Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1 thing after another!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:58 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: 1 thing after another! Reply with quote

Hello lads/ladies

I bought myself a Aprillia RS125 2004 about 6 months ago, it had been fine till i blew the piston about 2 weeks ago. It had new piston/cylinder/gaskets etc. (yes i done a good job on it lol)

I was told to not take it over 4000/5000 on the revs for a good 100mile which i only got to about 90mile. I was out on it trying to clock up over the 100mile and it started to die on me (it was loosing power and kept trying to cut out). Eventually it did and i couldn't start it again. So i tried to "bump" it and it was trying its best to tick over but only for a few minutes and got to the point that it just wouldn't start at all. so i had to push it home about half mile (which was a killer lol)

Next day i started it with the electric start and with the choke on an it started 1st time (seemed to be a bit more smokey than usual), soon as i turned the choke off it would die again. I havent tried to drive it with choke on as ive heard it can do damage?

Any recommendations? Could do with a step by step guide as im a ameuter with motorbikes.

Thanks alot an hope its nothing to bad.....

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you 'blew the piston', what exactly does that mean?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:08 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
When you say you 'blew the piston', what exactly does that mean?

It had a little gash in it and had scratched the inside of the cylinder, they give me 2 choices, "boar" it (i think its called that) with new piston or put a new cylinder in plus piston. so i choose the new cylinder option

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piston gouged could mean a heat seize or a problem with lubrication, or possibly a foreign object got into the intake. There's only one thing to do - strip the head and barrel off again for inspection.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:23 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a big thing or it is?.
At the moment i have recently been made redundant so haven't got much money to spend on it, and labour in the garage is pretty pricey just for them to have a look.

So is there anyway i can find a step by step way to try it myself? or would you not advise it as i dont really know what im doing.....

(its just that the weather is beautiful and its killing me seeing it sat there not working lol)

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:27 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for a start I'd not have worried about keeping it at such low RPM.

Yes, it needs to be run in, but I would certainly be hitting 6-8k at regular intervals, maybe taking it further when the engine is really warm, 65-70 degrees plus.

4-5000 on a 2 stroke, you are barely doing anything to the carbon build up that is going to deposit itself on your spark plug.

What I would do...

Remove the spark plug and replace it with a new one, how desrestricted is your RS?

I'd then fire it up, and ride it gently until the temp gauge says 70... then I'd proceed to lift the revs above 5000. I'd do a few blasts to 8k every now and then in 2nd>4th gear just to give it some additional seating, however you may be past that point with those current rings. Anyhow, you are "advised" to run it in like a sissy, however I had zero problems with my "run it till its warm and increase the revs more and more until you hit 300 miles and then flat out everywhere"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:40 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remove the spark plug and replace it with a new one, how desrestricted is your RS?

I was told it had been derestricted to the max ( ive had 105mph) but was told it can do 115mph.

The mechanic put a new spark plug in when he done it (he said) but like i say i dont really know much about the bike, i will have a look in morning but could this be my problem with it dying on me? i had done 90miles in about 4 days and i was riding for about 20mins on the last day before it just cut out.

id rather try little things like that 1st than take it all apart if that makes sense

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:47 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go buy a new BR10EG plug, put that in. You won't see over a genuine 100mph, so don't do magic sums Wink the speedo will be lying to you but 100mph for a learner is MORE than enough Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:56 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Go buy a new BR10EG plug, put that in. You won't see over a genuine 100mph, so don't do magic sums Wink the speedo will be lying to you but 100mph for a learner is MORE than enough Mr. Green

Ive just looked and the plug in there at the moment is a BR8EG plug....

could it have burnt out then?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:15 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if its fully derestricted you want a BR10EG plug. Thumbs Up

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:20 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Well if its fully derestricted you want a BR10EG plug.Thumbs Up

Il give it ago thanks very much.

any other ideas why it keeps cutting out?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:35 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a bike that likes revs, the revs help burn the oil that is mixing with the fuel.

Currently you are not revving it, it is running a plug which is meant for a restricted engine. Both of those probably aren't helping matters and fouling the plug will make it a complete swine to start and could possibly tie in with the slow loss of power.

However, a slight continual decrease could also be signs of seizure... has the guy that rebuilt it bled the oil pump and are you running decent oil?

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:47 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, a slight continual decrease could also be signs of seizure... has the guy that rebuilt it bled the oil pump and are you running decent oil?

yes he drained all the old oil and put fresh in (couldnt tell you the exact oil tho)

Im thinking it cant be something major tho as it starts 1st time with the choke fully on, just as soon as i turn the choke off then it cuts off..... Neutral

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:21 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with the new plug, get that in and take it for a nice ride but try giving it some beans after like 5 miles or so, should warm up fairly fast in the current weather anyway.

