250 Wet Dream

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:15 - 17 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be tempted to bag all the brown stuff and post back to sender Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 17 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Looks like my toilet... what on earth Laughing
Oddly enough the other side was ok apart from a little bit of green in there. Although the float needle was wedged in solid.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 17 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you could say the carbs were a bit shitty https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/MyFemurHurts/null_zps621926ca.png
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dannymassive
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:58 - 04 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

wotsthestory wrote:
Ignition doesn't always cut the engine when turned off (though ignition goes off), so I'll whip it out and try and clean it, replacement is about £15.

I'd be tempted to check the wiring first. One dodgy / corroded wire would cause this.
Previous Ride's - '01 Aprilia SR125 (Sold) '08 HONDA CBF600n (Sold) '96 CB500 (Sold) '01 FZS 1000 (Sold) '06 CB1300SA (Sold) '07 CB600F Hornet (Sold) - '93 Suzuki Savage LS400 (Sold) '98 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm (Sold) '05 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '01 FZS1000 Fazer (Sold) 2016 Harley Davidson Street Bob SE (Sold) '02 Kawasaki ZX9R (Sold) '98 CB600F Hornet (Sold) '04 Suzuki Bandit 1200s (Sold) '13 Yamaha FZ1-N

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:07 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the stator, had loads of these (like 20+) and the stators are all dying off, seems to be age not mileage that kills them, manifests itself in various different ways but always the stator causing the problems.

Running on one til warmed up
Poor running at low revs
Poor running at high revs
Surging throughout the rev range
large flat spots

All caused by stator failures, although I have had success in cleaning/replacing the connectors generally it still ends up that they need a stator plate replacement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right, have replaced the carbs and they seem as perfect as possible. Came from a running bike. Today replaced the CDI with an OEM one. It had suspected CDI failure previously, an aftermarket CDI has been fitted (brand new). It seems like an electrical breakdown now, as it runs beautifully at high revs if it gets there and is more usable than it ever has been before.

I'd had the pickup suggested previously, so I think that's where I'm going next. As there is actually very little left. Coils are brand new. It now starts easily and will rev up to 4K albeit with a little stutter.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to look for a stator on ebay, found one from a working bike. Should be here midweek. Will give that a go.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 13 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs. Carbs need adjusting as they have been fiddled with many times. So sometimes bogs a little initially, but once above 2-3K it flies.

I think in all honesty it needed a cdi and a generator/pickup. I have replaced carbs (not needed, actually suspect the originals were fine) and the above two items.

Now just to sort the annoying sidelight problem, will wire to an ignition live for the MOT. I know it's not the switch as used another, I'll figure it out.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:39 - 14 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go too crazy trying to sort the carbs. Get them clean, inc removing the mixture screw and squirting some cleaner down it. Make sure you have the same jet sizes and mixture screw settings on each one, then balance them on the bench - I tend to use a single strand of copper wire for this, to make sure the butterflies and opening and closing together.

Then do the valve clearances.

Then put it all back together and ride it for a bit.

Carbs can take a bit of use to settle down after being messed with. If you keep removing them and messing with them, you can just end up making more problems. If they won't settle down, you may have a problem, and it may be an unusual one. Throttle shaft seals can give up and be really difficult to diagnose, you get an air leak that varies its effect based on throttle position, temperature and engine load.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 14 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs are fine, just need resetting. No leaks, new rubber gaskets fitted on the manifold etc. Has been sprayed to death with easy start and it doesn't change the revs, whereas initially it was leaking from the mating gasket on the inlet and revving.

Just needs mixture right. I think 2 turns is the default and will work from there. I actually don't know where it's at right now, after getting it running, felt elated, had a BBQ so left it there. Thumbs Up

After my experience with this so far, I am NOT touching the carb internals again. Clearances, noted. But this thing has only done 8K. Once past that initial bogging, it really flies, well for a heavy 250 anyway.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 19 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT passed, on a proper ride managed to get 70 without too much pain, wouldn't want to run at that constantly. Still have a problem with the initial part of the throttle, sometimes needing to flick it in a particular way. Once above 3K it's fine and is never a problem, revs to the redline too.

Bunny Lingus
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:09 - 20 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it, but I don't like the engine or the wheels. Chuck a single in it & some spokeys, lose the lard... Had the 400cc, the exhaust pipes alone weighed a ton & they rot out where the link pipe is... Motad cleaned up in the eighties offering 2into1 pipes at two thirds the weight & two thirds the price.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 20 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunny Lingus wrote:
Like it, but I don't like the engine or the wheels. Chuck a single in it & some spokeys, lose the lard... Had the 400cc, the exhaust pipes alone weighed a ton & they rot out where the link pipe is... Motad cleaned up in the eighties offering 2into1 pipes at two thirds the weight & two thirds the price.
Pretty much agree, it was bought on a whim mainly because it was cheap and seemed like an easy project. I like the look of the bike (for an early 80's bike), but the wheels look shit. I don't have a problem with the engine as such, but the weight is an issue, due to the weight of the engine I guess.

