Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another old Moped project.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 05 Jun 2014    Post subject: Another old Moped project. Reply with quote

I've just got my girlfriend an old moped as she is showing an interest in bikes. I let her have her name on the V5 but it's my project really Laughing

I had one exactly like this when I was 16 and it got me into bikes. I sold it for some quick money and regretted it ever since and have been searching ebay etc to try and buy it back. This is as close as it seems I can get, same colour, same model just slightly newer.

https://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff501/harrybarfield/puch3.jpg

https://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff501/harrybarfield/puch.jpg

The previous owner has already had a go at tidying it up but at minimal expense as he got it to sell on. Im going to replace all the cables, give it a once over, change the chains and generally tidy it up. I have a couple of old moped's knocking around at home so I may put some parts off those on this one as its a runner like modern tyres and switch the bars and headlight to something a bit better. I'm also after a dual seat, not for passengers but just because I had one on my old 'XDU 828K' bike. The OH wants some little leather panniers on it to put her work stuff in (bless) so will probably throw a pair of those on too.

Part of me wants to do what I always wanted to do with my old one and tune it...but the plan is to buy another one soon so we can go out together (can't have hers faster than mine!) and I think following her on my SV would be torture!

I know this isn't going to be everyones cup of tea and I haven't been posting on here for some time now but i still thought I would share and maybe update if anyone is interested?

Ta,

Harry.
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:05 - 05 Jun 2014    Post subject: Re: Another old Moped project. Reply with quote

hazza wrote:
...I may put some parts off those on this one as its a runner like modern tyres and switch the bars and headlight to something a bit better. I'm also after a dual seat, not for passengers but just because I had one on my old 'XDU 828K' bike....

I believe the thinking on these is to keep it as standard as you can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 05 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

hazza wrote:
...I may put some parts off those on this one as its a runner like modern tyres and switch the bars and headlight to something a bit better. I'm also after a dual seat, not for passengers but just because I had one on my old 'XDU 828K' bike....

I believe the thinking on these is to keep it as standard as you can.

I'm not going to street fighter it or anything, I will be using period parts from higher spec'd models and just some modern tyres as these look pretty original!

Something like this :

https://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff501/harrybarfield/puchmod.jpg
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 05 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of your chains is slack.

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 05 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice moped project. Smile

Well I think the bigger seat would look good and be more comfortable, and some nice leather pannier's would be a cool touch.

But it really must have a curvy fat snake of a spannie fitted, it's the law on this type of moped!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of progress here already. Spent sunday messing with the little Puch. I swapped the mudguard out for a stainless steel one off another moped (Lux models I believe came standard with them?) which required me fabricating a bracket to make it fit. Changed the front brake cable and the throttle cable as they were naffed and discovered that the brake shoes were incredibly low. Trouble is they cost a fortune but I decided I should stump up the £7 for safety's sake and they should be here tomorrow. I spent the rest of the day with various cleaning chemicals and loads of Autosol. The paint came up brilliantly. A fair bit of it has gone missing over the years but what is there has come up great, no photo-filters here it really is that bright! The wonders of Super Resin Polish eh!

After that I changed the gearbox oil and now bar the brake shoes it's ready for the MOT on saturday Laughing

More to come though, getting road legal is the first step for this project.
I've had a little go at the back of the house and even at 25mph it's quite scary on tiny little wheels!

https://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff501/harrybarfield/ourpuch.jpg

Stephenniall
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old hardtail Puch Maxi in the shed in about 200 pieces !

Always wanted to restore it but just lost the will.

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have an old hardtail Puch Maxi in the shed in about 200 pieces !

200 pieces? You must have about 4 of them then!

This is everything that is inside an E50 engine when you split the cases:
https://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff501/harrybarfield/e50.jpg

Stephenniall
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the engine in pieces, I have everything !

When I bought it, it looked like this

https://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/Stephen-Niall/Before1.jpg

Had a seized engine, and so much rust.

