Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Replacing bent fork stanchion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

base
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:10 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that kind of damage I would personally want to know if the head stock was still "true" before I started spending money on it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:12 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

base wrote:
With that kind of damage I would personally want to know if the head stock was still "true" before I started spending money on it.

Some would. I'd just grab a new front end. R6 front end for fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:13 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google fork straightening service and similar, you should be able to find some one local enough to do it for you, or give it a bash your self just for fun Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:26 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bent some forks in my time, you will have damaged the damper rod and bent the top and or bottom yoke, depending how hard you hit the van the headstock bearings will be nicely fooked and possibly the front wheel bearings too.

When it comes to fixing a crashed bike, get the parts thoroughly inspected and replace if off, you might find some straight forks but if the headstock and clamps are fucked it will turn one way better than the other in a straight line. Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:08 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull them apart and see. The damper rod should be entirely enclosed by the fork lower, which looks fine. The bent bit only has the spring in it, and it doesn't look like enough of a bend in the fork to damage or compress the spring.

I wouldn't go with straightening on those forks, once you have a crease in the metal it's seriously weakened.

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:27 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Pull them apart and see. The damper rod should be entirely enclosed by the fork lower, which looks fine. The bent bit only has the spring in it, and it doesn't look like enough of a bend in the fork to damage or compress the spring.

I wouldn't go with straightening on those forks, once you have a crease in the metal it's seriously weakened.

Very good point I didn't see that! Although who ever you took them to would have told you anyway....

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your yokes are going to be bent too ...

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Robby is correct, I thought these had an adjuster at the top but my memory was incorrect.
https://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/epcimages/13040/26.jpg

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:58 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get new from WEMOTO, mind you it will NOT be cheap.

nathan k
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:25 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
Your yokes are going to be bent too ...

Too right, after lots of head scratching replacing my bent forks and why the wheel wasn't straight I tried a new top yoke and suddenly it all fitted perfectly.

There was no visible sign of the yoke being bent, it doesn't take much to shift the wheel out of line.

My bet is on the top yoke being bent, the bottom should be fine.
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. New forks are £400 each, a new stanchion is £110ish, and I'll probably attempt to do the job myself (even though the Haynes manual says it's a four spanner job Smile).

Quick question, the Haynes manual doesn't mention any special tools for reassembling the forks, yet the service manual does so do you really need them? I know some people say they use a bit of scaffold pole etc.

Not had a problem just using hand tools and when I worked at yamaha we just buzz gunned the nut off the bottom to make it easier, if it does spin when you try to tighten it back up, just use the springs pressure to help hold it in place, as you can see from the parts diagram they are very basic so wouldn't really need special tools, HOWEVER, if you do get the holder tool cheap point me to it because they're good to have for kawasaki forks.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
The only special tool I'm aware of is the one to hold the damper rod while undoing the bolt.....not strictly necessary tho.

There must be a pair of used forks somewhere.....you tried loads of breakers...and abroad?

Yamaha didn't sell a lot of these so I would imagine the parts are rare, especially ones like forks. Probably best just to get the stanchions and bung them on.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:20 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bend the other fork to the same spec as the damaged one, then it should ride fine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:11 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take them apart BEFORE ordering new stanchions.

It's been a hell of an impact and you might find part of the lower has cracked too. I've had the spindle clamp crack through on a bike following a big frontal impact.

Worth checking the wheel is still true and uncracked and the wheel spindle isn't bent.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:44 - 18 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure I would pay £175 for pitted forks. Wemoto have new pattern for tubes for £112 each

All the best

Keith

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 18 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't restrict yourself to eBay. I found my replacement forks from somebody in the states that was breaking a bike, on a forum. Postage over here was a bit expensive, but the forks were good condition, and it wasn't able to find any in the UK at the time!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2