Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

virus and wafer-thin-ham perceived as offensive

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Topic moved: from New Bikers to Forum Feedback & Help by stinkwheel (13 Aug 2014 - 10:31)
View previous topic : View next topic  

sqarider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:58 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: virus and wafer-thin-ham perceived as offensive Reply with quote

the two subject members have come across rather offensive and dismissive when I asked a question on the forums, in the workshop section. forgive me as I am a new member and I am unsure whether there is a ban on "stupid questions" that annoy highly experienced track racers who build bikes in their garage and have amassed a wealth of experience far in excess of my mediocre knowledge and competence.
I'm just setting off and making mistakes as I go no doubt.
Should I post stupid questions in this"New Bikers" section , can I post in "workshop" or should I simply stay away from BCF
Not a good experience and I'm looking forward to meeting more gentile members
Feedback from Korn would be nice to calibrate my experience.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay if you wish but grow a thicker skin, best of luck to you Thumbs Up

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=21811

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is BCF you kind of have to earn your name around here. As with any group you get factions and groups which form around it. There is intergroup I wouldn't say rivalry but hussle and bussel. Consider me, I'm from 2005 till today, I crossed swords with somebody today.

And I made my first life long enemy I mean this in terms of forum rather than outside as we mix in very different social circles it is doubtful if we will ever cross paths. I'm on a very different path.

Some people loathe me, some see me indifferently, i.e. it is not all that different to the outside world.

It is normal, plus you broke a clearly marked (previously unspoken rule) i.e. you resurrected an 11 year old post EVEN THOUGH IT CLEARLY SAID NOT TO. In the old days when this wasn't marked clearly it was semi excusable. But today is it less so because it warns you not to.

So maybe be a bit more considerate of how it works here.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sqarider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:14 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
This is BCF you kind of have to earn your name around here. As with any group you get factions and groups which form around it. There is intergroup I wouldn't say rivalry but hussle and bussel. Consider me, I'm from 2005 till today, I crossed swords with somebody today.

And I made my first life long enemy I mean this in terms of forum rather than outside as we mix in very different social circles it is doubtful if we will ever cross paths. I'm on a very different path.

Some people loathe me, some see me indifferently, i.e. it is not all that different to the outside world.

It is normal, plus you broke a clearly marked (previously unspoken rule) i.e. you resurrected an 11 year old post EVEN THOUGH IT CLEARLY SAID NOT TO. In the old days when this wasn't marked clearly it was semi excusable. But today is it less so because it warns you not to.

So maybe be a bit more considerate of how it works here.

that will be my beginners ignorance then, I did see the "warning" but the thread was not locked so was offering opportunity for replies - perhaps a more intelligent / forceful solution would be to lock threads to prevent idiots resurrecting them? not sure if this can be done automatically or whether some poor soul would have to scour the forums each day which is unrealistic?

good point though and I have learnt something tonight Wink

Last edited by sqarider on 23:15 - 12 Aug 2014; edited 1 time in total

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the offending posts I conclude in my own opinion that you didnt get abused, you had a mild ribbing. If you want to understand the context of true abuse then you should visit the fights and flamewars section to see the difference. From that you can decide if you wish to stick around.

As to Korn getting involved then the chance of that is virtually zero, This forum is pretty much self moderated and occasionally a mod or Korn himself will step in when it gets a bit too bloody silly just to tap the brakes on.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an internet forum, full of the desperate and stupid, most of whom could do with being beaten across the eyes with a length of two by four. Don't take any of it too seriously.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
It's an internet forum, full of the desperate and stupid, most of whom could do with being beaten across the eyes with a length of two by four. Don't take any of it too seriously.

Did you really just post that Hetz?

Laughing

sqarider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:17 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
After reading the offending posts I conclude in my own opinion that you didnt get abused, you had a mild ribbing. If you want to understand the context of true abuse then you should visit the fights and flamewars section to see the difference. From that you can decide if you wish to stick around.