I submerged the frame and used electrolytic rust removal to clean it.

https://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/Stephen-Niall/Bin1.jpg

The E50 engine I have is an earlier model than yours, mine doesn't have a separate clutch cover.

https://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/Stephen-Niall/20130428_153953.jpg

I badly sprayed the frame, built a rack & some ghetto ammo box panniers for it. Then bought myself a running bike and just never finished the resto !

https://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/Stephen-Niall/2013-05-14163310.jpg
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call Iain! Just ordered a used top tree from YPV Spares so I can change the bars from the quill bicycle stem style to some proper clamp on bars.

I like the look of these!

https://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff501/harrybarfield/techno.jpg

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 12 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carvel wrote:
One of your chains is slack.
Look again, it has a tensioner at low level so not slack

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 13 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that chain is anything but slack! It's too tight in fairness!

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 16 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it passed the MOT needing only the headlight to be properly aligned. It cut out on the way at some traffic lights so I had to deploy the pedals to get away from the lights before starting it up again. Turns out once warmed up the tick over was set too low. This is now sorted and I have to say once initially off the line it pulls quite well all the way up to the dizzying speeds of 30MPH. I'm glad I was wearing my full-face because i was grinning from ear to ear riding it, must have looked like a right tit. I need to get a new Decomp cable as this one is frayed to hell but other than that it's great. I also ordered a new top plate for the forks so i could fit some clamp on bars on and they look much better than standard for this year. Will take some pic's and post.

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice order from the ever helpful YPV Spares arrived last week, unfortunately on the day I went on holiday. I got back Saturday afternoon and within half an hour I was in the garage. I have fitted a new head gasket, base gasket, intake gasket, exhaust gasket, carb rebuild kit, decoked the piston crown and exhaust port and fitted a new starter clutch cable and little brass adapters to take up the slack on the front brake.

Oh, and also an expansion chamber! Laughing

https://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff501/harrybarfield/photo9.jpg

It now does 35 ish, but seems to perform better when up to speed on partial throttle. Im going to see if i have a smaller jet to try as i think its over fuelling. I also moved the needle so that it was richer on the low end due to what i thought was lean bogging, but richening it up has made it worse, so I will try leaning it off again. It really needs a rebuild as the top end is a bit loose, but i want to wait until winter when I can do a full rebuild with a new crank and case match to the new top end I want to fit.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking very good mate! Smile

have you done a plug chop at all? It's just sometimes running better at 1/2-3/4 throttle could mean that it's a tad lean not rich?

I had terrible trouble trying to work out lean from rich jetting on my old Speedfight, and if it starts ok and doesn't sputter or die when you open the throttle, you could still be 4-5sizes or more rich or lean and not know from experience/feel. Only plug colour can tell you more really for definite IMO.

pipe looks good too, and I'd say once that's all fully re-built with a fresh top end it will be a 40mph+ moped, which is safe enough for towns and urban 30-40mph roads.

p.s that motor really is incredibly simple and looks very light too! That big reduction gear makes me think it would be a very suitable powerhead for a home built small outboard motor project too!

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking it was a lean bog at the top too, but everyone on another forum are telling me my jet is too big for my setup. Plug chops are hard on this bike. No ignition key, no kill switch. The only way to cut it is come to a stop and stall it, by which time it's not an entirely accurate reading. From what I could see, it looked perfect before moving the position of the needle. Now I've moved it's definitely rich, as is apparent from the four stroking at partial throttle. I need to get out on a run now I've leaned off the throttle as see what's what. Rebuilt it will definitely exceed 40, I'd imagine it would do a reliable 50 ish going on others setup's with 65/70 cc kit's. Speed's in excess of 75 mph are achievable with enough money, reed valves and the realisation that it will be totally un-reliable as no good on the road!

I'm seriously considering a front end swap with a disk brake conversion when my kit goes on. The brakes from 35mph are bad enough!

Bunny Lingus
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:12 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work chaps! My kind of boogie. Passed my test way back in the nineties & bought a GSXR1100 & I've been working my way up ever since. Just about to upgrade my CB100n to a C90 & its cool to know I'll have somewhere to go when I get bored of the performance Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1