Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dont forget, now new tex disc from octobre

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Dont forget, now new tex disc from octobre Reply with quote

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/tax-disc-scrapped-from-october/25304.html

Dont know if everyone noews about his, but heres a little reminder i stumbled across

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remind me...Grrrr.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT wrote:
Don't remind me...Grrrr.

Tax due soon, or just the ball ache of having to reclaim the last of the tax when selling. imho this is were they will make extra cash, people wont bother reclaiming the last tax while the new owner will pay for another full year of new tax

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:23 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

They have an easier way to make money. Pretty much every time a vehicle is sold it will land up with a month paid twice (once for the previous owner cancelling it, and once for the new owner taking it out).

All the best

Keith

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tax due soon and yes the handy way in which revenue will be extracted.

Guess Paddy. chose a good time to stop buying vehicles every month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: Dont forget, now new tex disc from octobre Reply with quote

Quote:
This also means that vehicle tax will no longer carry over to the next owner. If you’re buying a used vehicle from October 2014, you’ll have to tax it yourself, even if it has tax leftover from the previous owner.

Now, that I did not know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CieL
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:19 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I have to renew my tax in August 2014 I'll probably get a new tax disc that I have to display till October 2014, then can I kill it with fire? Twisted Evil

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CieL wrote:
So, if I have to renew my tax in August 2014 I'll probably get a new tax disc that I have to display till October 2014, then can I kill it with fire? Twisted Evil

No, any tax disks you buy still display a year as normal. They're just changing the rules to stitch us up a bit better.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when the new rules come in, if you go to look at a car/bike being sold privately, decide you like it and buy it on the spot, how do you get it home? Can you drive it home then tax it, or do you have to go away, tax it with the new keeper supplement, come back and pick the vehicle up later? Or are they saying people should go view a car, then if they like it go away, wait for the post office to open, tax it, go back to the person selling and complete the exchange?

That's the bit I don't understand. If so, it's going to suck if you want to go view a car or bike on the other end of the country with the intention of buying if it checks out.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
So when the new rules come in, if you go to look at a car/bike being sold privately, decide you like it and buy it on the spot, how do you get it home? Can you drive it home then tax it, or do you have to go away, tax it with the new keeper supplement, come back and pick the vehicle up later? Or are they saying people should go view a car, then if they like it go away, wait for the post office to open, tax it, go back to the person selling and complete the exchange?

That's the bit I don't understand. If so, it's going to suck if you want to go view a car or bike on the other end of the country with the intention of buying if it checks out.

I'm sure the DVLA will have an 0845 hotline set up (at £1.50 per minute) for you to tax at your convenience. Rolling Eyes

krarkol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of all the lovely letters giving people the fantastic opportunity of a day out in court when this rolls in!

It still confuses me how I'd go and buy a bike and ride it home legally seeing as it will not have tax? Or do they use that first month as a sort of "leeway"?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:45 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
I'm sure the DVLA will have an 0845 hotline set up (at £1.50 per minute) for you to tax at your convenience. Rolling Eyes

https://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

Wink

krarkol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look on there website. This makes me weep.

Because every Post Office is within vicinity of someone selling a vehicle.

Don't have my V5C to hand, but I'm guessing the middle paragraph is saying if you have a phone at hand, you could theoretically do it there and then?

Fuckups wrote:
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by phone - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Alternatively, you may wish to visit a Post Office® branch.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 25 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

krarkol wrote:
Just had a look on there website. This makes me weep.

Because every Post Office is within vicinity of someone selling a vehicle.

Don't have my V5C to hand, but I'm guessing the middle paragraph is saying if you have a phone at hand, you could theoretically do it there and then?

Fuckups wrote:
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by phone - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Alternatively, you may wish to visit a Post Office® branch.

But officer, the post office is closed and my phone has no battery?

I predict most people will just drive the car home counting on the ANPR not registering the change in owner until after they're back home and have taxed it on their computer or at the posties the next day. (since the V5c won't reach the DVLA until later in the week).

krarkol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why a week "cool off" period can't be implemented. So you can drive the vehicle home instantly and have a week to sort it.
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

krarkol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant so you can do it "legally".

Technically as soon as the forms have been sent off, the vehicle doesn't have any tax at all.

If you got a really picky copper, he could probably say it's not taxed in your name.

It won't flag up, but if you got pulled for any reason he may notice it.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a kick in the teeth for the designers of beer bottle labels.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:46 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely unless the seller is a total knob and cancels the tax right away, you'd have a day or two of it being still taxed until the DVLA gets all the details?

Ive bought cars on a weekend with no tax and drove them home, on the basis that, unless the copper is a complete and utter cunt looking for someone whos day he can ruin, if I did get pulled theyd just tell me to get it taxed ASAP and not let them catch me without it again or give me a producer.

Also does this mean that in October my tax disc becomes invalid and I have to re-tax it for a year online? Or does the tax already paid still count and I dont have to renew it til it expires? Neutral

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Surely unless the seller is a total knob and cancels the tax right away, you'd have a day or two of it being still taxed until the DVLA gets all the details?

Ive bought cars on a weekend with no tax and drove them home, on the basis that, unless the copper is a complete and utter cunt looking for someone whos day he can ruin, if I did get pulled theyd just tell me to get it taxed ASAP and not let them catch me without it again or give me a producer.

Exactly. Just agree with the seller that should you be stopped by the police on the ride home, that the bike was taken on an 'extended test ride' and that's the end of it. You would have insurance for the bike anyway so it makes little difference. Then once you get home, buy the tax.

I rode my DL650 from peterborough to Belgium (via motorways) sans tax. Passed 3 police cars and thankfully didn't get stopped.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:47 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't know the details of how exactly they will mong it up.

I'm keeping my powder dry until then.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the new system surely you should be able to tax from the minute not just the month like you can insurance.

It used to be a selling point if a vehicle had tax on it, always paid a lot less if it had no tax, usually more than the cost of the tax.

Also why should I now pay for 1st-14th of a month when I collect the vehicle on the 15th? How much would I get back if I sold my vehicle on the 15th of a month? What will happen is that most sales of vehicles will happen at the end/start of a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Under the new system surely you should be able to tax from the minute not just the month like you can insurance.

It used to be a selling point if a vehicle had tax on it, always paid a lot less if it had no tax, usually more than the cost of the tax.

Also why should I now pay for 1st-14th of a month when I collect the vehicle on the 15th? How much would I get back if I sold my vehicle on the 15th of a month? What will happen is that most sales of vehicles will happen at the end/start of a month.

You won't get anything. It will still be whole months only for taxing and refunds.

As Kieth says, money for nothing for the government. Evil or Very Mad . They are going to make a killing.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:02 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:

If it is the change of keeper that triggers the tax to be cancelled then you would be asking the old owner to keep the potential liability for any offences committed by someone driving / riding the vehicle.

All the best

Keith

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:21 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they finally allow change of keeper online, I'd do it before the new owner rides off, cancelling the VED.

If as a condition of sale I tell you that I'll do you a favour and wait until you've got home, better believe that I'll do it (and the insurance as well) the instant you're round the corner.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5