.

(Saying that, ZX = tokico = need the best you can get Razz .)

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 17 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely going to try and come to the next one of these, shame my holiday clashed with this one.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:12 - 17 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Troy_ wrote:
Definitely going to try and come to the next one of these, shame my holiday clashed with this one.

11th August. Thumbs Up

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 17 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

11th August. Thumbs Up

Due to an upcoming job change, I can't get weekdays off at the moment! Crying or Very sad

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:17 - 17 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cough cough. You feel sick I heard.

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 20 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
_Troy_ wrote:

11th August. Thumbs Up

Brands again?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:14 - 20 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mate
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3