As to Korn getting involved then the chance of that is virtually zero, This forum is pretty much self moderated and occasionally a mod or Korn himself will step in when it gets a bit too bloody silly just to tap the brakes on.

not sure what company you work in or what you do for a living; I'm office based, in a major defence contractor; 5000+ employees with most staff having gone through uni . I'm 50 years old and I can tell you, its not what was said that counts, its how it comes across and is read. You'll find this in most social etiquette and in law. Its not what you meant , more about how it is received and whether offence was caused - rather than intended. and if I was offended, I was offended. period.

sounds like if I want to stick around I'll need to lower my morality and social model - or maybe just go somewhere else which would be a shame as I thought a chat forum was full of helpful people - that's been my experience of using IT since 1968 although not a speak and spell as the wonderful member suggested.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

inb4 flounce

sqarider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:23 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:

good point; maybe its the social makeup of the world when we dont speak to people but text/email/msg and post on forums; we tend to loose the charm, respect, grace and good will.

Last edited by sqarider on 23:24 - 12 Aug 2014; edited 1 time in total

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqarider wrote:
I'm office based, in a major defence contractor; 5000+ employees with most staff having gone through uni . I'm 50 years old and I can tell you, its not what was said that counts, its how it comes across and is read. You'll find this in most social etiquette and in law. Its not what you meant , more about how it is received and whether offence was caused - rather than intended. and if I was offended, I was offended. period.

But can you weld to within 4thou while hanging upside down eating fishfingers in a geyser of shit?

sqarider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:24 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
sqarider wrote:
I'm office based, in a major defence contractor; 5000+ employees with most staff having gone through uni . I'm 50 years old and I can tell you, its not what was said that counts, its how it comes across and is read. You'll find this in most social etiquette and in law. Its not what you meant , more about how it is received and whether offence was caused - rather than intended. and if I was offended, I was offended. period.

But can you weld to within 4thou while hanging upside down eating fishfingers in a geyser of shit?

I dont understand that?
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqarider wrote:
sounds like if I want to stick around I'll need to lower my morality and social model

No mate, you just need to chill the fuck out and realise that no-one cares who you are or what you do.

You may be the boss in a company where office politics is rife, but here you are just another dick with a computer who has managed to type "motorbike forum" into google.

You're not special so wind your neck in. Thumbs Up

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were honestly offended by that, then I will categorically state that this possibly isnt the most suitable place for you.

There are other alternatives that are subject to far more invasive moderation and they may suit your moral disposition more adequately, visor down, MCN to name but two.

Best of luck Thumbs Up

Sockpuppet?

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Hetzer wrote:

Did you really just post that Hetz?

Laughing

He's getting soft in his old age.

sqarider wrote:

not sure what company you work in or what you do for a living; I'm office based, in a major defence contractor; 5000+ employees with most staff having gone through uni . I'm 50 years old and I can tell you, its not what was said that counts, its how it comes across and is read. You'll find this in most social etiquette and in law. Its not what you meant , more about how it is received and whether offence was caused - rather than intended. and if I was offended, I was offended. period.

As for this bit. I have not read the aforementioned "abusive" thread which caused you offence but I do feel slightly afronted by that bit there. It is not what was said but how it was said and you spouted some bullshit about having 5000+ employees running around for you.

Personally I wouldnt give a shit if you were the Queen herself, you have came onto a forum, not introduced yourself like most normal people do, instead posted in a section begging complete strangers for help. Not even a hello and a little about you? Thats a little insulting is it not?

Back to the how it was perceived bollocks. You do not know the mentioned people so how can you tell in what context it was written? Just because YOU CHOSE to take offence does not make it offensive. If you were offended then it is your issue, not caused by someone else. You chose to be offended.

Get the fuck over it or go find a more friendly forum. If not then welcome to BCF!

Last edited by pinkyfloyd on 00:24 - 13 Aug 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqarider wrote:
I dont understand that?

BCF attracts its fair share of... people who make things up.

It might be this is my bike! in the old days you were asked to take a photo with a packet/tub of birds custard to prove it was yours.

Then you get the less stable ones who make up whoppers.

