Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Renthals = throttle not returning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 25 Aug 2014    Post subject: Renthals = throttle not returning Reply with quote

Fitted renthals to my hornet yesterday.

When i tighten up the switch gear housing the throttle wont return but if i loosen it up a few turns it returns fine but is sloshing around the bars.

Anyone come across this and has a fix?

thanks
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 25 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bar too thick?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 25 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it without the bar ends on?

My CBR (both) and SV had sticky throttles, I used them as cruise controls. For MOT time I undid the bar end turned it round so the staggered bit didn't lock and did it up for MOT.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 25 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the throttle housing have a little raised bump, used to locate it on the OEM bars? if so file it off.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 25 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lug on the left hand one but not on the right, there are no bar ends on atm
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:29 - 26 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushing it too far on the bars?

Wrap some tape round the bars under the housing. might help.

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 27 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought renthals for my 98 Hornet when I had that - to be honest it's not worth the hassle.

The problem I had was the bars were too wide. I may have bought handlebars that were too wide but that was the issue. The throttle cables stretched too much so it binded when you spun the bars around.

I cut about half an inch off either side to stop it binding. That worked, but I also had the problem with the lugs on the throttle housing. You are best off carefully marking the bars and then drilling the correct size hole for the lug to go into.

If you have filed them off, you can use plumber's tape as suggested. However, you then have the problem of it not being sticky enough that the switch gears move, which is dangerous and an MOT failure. Another issue is that using the tape causes the diameter of the bars to increase which makes it harder for the throttle body to slide back onto the handlebar.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 27 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:
Another issue is that using the tape causes the diameter of the bars to increase which makes it harder for the throttle body to slide back onto the handlebar.

Rolling Eyes
You only put it where the housing is... Not on the whole section Thumbs Up

I just used a single layer of gaffer tape. More than enough to ensure a solid grip.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 27 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to sound full retard but anyone able to do a paint diagram of this.

Tape as in only where the switch gear touches the bars?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 27 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the tube slides inside the switchgear.

Remove switchgear, slide bare tube onto the bar, mark with sharpie.

Also check you have enough slack in the return cable. If the slack is too little the throttle will bind.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 27 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conzar wrote:
Tape as in only where the switch gear touches the bars?

Yep.

Just make sure its not near the throttle tube.

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 27 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:
I also bought renthals for my 98 Hornet when I had that - to be honest it's not worth the hassle.

The problem I had was the bars were too wide. I may have bought handlebars that were too wide but that was the issue. The throttle cables stretched too much so it binded when you spun the bars around.

I cut about half an inch off either side to stop it binding. That worked, but I also had the problem with the lugs on the throttle housing. You are best off carefully marking the bars and then drilling the correct size hole for the lug to go into.

If you have filed them off, you can use plumber's tape as suggested. However, you then have the problem of it not being sticky enough that the switch gears move, which is dangerous and an MOT failure. Another issue is that using the tape causes the diameter of the bars to increase which makes it harder for the throttle body to slide back onto the handlebar.

I have a '99 Hornet and fitted the Rental Ultra Low bars and have not had an issue with the cables at all. Standard cables, too. Fitting was relatively straight forward to, just matching up to drill a hole and it was fine once that was sorted.

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 27 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have derped with mine, then

Major Doss
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:14 - 28 Aug 2014    Post subject: Re: Renthals = throttle not returning Reply with quote

Conzar wrote:
Fitted renthals to my hornet yesterday.

When i tighten up the switch gear housing the throttle wont return but if i loosen it up a few turns it returns fine but is sloshing around the bars.

Anyone come across this and has a fix?

thanks

Stick the old 'bars back on. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:53 - 28 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cables are stretched or the curved cable housing the comes out of the twist grip is twisted and positioned wrongly.

It IS doable with standard length cables. You may need to rethink the routing.

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 28 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cables are not stretched need to sort it later

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 28 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this problem once, turned out to be a slightly bent handlebar.

As the renthal is one piece, and probably new, doubtful.

Past: CB125TDC | TZR125 | GPZ500 | CBR600F3 | ZX9-R | GSXR1000 K4
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1