BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dry Bags

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

delsol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Dry Bags Reply with quote

Needing a new dry-bag, the roll bag type.

I'm looking for a larger size bag in the 80-100 litres range.

Low cost would be nice, any recommendations from the BCF ?

This sort of thing pls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mgh0
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:16 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html#a776

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this LOMO for the back of the bike and it's been great so far: https://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/dry-bag-holdalls-60L.html. Smaller than you say you want but it seems huge to me. I've not got close to filling it.

Last edited by noobRider on 12:32 - 27 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total

kelvyn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:47 - 26 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:37 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelvyn wrote:
LOMO.

+1
I'm currently in Chaves Portugal, with a 40ltr Lomo beside me.
It's tough, robust and cheap. However I wouldn't have a bag bigger than 60ltr as anything bigger is HUGE, blocking out the rear view, not to mention the sheer weight of it when full acting as an air brake

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:06 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with PoB. Two smaller bags are better and easier to pack than one big one.

I have a 70 litre drybag and it is WAY too big to pack on the bike neatly.

Two bags also means you can split your gear so if one of them suffers an incident*, it doesn't trash all your gear.

*eg, burned on exhaust, falling off, rubbing on wheel, getting jammed between the back wheel and the subframe then catching fire (I really recommend avoiding this one!) turning out to have a hole in it and getting wet, exploding beer can, exploding aerosol, coming open. To mention but a few I've had over the years.

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:22 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1x 30 ltr, 2 x 40 ltr and 1 x 60 ltr lomo bags, and an 89ltr ortleib rack pack. The ortleib is way too big. It would make me feel unsafe trying to do lifesavers while switching lanes on motorways, as it blocks my view.
I'd use the 60 lomo at a push, a 40 lomo is ideal as it doesn't block my rear view in the mirrors.
If I was using 2 bags I'd use a 30 + 40, or 2 x 40's. but atm I'm using 1 x 40 ltr lomo and hard cases

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 31 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my HELD 60L bag attached to the back of my bike (loaded on top of a tent pack).

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk301/arryR32/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140726_114247_zps3c5d8e2b.jpg

Quality is good overall. It was very cheap (£32 delivered IIRC) from GetGeared and, when not pushed up high by being on top of the tent, was fine for visibility (albeit I did have to tweak the mirrors outwards a bit)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 31 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a LOMO 30L which I think is brilliant for the money.

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:05 - 31 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
This is my HELD 60L bag attached to the back of my bike (loaded on top of a tent pack).

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk301/arryR32/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140726_114247_zps3c5d8e2b.jpg

Quality is good overall. It was very cheap (£32 delivered IIRC) from GetGeared and, when not pushed up high by being on top of the tent, was fine for visibility (albeit I did have to tweak the mirrors outwards a bit)

You'd be better loading the narrower bag on top and redistributing the weight to aid your view in the mirrors IMO, especially as I have the same bike I'm aware how poor the Mirrors are

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 31 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peirre oBollox wrote:

You'd be better loading the narrower bag on top and redistributing the weight to aid your view in the mirrors IMO, especially as I have the same bike I'm aware how poor the Mirrors are

Yeah, definitely live and learn. The tent was quite a heavy old boy and all the stuff in the rollbag bar my DSLR was quite squishy, and I didn't want to damage it - but I could have put my rucksack in the roll bag and the camera in the panniers. Oh well Laughing

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 31 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 60l lomo

If stuffed, it does block a little the view from the mirrors. But just do more life savers to compensate.

I was thinking it was too big initially, but now I appreciate its versatility. On the SV I can pack it deep, leave the ends clear and made it narrow to avoid blocking mirrors.

On the Striple, the bike is shorter, so I need to pack tall and thin to be able to sit on the bike comfortably. Having the 60L is useful.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 31 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to think who and where, but recently saw a LOMO bag mounted longways on the back of someone's bike, so didn't block his mirror view at all. He said it was a 60l, seemed happy enough with it. Might have to get myself one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1