As said it is similar to the outside world, kind of like blokes who claim to have been in the SAS once you meet in the pub. Or blokes who've all owned FireBlades or had 125cc motorbikes that can go 5000mph. You get the drift.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:31 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

This is a very old thread. After this long it isn't unusual that the images are dead (there was even a message on that thread almost 2 years ago pointing out that the images were missing). And there is a large message asking if a new thread would be better than posting on such an old thread.

The response you received wasn't particularly friendly but was far from being abusive under the meaning of the ratings on here, which are explained here:-

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=22854

From your post in that thread I am not even that sure what it is you need from the thread. Are you trying to fit new hoses you have already bought? Needing to find hoses? Routing hoses? Just bleeding hoses?

All the best

Keith

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody you have offended my (questionable and dubious) honour!

I demand satisfaction!
https://bak2moi.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/gauntlet.jpg

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are so very young and new to this whole internet malarkey I offer these sage words:

Offence is taken, not given.

Your attitude in these posts demonstrates to me all to clearly what the very fuck is going wrong with this country now, i.e. everybody wants to be defended and shielded from anything remotely 'offensive'. It really does spill into everything and gets right on my tits.

Before I joined this forum, I had a read to get the lay of the land, familiarise myself if you will, with the membership and how things are done. I then took the informed decision to join knowing full well I may be presented with nobcat - I was not disappointed.

What I did NOT do, was join up, ask which colour powerband would be best for my scooter then baw like a bitch when someone took the piss.

I think the over-riding consensus is something along the lines of FIFO (fit in / fuck off) so really, you should be looking in the mirror instead.

(The views contained in this post are solely those of the poster and are not endorsed in any way by the forum owner or management - don't like it? Find someone with a spare fuck that is willing to give it.)

sqarider
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:37 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Back to the how it was perceived bollocks. You do not know the mentioned people so how can you tell in what context it was written? Just because YOU CHOSE to take offence does not make it offensive. If you were offended then it is your issue, not caused by someone else. You chose to be offended.

Get the fuck over it or go find a more friendly forum. If not then welcome to BCF!

I didnt say I HAVE 5000+ employees ; there are 5000+ staff (employees) of the company
Your language is disgusting, and if you go around talking like that to people in your life then you must be one big tough guy , know it all, and really proud of yourself with a clutch of wonderful children observing your behaviour and mirroring it - with a whole load of close friends who truly say wonderful things about you.

This forum isnt the place for me.

thank you to those who provided some insight and helpful comments however I feel the charming characters on here that fall over themselves with profanity are not the type of individuals I want to mix with so we shall leave them to their narrow lives - best of luck

ta ta

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:
As you are so very young and new to this whole internet malarkey I offer these sage words:

Offence is taken, not given.

Your attitude in these posts demonstrates to me all to clearly what the very fuck is going wrong with this country now, i.e. everybody wants to be defended and shielded from anything remotely 'offensive'. It really does spill into everything and gets right on my tits.

Before I joined this forum, I had a read to get the lay of the land, familiarise myself if you will, with the membership and how things are done. I then took the informed decision to join knowing full well I may be presented with nobcat - I was not disappointed.

What I did NOT do, was join up, ask which colour powerband would be best for my scooter then baw like a bitch when someone took the piss.

I think the over-riding consensus is something along the lines of FIFO (fit in / fuck off) so really, you should be looking in the mirror instead.

(The views contained in this post are solely those of the poster and are not endorsed in any way by the forum owner or management - don't like it? Find someone with a spare fuck that is willing to give it.)

I am the most offendederestedings by that.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqarider wrote:
This forum isnt the place for me.

thank you to those who provided some insight and helpful comments however I feel the charming characters on here that fall over themselves with profanity are not the type of individuals I want to mix with so we shall leave them to their narrow lives - best of luck

ta ta

https://i.imgur.com/dYjouhC.jpg

Oh and this also showed up when i hit google for "flounce one 9"

Thumbs Up

https://i.imgur.com/Fgm3vbI.jpg

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 12 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
pdg wrote:
A load of shit

I am the most offendederestedings by that.

Middle Finger and for luck Middle Finger
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4