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 20 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Looks like my toilet... what on earth Laughing

Jesus Paddy, the fuck do you eat? Laughing

I like these old bikes. Something quite nice about a small bike too. Ticks my boxes Thumbs Up

Bunny Lingus
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

wotsthestory wrote:
Bunny Lingus wrote:
Pretty much agree, it was bought on a whim mainly because it was cheap and seemed like an easy project. I like the look of the bike (for an early 80's bike), but the wheels look shit. I don't have a problem with the engine as such, but the weight is an issue, due to the weight of the engine I guess.

Two hundred quid though? Get in! I reckon you'd get a grand for it from the right person. These are right popular with east London hipsters. Went up Brick Lane market to get some 7.62 round ammo boxes to use as panniers & there were two CB250n's with their speccy owners on the bike bay. Dudes both had '70s style piss pot lids Laughing school satchels, one had the obligatory half mast trousers. Didn't have the guts to talk to 'em mind, otherwise I would have asked them how much they paid for their bikes but they were nice enough to remind me just as I was about to ride off that I hadn't unchained my front wheel Shocked

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 20 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent about £200 on MOT and getting it running, as it needed a new rear tyre, the last 4 years worth of MOT's had advisories for tyre cracks it couldn't pass another. Going to dare to take it to work tomorrow, 30 mile round trip through a mixture of all roads and traffic volumes. Should be fun, wish me luck.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 23 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the ride to work go Wots?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 23 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has to stop right now! : it`s making me feel guilty about not getting the bits for mine to put it back on the road Shifty

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 23 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

monteme0 wrote:
How did the ride to work go Wots?
RIDES! Been using all week, it's fabulous, chuck it about and have a bit of fun. Keeps up with the traffic on my commute (and occasionally pass some) which the 125 never could and on the 3 lane section of the A3, which is supposed to be 50, I was a sitting duck. It undulates too which didn't help. This is great, got to 75 which was getting near screaming point so didn't give it anymore. 60-65 is fine with just enough in reserve. Even not quite running right, it's not using fuel. Sitting at traffic lights with 3K idle is hilarious though.

Changed the oil last night, got rid of the acrid tar like stuff in there and put some fresh Motul oil in. Plan to take the carbs off at the weekend and clean the pilot jet. Didn't realise they can block at the very bottom, I just blindly bathed them in carb cleaner thinking it was fine that it was spraying out the sides. Will check that and reset the carbs to two turns.

Front brake is laughable, passed MOT but it's not exactly inspiring. It came with some brand new EBC pads, so I'll clean the caliper, replace the fluid and fit the new pads. The back brake actually performs better and is more predictable. So tend to 50/50 whereas I'd usually be 80-90% front biased.

Bunny Lingus
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:57 - 23 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke it, trying to fix the brakes.
Opened the Reservoir and the rusty screw snapped right at the bottom somewhere. Fluid was awful.
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CB250N/20140725_154402_zpsbdxp5qep.jpg~original
Also bought this, I thought whilst doing it, I might as well try and make it as good as possible. I don't want to change much from standard but as this was £20 it seemed like an investment.
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/CB250N/20140725_154424_zpstqvbbtyg.jpg~original

I can get a replacement reservoir for £30, I'm probably better off buying a secondhand master cylinder and reservoir together though? Which Master Cylinders would be direct fit from other models?

EDIT: CB500 looks very similar and has the mirror mount. They are cheap too. Any good?

Bunny Lingus
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:07 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

400n but look at the more modern CB250 ones too 'cos they were single disc.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunny Lingus wrote:
400n but look at the more modern CB250 ones too 'cos they were single disc.
Problem was they all look grotty. Ordered a CB500 one, that looked in great condition and it's very similar to the one on there currently.

Just put a Monkey bike one on there, it works, will do until the CB500 one turns up.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned all the jets out, I got myself one of those carb cleaner things, that looks a bit like a set of feeler gauges. Did the job brilliantly. Now idles just fine, but you do need to still give it a bit of throttle to set off, but it always revs up, whereas before it need a number of flicks of the throttle to get the revs up.

Unfortunately, the floats are giving me grief now (I didn't touch them), if I leave the tap on it just pees through. So they'll have to come off again. Evil or Very Mad

Monkey bike front brake and new braided line much better than last week, although new Master Cylinder on the way.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2