Ride away with it off choke, it should run without it happily on a new plug, if not, start it and ride gently on choke for about 20 seconds, knock it off and give it some more revs. Try to keep under 6k until its warm though Thumbs Up

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:44 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update:

Ive gone to the bike today and its not sparking at the plug (did look a bit black aswell), took the cap off and tried it with just the wires and its still didnt have a spark but my lights/horn/indicators etc work.

So is it my coil? or is there something else to look at?

much appreciated.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:53 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

A BR8 is the plug for a restricted bike. But if you are running in that is probably a good thing (change it to a 10 before you thrash it). An 8 will be less prone to fouling up.

With the spark, first check that the kill switch is set to run (plenty of Aprilias will crank over with the kill switch set to off, just not fire). Check the clearance between the ignition pickup and the flywheel.

I would be more tempted to look at the carb for the reason it was cutting out. Blocked fuel filter, blocked fuel tank breather, or the like.

All the best

Keith

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:11 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi keith,

the kill switch is defo set to run (unless its faulty), i dont understand what you mean by clearance between the ignition pickup and the flywheel? where would this be located? (sorry for being pretty thick but its all learning for me)

about the carb, i opened it up earlier and everything seemed to be clear and couldnt find any blockages, (pretty clean for what i was expecting)

thanks

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:25 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatball23 wrote:
i dont understand what you mean by clearance between the ignition pickup and the flywheel? where would this be located?

If you take off the o/s engine cover you will find the ignition flywheel. Looking at this at about the 10 o'clock position you will see the pickup. There is a clearance specified for this (from memory I can't remember it). If too wide the bike won't spark . If just a bit too wide it fails to spark at low revs. Seen one where it would bump start fine but the starter motor wouldn't crank it over fast enough to spark.

Also worth trying another spark plug. Sometimes you just get a dodgy one.

All the best

Keith

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 29 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence, but with your financial situation, and the fact nearly all work on the bike you are paying someone to do for you, then a highly strung 125cc sportsbike is not really the right machine for you at the moment IMO.

I happen to think expensive to run and maintenance finicky/demanding high performance 2strokes are anything but an ideal learner bike, and most will due to their nature, and owners running to a tight budget will be neglected to a greater or lesser extent.

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:48 - 29 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
No offence, but with your financial situation, and the fact nearly all work on the bike you are paying someone to do for you, then a highly strung 125cc sportsbike is not really the right machine for you at the moment IMO.

I happen to think expensive to run and maintenance finicky/demanding high performance 2strokes are anything but an ideal learner bike, and most will due to their nature, and owners running to a tight budget will be neglected to a greater or lesser extent.

I agree 100% when i bought it i was employed and had a stable job,got made redundant and everything went down hill from there really, im trying to get it up and running again to sell it (as its cost me enough already an dont really want to sell it a non-runner, unless i get a good enough offer) then im going to invest in a 4-stroke, just cause the fact they are less maintenaince and go for miles (so i believe)

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:27 - 29 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatball23 wrote:
4-stroke, just cause the fact they are less maintenance and go for miles (so i believe)

Not less maintenance overall but definitely more of a day to day bike for someone now too handy with spanners and the like Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:42 - 29 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatball23 wrote:
then im going to invest in a 4-stroke, just cause the fact they are less maintenaince and go for miles (so i believe)

In some ways more maintenance. Valve to adjust. More frequent oil changes. Etc.

Problem isn't so much 2 strokes, it is that you are currently dealing with a 2 stroke that is in a very high state of tune. Ports, etc, are designed for close to 30hp, which in specific hp makes a BMW S1000RR look a bit weedy.

The NSR125 (for example) is in a bit lower state of tune. Sure you lose a bit of power in comparison but engine wise you gain in reliability. There used to be plenty of low powered 100cc 2 strokes (similar kind of power to the 125 4 stroke learner bikes) which would go on for ever.

All the best

Keith

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:04 - 29 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice guys,

At the moment im having trouble starting it, manage to get a spark now (nice spark aswell) but still wont seem to start, any more advice?
other than new spark plug or bike lol Razz

thanks lads

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:55 - 29 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is the bike safe from the rain? If so then leave the plug out over night and let things dry out for a bit. Fair chance it has got flooded from repeated attempts to start it (make sure the petrol is turned off as well).

All the best

Keith

Meatball23
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:51 - 29 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Keith thanks, ive tried alot of things the last few days (this problem is really starting to f**k me off now lol) but this is not 1 of them so il give it ago and get back to you in morning

thanks alot
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2